• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181101_101956 (resized).jpg
20181101_101843 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi,have flash Gordon machine with altek main boards and orig refurbished sub boards,(lamp driver ect,,).problem ,when pushing start button game does not start,do not think it is start switch or ball kick out switch.as game was starting a few times and then it wont.is there certain connecting pin on board I should look at.please help.thank you.

#2 5 years ago

check to make sure a wire didn't come of the start switch, on the mpu should be the upper right connector.

#3 5 years ago

Yesterday,it acted up and when I wiggled the diode on start switch ,game started working .today it played one game and then would not start again.i will try following the wires back .thinking of replacing start switch .and then unplugging connector to mpu and cleaning connector.im sure it's something minor as it works a few games then it does not.thanks for info.

#4 5 years ago

how long have you had the game, and when have the connectors been re-pinned?
you also might have a cold solder joint on that diode. Most switch problems go back to a bad contact.

#5 5 years ago

Hi,wdennie.bought game a few years back.had professional service to boards 2 years ago.jeff from grand american jukebox,st.louis ,worked on pin connectors .installed altek boards ,new pinscore kit..game worked since.except had coin op cauldron do sub boards.squak and aux lamp driver.they have been repaired in last year.first game today game played fine.second game ,won't start.going to replace switch and diode this eve.i have new parts onhand.but feel it is dirty contact.also ? .what is best way to clean those pin connectors.thanks for help ,I will post results of switch replacement later this eve.

#6 5 years ago

Switch replaced,but did not solve problem.is there a certain pin that controls the start switch on mpu,board.or sub board.

#7 5 years ago

The credit button connects on A4J3 pin 2 and the return on pin 14. Did you replace the diode?

#8 5 years ago

Hey guys,found problem.it was a loose connection or dirty connection.as I was wiggling plugs and pushing start button I found problem.its this plug on altek board.( see pic).right lower plug in.flash is ready to party this Friday night.and yes I did Mylar overlay with custom colored inserts.original colors sucked in my opinion.looks a lot better than orig.again thanks guys for trying.

20181101_101843 (resized).jpg20181101_101843 (resized).jpg20181101_101956 (resized).jpg20181101_101956 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

might want to re-pin the connector when you get the chance. I see you have the IDC connectors
they fail a lot, better off replacing them with .156 connectors.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks for info wdennie.im pretty much a newbie in the hobby.so I'm still learning alot.will see about those connectors.again it was the plug below the test buttons on the altek board for anyone who experiences same problem.and again wdennie ,thanks for the info on upgrade .

#11 5 years ago

(UPDATE).JUST TALKED TO DAVE AT ALTEK.the correct connectors for upper boards are ( point 1 spacers.)the .156 are bigger plugs that connect to bottom board ( fuses),ect. JUST did not want anyone to be confused.and a reminder if I forget. ( DUH).

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrian:

(UPDATE).JUST TALKED TO DAVE AT ALTEK.the correct connectors for upper boards are ( point 1 spacers.)the .156 are bigger plugs that connect to bottom board ( fuses),ect. JUST did not want anyone to be confused.and a reminder if I forget. ( DUH).

Your Flash Gordon has a -54 rectifier board and you won't find any .156 connectors there. Those .156 connectors are used on the -18 rectifier board--found in classic Bally prior to Xenon, I believe. At this point, I would suggest repinning the connectors on your MPU board and those are all .100, plus replacing the connectors on your Solenoid Driver board and three of those are .156 and two are .100 size. Check your auxiliary lamp driver board as it tends to burn up connections on occasion. Just count the pins to determine the correct plug size. You can find everything you need at Great Plains Electronics. Of course, it won't hurt to repin everything, but it might seem a little much at first.

#13 5 years ago

Have to ask, are there credits on the game?
Does the start button register in self test?
What happens if you pull the connector off and manually short the switch pins?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flash-gordon-start-button-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.