1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mercury
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BALLY_FREEDOM_PINBALL_MACHINE_1976_EM_07_fsek (resized).jpg
    1201743433 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I have played the em version of this table and like it.It has the bumpers at the top and not the prototype one with the bumper arrangement

like "Fantastic."I do have a couple questions about this table..I have read that the Back glass has the people's heads too large.Is this true

or just an optical illusion if you will.

Also is this a game for tournament play? Some say the awards are luck based instead of skill based.The wheel does spin randomly for its awards.

However other games have similar rules where double bonus is awarded when your ball lands in the saucer and double bonus just happens to be lit like in
    "Hot tip".I see that game in Papa tournaments but not "Freedom" .Appreciate any help.Thanks.

1201743433 (resized).jpgBALLY_FREEDOM_PINBALL_MACHINE_1976_EM_07_fsek (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

nicovolta Is sure to chime in about the Freedom prototype, but perhaps he can also comment on the production version as well.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mercury:

Also is this a game for tournament play? Some say the awards are luck based instead of skill based.The wheel does spin randomly for its awards.

I don't think it makes a particularly good tournament game. Hot Tip's hole is more skill based, as you can bounce the ball to change the award, and it's easier to fall into. Most times you shoot up top you will fall in the hole, so it's only a matter of time before you get double bonus. Meanwhile you can play multiple games of Freedom without getting the lit spinners, for instance. Also, the most valuable thing in Hot Tip isn't the double bonus, it's lighting the spinner, which can't be done via the hole. Double bonus and light spinners on Freedom are only available via the hole. SS Hot Tip also awards double bonus off the drops, so it can be achieved skillfully.

Not to focus on Hot Tip too much, but it's a good example of the differences between the games. Many games have some amount of luck but it's always on a scale, and Freedom is pretty far to the luck side of it

#4 1 year ago

Naturally I like the prototype version, because it's my favorite EM! I think the luck/skill factors are pretty well balanced, though Zac may have a point with Hot Tip. I need more time to compare those two.

Anyway, Freedom is from Bally's "awesomest era". Big backglasses, DC power, fast gameplay, and pretty good rules too. The regular production version isn't quite as satisfying to me because the shots are more V-shaped than the figure-eight prototype... but still quite enjoyable.

The random wheel awards are superior to Fan-Tas-Tic because a) you don't have to wait for the roulette wheel to finish, b) they aren't insane-good like "triple bonus" and "advance to max", and c) you get the award you line up yourself... it isn't totally random if you're good.

Fan-Tas-Tic is terrible for tournaments but beginners LOVE IT. I think Freedom is a good tourney game too. Feels great to roll it over twice... something I've only done once, and barely at that.

I like it. Bally was surging strong during this period through their 1981 peak.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

The random wheel awards are superior to Fan-Tas-Tic because a) you don't have to wait for the roulette wheel to finish, b) they aren't insane-good like "triple bonus" and "advance to max", and c) you get the award you line up yourself... it isn't totally random if you're good.

Waiting for it to stop and nudging it in is the best part of that game!

Can't line up awards in Freedom either since the spinner changes it.

Fan-Tas-Tic would be much better if
    a) you collected your bonus 1x when you drained
    b) your end of ball bonus was multiplied by your star count

#6 1 year ago

Cradle ball, shoot right kickout, get award. Is line-uppable.

#7 1 year ago

And yeah, NO BONUS on Fan-Tas-Tic is mean as hell. Getting three stars is also pretty darn rare. That game is all over the place... but also why it is so goofy and fun with friends.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Cradle ball, shoot right kickout, get award. Is line-uppable.

You mean the hole that goes right into the shooter lane?

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Getting three stars is also pretty darn rare

I rarely even get two :/ I've even considered locking the first star on just because.

I tried to mod it to do bonus count down once but I think it would have required like three other relays and many wiring changes. One relay added is about my limit

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

You mean the hole that goes right into the shooter lane?

Well, yeah... it is tricky, but doable! I'm with you on the nudge/score technique at the top. Fun to get just the right bounce before cashing it in.

Quoted from zacaj:

I rarely even get two :/ I've even considered locking the first star on just because.
    I tried to mod it to do bonus count down once but I think it would have required like three other relays and many wiring changes. One relay added is about my limit

Hmmmmm. Now you've got me thinking. Disconnect the bonus unit reset coil from the outhole switch (so it doesn't reset when outhole relay engages). Then jump the bonus score on the wheel to... ok... maybe I need to do this.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

Hmmmmm. Now you've got me thinking. Disconnect the bonus unit reset coil from the outhole switch (so it doesn't reset when outhole relay engages). Then jump the bonus score on the wheel to... ok... maybe I need to do this.

Send me your notes

#11 1 year ago

Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 234.99
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 199.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 209.99
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 209.99
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 295.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside