Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by BRW84
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up a Flash Gordon that needs a decent amount of work. I noticed that the leaf switch that activates the upper right mini-flipper (the switch that's on the stack on the lower flipper) had literally fallen apart, so I replaced it with a new switch last night. It worked fine, but after replacing it, I noticed that my EOS switches on both lower flippers were arcing pretty badly. The switches looked terrible, and since I had two extra EOS switches in a rebuild kit I ordered, I went ahead and replaced them. After replacing them, I found that the brand-new switches were still arcing pretty badly, maybe even worse than before. I adjusted them, thinking that maybe the problem was that the EOS switches were opening too early. After adjusting them, I turned on the machine again and tried to play a game. The switches were still arcing, and after about ten flips, both right flippers stopped working entirely. Even more ominously, at the exact same time, the machine started making a buzzing (or maybe a very rapid ticking) noise when I hit the right flipper button. I wasn't able to pinpoint where the noise was coming from because I was afraid to hit the right flipper button any more than necessary out of fear of damaging anything further. It's also worth mentioning that every time I hit a flipper button on the machine (even before I replaced the switches) the incandescents dim momentarily, although this was made worse by replacing the switches. After the two right flippers stopped working and the buzzing/ticking noise began, I turned off the machine and checked all my fuses (including the one under the playfield). All of them are fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

#2 5 years ago

Are you still using the original linear hardware? If so I would suggest fitting it with the earlier rotary gear. You can also install anti-spark caps on the EOS and cabinet switches.

#3 5 years ago

Yep, I'm still using the original linear hardware. I did some research on this after reading your post, and I'm thinking converting back to the older rotary style is the way to go. As far as what's causing my current issue, is it possible that my right coil got fried? I'm relatively new to this and I've never had a coil fail before, so I'm not familiar with the symptoms. I know that when a coil does fail it just stops working entirely, but could it possibly cause that weird buzzing/ticking noise and dimming lights?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

Yep, I'm still using the original linear hardware. I did some research on this after reading your post, and I'm thinking converting back to the older rotary style is the way to go. As far as what's causing my current issue, is it possible that my right coil got fried? I'm relatively new to this and I've never had a coil fail before, so I'm not familiar with the symptoms. I know that when a coil does fail it just stops working entirely, but could it possibly cause that weird buzzing/ticking noise and dimming lights?

If a flipper coil's hold windings are starting to short you will get the buzzing/dimming of lights ect indicating a short. You may want to test the resistance on your coils.

#5 5 years ago

That may be my issue; I'll have to investigate after work tonight. Thanks!

#6 5 years ago

Having a hard time getting the ball up the ramps?
Don't convert to the old style, go with the sys11 or fliptronic's type flippers, gives you more power,
and easier to find replacement parts. And get the William's style bats.
Did this on my Xenon, and works better and faster than ever.

#7 5 years ago

I solved my issue, and it's so incredibly dumb that I'm ashamed to share what I did, but maybe it'll help some other poor sap in the future. Since I didn't have a double-stack switch for the bottom right flipper, I Frankensteined together two flipper switches, one of which I had to take apart to remove a layer from the stack. In the process, I managed to make it so that the back of the contact on the lower right flipper switch touched the back of the contact on the upper right flipper switch, which caused the coil to seize up. I fixed it tonight and everything works again, although I'm still getting sparks. I'm definitely planning to add caps to the switches at the very least.

#8 5 years ago

Remember to adjust your flipper EOS by pushing in on the plunger with your finger and not by turning the flipper. The EOS and upper flipper switch need to be adjusted as break-make so you are not trying to activate both at the same time.

#9 5 years ago

Thanks! I'll tinker some more tonight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-flash-gordon-right-flipper-causes-buzzing-noise-dims-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.