You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3552 (resized).jpg
IMG_3550 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm a newbie here and need your expert help. I have a 1976 Bally Flip Flop that has been in basement storage for 25 years and I'm trying to get working.
At first all the lights would come on but the credit/start button did nothing. I found that the common electrical tab had broken off one of the coin switches. After replacing the switch, the credit button worked and the machine reset, but the left kicker began firing and would not stop. I shut the machine off and checked the kicker contact switches to make sure they were not touching continuously. Turning the machine back on, only the coin door lights would light; nothing else works and the lock solenoid does not engage. Manually activating the lock solenoid allows all the playfield and backbox lights to come on. I think the problem is with the Game Over Interlock Relay, but I'm not sure. I included a pic of the Game Over Relay.
I have the schematic (I just so-so being at able to follow it). Any suggestions on what to look for or test would be greatly appreciated. I can also take whatever pictures anyone needs to help troubleshoot. I'm really looking forward to being able to play this classic EM pinball machine again. Thanks in advance.

IMG_3550 (resized).jpgIMG_3550 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

The lock relay coil only has the delay relay normally closed switch in its circuit. If the switch checks out ok, check coil resistance of the lock relay coil.

#3 2 years ago

With the machine off, unplugged and the coil still wired, I'm getting a reading of 47.7 ohms across the 2 terminals on the lock coil (and about the same on the neighboring credit & reset coils). Also - the 4 slam switches (coin door, bottom of playfield, 2 in cabinet) are all open.

IMG_3552 (resized).jpgIMG_3552 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Open slam switches is correct for this machine. On the delay relay check manual operation of the armature, while inspecting the switches that they close properly when armature is released. Clean and adjust switches if needed.

#5 2 years ago

I'll check the delay relay and report back as soon as I get home later this afternoon . . . The machine is acting exactly like it does when a slam switch is closed except that the timer bulb is not lit.

#6 2 years ago

I manually moved the delay armature, cleaned the contacts and the machine fired right up! thanks a million. Most game elements are working after a 25 year hiatus, but one thing is not. The "Game Over" light on the back box does not light when the game is over (it had been lit previous to this). The ball count works fine and the actual game over operation is fine (flippers and playfield switches are off), but the "Game Over" light flashes very briefly at the end of the game and then stays out. Any suggestions on what I should check?

#7 2 years ago

The game over light is controlled by the make/break switch on the game over relay. The BLU-yellow wires connected to the 1st blade powers the light when the relay is in its tripped or game over position. Clean and adjust switch if needed.

#8 2 years ago

I got the Game Over light working. It was just the leaf switch on the game over relay that needed adjusting as you suggested (how do these things move after working fine?). Since then the outhole kicker stopped working, but I got that restarted. And now the ball count lights stopped working, but the machine does continue to "know" the ball count because it provides the required bonus on balls 3 & 5 and ends the game after ball 5.

#9 2 years ago

The 3rd blade of the switch with the white-red wires is for the ball count lights. Readjust the 3rd blade.

#10 2 years ago

That worked. Thanks again. Only 1 remaining issue. Occasionally, when I press the credit/start button, the machine resets (scores) and the credit wheel reduces by 1, but the machine stays in Game Over mode. Pressing the credit button again starts the game as intended.

#11 2 years ago

When this happens it’s usually a step unit that has reset to zero position but has a hard time opening the zero position blade switch. Wiper blade friction sometimes causes this.

#12 1 year ago

Another fix and another problem. I cleaned the leaf switches and the credit reset problem has gone away, but now one of the score reels (thousands on player 2) doesn't always reset to 0. The machine thinks everything os okay and will start a new game even though player 2 is starting with thousands of points.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Jims5305:

Another fix and another problem. I cleaned the leaf switches and the credit reset problem has gone away, but now one of the score reels (thousands on player 2) doesn't always reset to 0. The machine thinks everything os okay and will start a new game even though player 2 is starting with thousands of points.

This is what hooked me on the game back in 1976... Player 1 would reset to 80,000 and start a game. Easy enough to keep winning free games and play all day for a quarter.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Jims5305:

The machine thinks everything os okay and will start a new game even though player 2 is starting with thousands of points.

If the Drum unit (score reel) Zero Position switches are working, the Reset relay won't relax until all scores are at zero.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flip-flop-lock-won-t-engage?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.