IMG_20221218_054157020 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221207_133539791 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221207_133555930 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221207_075553665 (resized).jpg
Jones Plug Repair (Male) (resized).png
E5B54DD7-4328-468B-9DAE-3990A0134B40 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20221216_104657738 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this burnt hole / missing jones plug (this is the first EM version of Freedom with the pop bumper between the flippers)?

IMG_20221216_104657738 (resized).jpgIMG_20221216_104657738 (resized).jpg

I don't see any replacement parts on EBAY.

Yes, I did find these links but looking for the best suggestion:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-fabricating-jones-plugs

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-can-i-find-male-jones-plugs

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Searching for pinball jones plug on ebay yields 6 results
Or post to https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-em-seeking-parts-thread

#3 1 year ago

Replacing an entire jones plug is a royal PITA, difficult to solder. I suggest fix only the burnt pin. Enlarge the burnt hole a bit, solder the wire onto the well cleaned pin. Yes it will have to be inserted and pulled along with the rest of the jones plug. Some may consider this a hack...but it works with what you have on hand.. If you need a pin, or the entire jones plug, just ask. You might investigate why it burnt. Lots of current and too much resistance equals heat.

#4 1 year ago

Being that’s it’s the last prong, I would just fix it as a single plug, cut a little divot in the side of the burned hole so when you remove the large plug, the small wire slips out and then you remove the single plug. Fixed in 15 minutes vs re-soldering 12 plugs and creating more issues. Unless you are a perfectionist. Fix it and play.

#5 1 year ago

Okay thanks.

Yes, I need a pin if someone has a spare.

#6 1 year ago

Just use one of these from the backbox. You will never use them all.

E5B54DD7-4328-468B-9DAE-3990A0134B40 (resized).jpegE5B54DD7-4328-468B-9DAE-3990A0134B40 (resized).jpeg
#7 1 year ago

I used this repair method on a Gottlieb, should work for a Bally.

Jones Plug Repair (Male) (resized).pngJones Plug Repair (Male) (resized).png
#8 1 year ago

These are NOT Howard Jones connectors! They were made by Bally's in house company, PHEONIX CONNECTOR and are not the same center to center. I would just wire them all to terminals mounted where the plug used to be. This was done to make assenbly easly at the factory and there is NEVER a need to disconect this plug.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from timarnold:

These are NOT Howard Jones connectors! They were made by Bally's in house company, PHEONIX CONNECTOR and are not the same center to center. I would just wire them all to terminals mounted where the plug used to be. This was done to make assenbly easly at the factory and there is NEVER a need to disconect this plug.

Okay, I stand corrected. I guess I was using the term "Jones connector" as a general term for the type of connector. What does "not the same center to center" mean?

Also, I have the game ripped apart and restoring it as it was dirty as all get out. I'm not sure what "NEVER a need to disconnect this plug" means. You mean in general once the game is up and running?

IMG_20221207_075553665 (resized).jpgIMG_20221207_075553665 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221207_133555930 (resized).jpgIMG_20221207_133555930 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221207_133539791 (resized).jpgIMG_20221207_133539791 (resized).jpg

IMG_20221218_054157020 (resized).jpgIMG_20221218_054157020 (resized).jpg

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

I'm not sure what "NEVER a need to disconnect this plug" means. You mean in general once the game is up and running?

It's not the usual type of plug where you'd need to disconnect it in order to remove the game's head for disassembly, or to remove the mech board from the cabinet to work on it, etc. It's only connecting things together that are on the mech board itself so no need to ever unplug it.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

It's not the usual type of plug where you'd need to disconnect it in order to remove the game's head for disassembly, or to remove the mech board from the cabinet to work on it, etc. It's only connecting things together that are on the mech board itself so no need to ever unplug it.

Gotcha... Thanks!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this burnt hole / missing jones plug (this is the first EM version of Freedom with the pop bumper between the flippers)?
[quoted image]
I don't see any replacement parts on EBAY.
Yes, I did find these links but looking for the best suggestion:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-fabricating-jones-plugs
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-can-i-find-male-jones-plugs
Thanks!

GI wiring was amended to two White/Green 16 awg size wires. with 14 pin Jones plug.
-------------------------------
I dub in an extra wire [ White-Green ](Captain Fan) has the same problem.
I use quick disconnection plugs. [ cabinet fuse block ]
For BB connector, if there is an open pin, add extra wire for GI to take current pressure
off the single pin. [ with Captain Fan, one can add an extra brown wire to the plugs ]

1 week later
#13 1 year ago

I know everyone has a different approach to restoring games, but generally I don't "rip apart" games until any outstanding issues are resolved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-freedom-em-jones-plug-replacement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.