(Topic ID: 207993)

Bally Flipper Coils - "Converting" a 5050 / Weaker hold = weaker flip?

By PhilGreg

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PhilGreg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hello,
I'm finishing the restoration of a BOPP (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bobby-orrs-power-play-from-scrapper-to-power-player), and when I did a few test runs I thought the left flipper felt weaker than the right one.
On the right I have a AQ-25-500 / 34-4500 and on the left I have a AQ-25-500 / 34-5050.
Now my understanding is that the second part of the coil # is the hold circuit and the first part is the power circuit for initial flipping. In that case I would then think that both flippers would feel equally strong when flipping and the left one would somehow have less hold power (though I'm not sure how that would manifest - maybe when catching a high velocity ball?)

So would that mean that my issue is not with the coil itself?
Also, since the power circuits should be identical and the wire gauge on the hold circuit is the same, would removing 500 turns on the 5050 "convert" it to a 4500?

Since the upper flippers don't hold, maybe I could also just put the 5050 on one of the uppers since only the 500 circuit gets used up there?

If anybody can help me clear that up, it would be appreciated!

Thanks
Phil

#5 6 years ago

Thank you folks, will try that out when I have a minute.

#6 6 years ago

Yep, did the swap and that did the trick. Thanks folks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flipper-coils-converting-a-5050-weaker-hold-weaker-flip?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.