• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20141111_200020.jpg
20141111_191655.jpg
#1 10 years ago

This 1971 Bally Firecracker is my second machine and so I'm still learning (slowly!). I have fixed a number of the more obvious issues and now getting to the more tricky stuff. Currently I'm stuck on this issue:

The bonus score accumulates no problem (meaning it moves from the 1000 lamp to the 2000, and so on)

The bonus score gets added when the ball lands in the on-field kick-out "bonus" hole (lamps count back down to starting point of 1000 and associated score counts up on score reel)

However, when the ball drains, the lamps count back down to 1000, but no score is added the reel. The rest of the mechanism works (moves to ball 2, and ball ejected).

So, I'm not sure where I start given the process is working on the kick out hole, but not the out hole. I have a schematic (but not pdf - will I need to scan and upload for the experts to help?)

Hope someone can point me in the right direction, I'm loving fixing this machine up from a complete non-starter, but have come to a bit of a standstill on this…

Thanks in advance.

#2 10 years ago

If you could provide pictures of the schematic that would help locate the issue.

Would also love to see pics of the "firecracker" mechanism.

8 months later
#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

If you could provide pictures of the schematic that would help locate the issue.
Would also love to see pics of the "firecracker" mechanism.

I know this is an old post, but I was assisting a friend of mine with his Firecracker and took the pictures requested of the Fire Cracker Unit and Spin Unit that power the unique effect on this game and wanted to share.

Spin Unit:
20141111_191655.jpg20141111_191655.jpg

Fire Cracker Unit:
20141111_200020.jpg20141111_200020.jpg

#4 9 years ago

And a brief video showing the mechanism in action.

1 month later
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from 4Max:

This 1971 Bally Firecracker is my second machine and so I'm still learning (slowly!). I have fixed a number of the more obvious issues and now getting to the more tricky stuff. Currently I'm stuck on this issue:
The bonus score accumulates no problem (meaning it moves from the 1000 lamp to the 2000, and so on)
The bonus score gets added when the ball lands in the on-field kick-out "bonus" hole (lamps count back down to starting point of 1000 and associated score counts up on score reel)
However, when the ball drains, the lamps count back down to 1000, but no score is added the reel. The rest of the mechanism works (moves to ball 2, and ball ejected).
So, I'm not sure where I start given the process is working on the kick out hole, but not the out hole. I have a schematic (but not pdf - will I need to scan and upload for the experts to help?)
Hope someone can point me in the right direction, I'm loving fixing this machine up from a complete non-starter, but have come to a bit of a standstill on this…
Thanks in advance.

After reading ipdb.org reviews and playing my friends what you are describing is how I believe the bonus on Firecracker is supposed to work. You have to collect it by getting it in the bonus hole, not by draining which is what makes this game fun and unique.

#6 9 years ago

Hi, yes I should have marked this thread Resolved (have now) as I had posted it in another forum and someone kindly linked to a youtube demonstrating the bonus hole versus drain. (Doh!)

Ten months on I still enjoy playing this machine - one because I was so pleased with myself for getting it all working, but also I love the Firecracker "random" feature - so clever for the time.

#7 9 years ago

The firecracker unit is kind of neat. The heavy spinner spins and it opens and closes a switch that activates the 00-90 stepper that moves the lights.

When the spinner stops turning it scores the last value lit.

One of these days I'll play a fire cracker. I have half of one I bought a long time ago to use for parts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-firecracker-help-with-bonus-scoreonly-on-out-hole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.