Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by RussMyers
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Just picked up a 1975 Bally Flicker that's been in a homeowners basement sitting for at least 20 years. The clips for the four fuses were shot so I replaced them. At power up, the line voltage fuse (8 amp, fast-blo) blows right away. It has a orange wire coming from the transformer and a blue wire is the BUS. I have a good schematic and a DMM. The power cord looks good although the plug has been replaced with a three prong plug. Did these games have a three prong plug originally? Where do you think I should start?

Thanks,

Alan

#2 8 years ago

If the plug has been replaced by someone, take it apart and look at it.

Whoever replaced it might have wired it incorrectly, like swapped the hot and ground, or one of the wires inside the plug is shorted.

RussM

#3 8 years ago

Russ! My man! I took your advice and took the plug apart. No wires touching, wires in correct position. I went to put it back together and noticed that the metal collar must have been stepped on or something had crushed it, and bent in a metal piece that was hitting a common wire when it was screwed together. Replaced the plug and Voila! It starts! Still has a few switches that don't work, but that's easy.

If you're going to Allentown, the first beer is on me.

#4 8 years ago

Bingo Bango!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Russ! My man! I took your advice and took the plug apart. No wires touching, wires in correct position. I went to put it back together and noticed that the metal collar must have been stepped on or something had crushed it, and bent in a metal piece that was hitting a common wire when it was screwed together. Replaced the plug and Voila! It starts! Still has a few switches that don't work, but that's easy.
If you're going to Allentown, the first beer is on me.

I'll take you up on that.

All I had to read was "plug was replaced" and "fuses/breaker blows immediately".

Not the first time I have seen that problem.

Glad you fixed it.

RussMyers

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flicker-blows-line-voltage-fuse-at-power-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.