2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Firemedic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B328FD3A-5A60-450C-89A3-6695148F9094 (resized).jpeg
    CDB5963E-B9FC-449A-B11A-7C6601B71D63 (resized).jpeg
    Flip Flop Flipper (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I have got an issue I cannot figure out.

Have a Bally Flip Flop. The right upper flipper is very weak and can barely push a ball, though it does trigger the EOS.
    I have rebuilt the flipper and replaced EVERYTHING(Coil included) except for the frame. I have also put new switches on the flipper buttons and the bottom flippers. Flipper movement is unimpeded and has no unusual friction

Flipper continues to be weak and I am at a loss. The other 3 flippers work great.
    Any ideas?

#2 2 years ago

Double check when the eos switch is active. Make sure it activates near the end of the stroke so that you aren't cutting power before the flipper has fully extended.

#3 2 years ago

Was the original solenoid coil resulting in weak action also, or did this start after you rebuilt the flippers?

#4 2 years ago

Some new eos switches-- you need to run a file lightly between contacts as there is a film on them.

#5 2 years ago

There is a common connection after the right flipper button to the upper and lower flippers. Any issue with where they are soldered together? Was it working at one time and just started this behavior?

#6 2 years ago

Previous coil was doing the same thing, So coils are not an issue. EOS is adjusted correctly and is conducting. Voltage is correct. Has been doing it since I got the game a couple of months ago, I have gone completely through the machine, adjusted everything and got it working again.

Just don't know where to go from here.

#7 2 years ago

Is the flipper coil wired correctly? If you've got the windings backwards the weak coil will always be in the circuit and your flipper will always be weak.
    Flip Flop Flipper (resized).jpgFlip Flop Flipper (resized).jpg
    The strong kicking coil is the upper coil in this drawing and the weak holding coil is the lower coil. You can often tell which is which on the coil by examining the thickness of the wires that come from under the wrapper and wrap around the solder lugs. The kicking coil uses much thicker wire in its windings than the holding coil.

If it's wired correctly the solder lug that has just a single thick wire disappearing below the wrapper should be connected to a black-yellow wire from the flipper button. The solder lug that has a thick wire and a thin wire should be connected to a short jumper wire to the EOS switch and the solder lug with just a single thin wire should be connected to the red wire.

/Mark

#8 2 years ago

Here’s a few pics to make sure wiring is right. I just happened to have mine in the shop with the hood up!! Top pic is upper right flipper, bottom one is the right main flipper.

B328FD3A-5A60-450C-89A3-6695148F9094 (resized).jpegB328FD3A-5A60-450C-89A3-6695148F9094 (resized).jpegCDB5963E-B9FC-449A-B11A-7C6601B71D63 (resized).jpegCDB5963E-B9FC-449A-B11A-7C6601B71D63 (resized).jpeg
    #9 2 years ago

Ok! Got it figured out, That was maddening. There was a wire in the harness that was repaired very poorly and it looks like that was causing the issue either because it couldn't carry the amps or was causing voltage drop. Either way, I repaired the repair properly and it's working great now!

Thanks all!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flip-flop-one-weak-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.