Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
0Flip-flop-pinside-Work-05 (resized).jpg
Flip Flop (resized).jpg
Flip Flop (resized).jpg
0Flip-flop-pinside-Work-04 (resized).jpg
InkedBally Flip Flop_LI (2) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Hi pheff
You are surprised You get the signal "continuity" when You expect "NO continuity". You are at "Why do I do not like to use 'meters' when testing EM-Pins (?)" ---very often there is a connection from testlug-1 all the way to the transformer - THROUGH the windings in the transformer - and a wiring from the transformer to second lug (testlug-2) You use for measuring ...

There are not two ways to energize the Player-Reset-Relay - Your 1) is the only way to energize it --- I call this "Initial-Current flows". The relay actuating does close its switch (the Self-Hold-Switch) - the turning Score-Motor also closes for a long time its SCM-1A --- the "Self-Hold-Current / circuitry is established for a long time --- so the stepping Player-Unit-RESET does take place. Greetings Rolf

0Flip-flop-pinside-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Flip-flop-pinside-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Hi Paul
You are exactly at "where the problem is".
How would YOU implement the stepping on the balls / on the players - sometimes stepping ONLY to next player - sometimes to next player means back to Player-1 AND to next ball. In a 4-Player-game ? In a 3-Player-Game ? 2 Player ? Single-Player ?
The pin must handle once 4-Player-Game - then an 1-Player-Game etc. This is complicated.

Williams and Bally came out with an beautyful solution - they said: Lets put the focus on "Stepping on the ball - lets look first at stepping at the ball". In a 4,3,2 Player-Game: When the pin can step to the next ball: Immediately afterwards we let the pin step RESETTING on the Player-Unit - to FIRST Player - he (first player gets the new (stepped-up) ball.
IF the pin cannot step to next ball: We let the pin step to next player.
This works fine on 4,3,2-Player-Games. The Williams and Bally Techs said: This works also on a SINGLE-Player-Game - the pin tries to RESET the Player-Unit (as the pin HAS STEPPED on the Ball (remember the focus is ... ) ) - well, well, well - the Player-Unit is resetted in a Single-Player-Game - attempting to reset an resetted Unit is a not needed task --- but it does mechanically do no harm - nobody will ever complain as nobody knows ...

Your Player-Reset-Relay must not only be activated by the EOS-Switch on the Ball-Count-Unit. Along "my red line": SELF-Hold is required for almost half of a revolution of the Score-Motor. Greetings Rolf

3 months later
#6 6 years ago

Hi Paul
I read again Your post-1 --- it is written as "question in theory" - it is not written as "description of existing problem", hmm - so
The first question is "DOES the Ball-Count-Unit-STEP-UP-COIL ever fire ?".
We can force connection to get an answer to this question --- toggle-off the pin and unplug the main power cord (Safety Reasons - Bally pins have 110VAC and 50VAC). Clip-on an Jumper-Wire at the coil - side wire-75-orange-white is soldered-on. Take the other end of the Jumper-Wire out into the open - NOT TOUCHING METAL. Take another Jumper-Wire and clip-on at wire-30-yellow (either at the switch on Outhole-Relay or at the transformer-lug). Also take the other end out into the open - NOT TOUCHING METAL.
Plug-in, toggle-on, start a game - NOW hold the Jumper-Wires AT THE INSULATION and tip together the bare ends - question: Does the Coil fires ?

You can "hope for luck" - hope You can use an permanent Jumper-Wire and so You maybe can play - ONLY ONE-Player-Game. Toggle-off the pin and unplug the main power cord and establish permanent my "red" or my "orange" Jumper - then plug-in, toggle-on, start a ONE-Player-Game - question: Can You play a ONE-Player-Game ? Greetings Rolf

0Flip-flop-pinside-Work-05 (resized).jpg0Flip-flop-pinside-Work-05 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Hi Paul
ooops - I read "sentence 6. in Your post-5" - so the Ball-Count-Unit does step - I am confused - please give an detailled description - You start a ONE-Player-game - then - then - then ...
You start a TWO-Player-game - then - then - then ...
You start a THREE-Player-game - then - then - then ...
You start a FOUR-Player-game - then - then - then ... , greetings Rolf

1 year later
#11 5 years ago

Hi Paul
before I dig in into the schematics - some questions, here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=889&picno=40140&zoom=1 I see two coin chutes "Two plays for one coin (quarter), here https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=889&picno=65316&zoom=1 I see left to right: "50 Pf equals half a Mark, roughly half a Dollar" - I guess ONE play --- "2 DM (roughly 2 Dollars)" - I guess 5 plays --- "1 DM" - I guess two plays --- how many Coin Chutes does Your pin has ? What text is at the Coin Chutes ?
Look into Your pin - I guess on the bottom, panel in the Cabinet - does Your pin has an "2nd Coin Chute Relay" ? - does Your pin has an "3rd Coin Chute Relay" ?

When You have Credits on the Replay-Counter in the Backbox and You press the "Start-Button" - can You start a One-Player-Game ? ... Two-Player-Game ? ... Three-Player-Game ? ... Four-Player-Game ?

Is Your pin set to "Free Play" ?
Free Play means: We can press the Start-Button when there are no Credits on the Replay-Counter (cheating - cheating) and the pin reacts as if there were Credits means the pin starts for 1, 2, 3, 4 Player. "Free Play" is a very good thing - easy to do - easy to undo when I (You) want to sell the pin.

Do You have problems in the Start-up / Reset-Procedure ?
Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flip-flop-player-reset-problem?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.