pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20210708_195212443_2 (resized).jpg
Capture2 (resized).JPG
Capture1 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
Flip Flop_LI (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballdad1961.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I recently rescued a Flip Flop, and there is one issue that is puzzling me (which is not hard to do). The score motor continues to run because of the Reset Relay. When I activate the relay the game plays normally. Can anyone provide direction on how to troubleshoot this issue?

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies!

The machine sequences but the Reset Relay stays activated. When I manually deactivate the relay, the game plays fine.

The motor continues to run until the Relay is manually deactivated and then stops.

I did the business card on the Reset Relay and the first switch with the green-blue wire seems to be the switch that is receiving power. This wire is also on the Game Over Interlock Relay, but when I deactivate the Reset Relay, nothing changes with the Game Over Interlock Relay. What should I be watching for?

By the way, thanks for the schooling!

#6 7 years ago

I wanted to mention this only happens on Player 1.

#9 7 years ago

You may be getting thru to my gray matter - some of this is making sense! I will report back when I get back into this repair later tonight.

#10 7 years ago

Only got to spend a couple hours on this machine tonight. I put scores on all four players and they all went to zero at reset, but not 100% sure all the score reel switches are open; will work on some more this weekend.

#11 7 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input as I work my way thru this issue!

I checked the switches as explained, and still have same issue.

I put strips of business cards at each of the 16 score motor zero switches and game does not reset properly.

The 8E score motor position appears to be ok. If I block the top switch and hit reset button, the motor doesn't work; is this correct?

The bonus unit resets correctly and there is a gap at the switch when it's reset.

I did find one issue -- I pulled the fuses to check them and reinserted them. Afterwards, I had nothing. Turned out one of the fuseholders needed to be reflowed. It works now, but I plan to replace the fuseholders as soon as I can find some locally.

Any further advice or comments?

#13 7 years ago

Sorry about the confusion; yes, I placed the business card strips in the score unit switches. Score motor still runs.

#15 7 years ago

Putting a business card in 8E does not stop the score motor.

#18 7 years ago

Howard and Fred, thank you so much for your continued support!

This really has me baffled, but I am hopeful I will resolve this issue!

I have to take a break to go to work, but I will return to this on Tuesday and report back.

#19 7 years ago

This machine is killin' me!

I've triple checked all the (16) Score zero relay switches, the Coin Relay switch, the Game Over Relay switch, the 8E Score motor switch, and they are all open, but the Reset Relay is still being activated. I went back through all of the switches and made sure the wires weren't shorting and they all appear to be properly protected from doing so. When I deactivate the Reset relay, the machine plays fine.

One thing I did find was 2 wires hanging in space near the #3 switch stack. The switch stack does not appear to have ever had anything soldered to the top 2 switches, however, the wires look suspicious.

Any more thoughts before I move this thread to the For Sale section?

Flip Flop_LI (resized).jpgFlip Flop_LI (resized).jpg

Note: Microbrew Beer is available for any troubleshooters in the area

#23 7 years ago

I deactivate the Reset relay by pushing on the plastic switch "girdle" that moves all the switches. It's odd that whatever is supplying power to the relay doesn't reactivate it?

While browsing thru Pinball ninja repairs, he fixed a similar machine that had a coil that was magnetized so it was always activated; he mentioned an electrical tape test, but didn't explain, so I assume it entails putting a folded piece of tape between the coil and the moving bracket? This seems like it could possibly be the problem? I would have tried it, but I thought of it when I woke up at 2am, and didn't have time to try it before leaving for work -- it's going to bug me all day!

I will get more info tonight on the 2 wires.

Thanks once again for all the replies!

#27 7 years ago

Lots of good stuff!

Glad to hear the 2 wires may be unused extras---they don't look to have been used and there's no evidence on switch stack that it had been used either. But, I check the color coding against the scematic to make sure.

I disconnected the 3 Backbox Jones plugs last night and nothing happened; I plugged in separately and same issue.

So, has anyone ever experienced a magnetized coil?

#32 6 years ago

Here's this afternoon's update:
1. The 9v battery barely moved the plate on the reset relay when touched to the coil terminals. I checked on the Coin relay and it moved the plate against the coil. Seems odd?
2. When the score motor is running and I power down, the reset relay coil releases the plate --- based upon 4Max's comment above, the plate is not magnetized -- cross that off the list!
3. I unplugged the Jones plug-18; when I tried resetting the machine, nothing happened.
4. I put a card in the 8E switch. When I pushed the reset button, the only thing that happened was the coin relay coil pulled in but did not stay in. Nothing else happened. When I remove the card and pushed reset button, the score motor kicked on and did not stop-even when I tried putting the card in 8E again.
5. Not sure what to do next?

#34 6 years ago

Fred, that switch is open during the reset.

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

Hi all!

I wanted to let you know I still haven't fixed this machine. I spent a lot of time on it last week and it had me baffled and discouraged. Luckily, another machine broke and it is a simple fix . I am also in the middle of a restoration of another title, and to top it all off, yet another machine made its way into my collection!

So, bottom line is I have to work my way back to Flip Flop at some point, but it may be awhile. In the meantime, if anyone is willing to come over and school me on EMs, then Beer, Pizza, Burgers, and many other junk foods are readily available to fuel the troubleshooting!

#38 6 years ago

Hi Fred, I will check these 2 items out tonight in between Cinco de Mayo tacos, but before Tequila, and report back. Thank you for you diligence!!

#39 6 years ago

I must be doing something wrong, cause I have checked all of these suggestions, and I still have the same issue.

I am really baffled.

I ordered rubber rings and new fuse holders today, so I am going to put this on the back burner until I get the parts and install them.

I will report back in a week or so.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballdad1961.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flip-flop-reset-issue?tu=Pinballdad1961 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.