Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dirtymike
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
    Capture1 (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).PNG
    Flip Flop Target relays (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtymike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

First off I’d like to say that this site has been a god send with helping me diagnose most of the problems with some of my pinballs. I’m just learning how to work on them and not very good with the schematics yet. Thank you

Now the issue. When you first hit the target (red ones not the roll over ones) the relay sticks on keeping everything energized even the chime knocker. Doesn’t matter what one you hit the relay will stick on. Then when trying to reset they just go crazy flip flopping all over ( no pun intended). All the relays appear to be fairly new and the game is pretty clean underneath. Once the relay is on you can no longer score points with the targets. Hoping someone else has had this issue. Thanks in advance

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #4 4 years ago

All the relays associated after the target relays are hit stay on, even the 1000 point relay stays on and the coil stays energized for the chime as well. When I pullup on the mushroom bumper to reset them they just non stop flip back and forth. The target relays are the ones that I believe stick on as it doesn't do it when you hit the rollovers to flip the flags. Thanks for the image of the schematics, the game never came with any and couldn't really read the one online once I zoomed in. I'm going to have another look today hopefully. I'm very green in repairing pins this being only the second one I've attempted. This one caught me off guard as the game was playing mint, wasn't moved or anything, suddenly flags went nuts and now this issue.

#6 4 years ago

Currieddog, I just read this so I haven't checked the score motor yet but with just some manipulating by hand I found that no matter what target relay you hit it stays energized. The flip relays all seem to click off when flipped back but if you try to flip the original relay that was tripped it just flips it back over. it will not allow that flag to reset as its still energized. The relays usually close then open back up allowing you to score addition points when you hit the targets. This is no longer able to happen. The mushroom bumpers appear to be doing their job and try and reset all the flags but because the one will still be energized it can not. Also it doesn't matter witch target you hit first, 1-4 all do same thing and stay on. I don't know the proper terminology so its hard for me to explain I apologize and thank you in advance for your patience. Also all the coils are reading good on my meter and all wires are attached and appear at a glance to be good.

#8 4 years ago

ok so I've narrowed it down to the bonus unit. When I trip the target manually I noticed the bonus unit did not move. When I manually move the bonus unit the relays flip and everything de-energizes. I don't see any shorts as of yet but will continue to look as I trouble shoot why the bonus unit is not firing. It resets fine when I manually move it up then drain ball. Just doesn't advance. I'm half bald from pulling out my hair and all I can smell is old em smell from having my face in here for so long haha. I'm also in the process of ordering a schematic for this game.

#9 4 years ago

Also thanks MarkG for mentioning the bonus unit I would have never checked it if you did not mention it or send the copy of schematics. Currieddog and MarkG have helped a lot. Thank you very much.

The bonus unit seems to be moving freely so its something electrical and not just a seized unit. I will keep you posted and any other words of wisdom are much appreciated.

#12 4 years ago

Yes the resistance is about 10.5

#14 4 years ago

No nothing seems to get the bonus unit solenoid to fire. If I manually push it it goes through the motions lighting up the bonuses then when I simulate the ball sinking it was counting down normal now seems to only add every other 1000 points to the score. So for 2000 points it only adds 1000. Not sure if this is because of first problem or a whole new one.

#15 4 years ago

I have also noticed when starting a new game the bonus unit no longer lights up the 1000 point to start.

#17 4 years ago

Well it’s working again. Not going to lie I have no idea what I did to fix it. I removed the playfield and cleaned the outhole, bonus 0, bonus count relays. Reattached playfield and it started working but then it kept cycling through all 4 players and stayed on ball one player 4 and never stopped. Read a forum from 6 years ago about this problem and cleaned the relays mentioned in that one and still didn’t really fix anything. Started manually checking relays and suddenly it started working again. There is something not quite engaging but as long as it works for the long weekend with company over I can start cleaning it immediately after. I purchased a tune up kit.

Thanks for all the help markG and currieddog. Wish I could tell people what I did to fix it in case they have same issue but really I’m at a loss here. I have no idea other than fumbled around till it worked haha.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dirtymike.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flip-flop-flip-flag-relays-staying-locked?tu=dirtymike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.