Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
Pinball_Mind_Manual.pdf (PDF preview)
Pinball Mind pcb layout.pdf (PDF preview)
Pinball_Mind_NP-CPU002_done1 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1552233117279 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I have a Bally Fireball Home Edition pinball machine (Series I / 606-1000). It works great but the “general illumination” lights all went out yesterday. These are the lights under the plastic shields around the outside of the playfield and the pop bumper lights. All “switched lights” (A-D, 1-3, Bonus, Free Ball, etc.) all work.

I looked at the pinwiki repair page which gives good information to test a Series II game but not Series I. Can someone provide, in layman’s terms, what to do to identify the issue? I do not know much about pinball machines so please be specific and basic. Thanks! Ed

#2 5 years ago

Do you have this document?

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4116/Bally_1976_Fireball_Standardized_Test_Procedures_for_Bally_s_Home_Pinball_Games_with_schematics.pdf

Page 35 - "Trouble Shooting" looks like a good place to start...

#3 5 years ago

I do, thank you. I did read through but it didn’t seem to provide specific steps to problem shoot the general illumination problem. If anyone knows the specific pins on the power supply and logic board to test (power and ground pins) that would be really helpful. Also, what is a “driver” and which one powers the general illumination lights? Thanks!

#4 5 years ago

According to the trouble shooting guide, they recommend reseating connectors... try their procedure first. Any better?

Then, if that doesn't work, page 39 in the pdf shows the GI connector coming off the power supply, connector B, pins 3 and 1... another reference on page 41 shows the wires to the playfield lamps ("13 pcs Playfield display lights") on the playfield. Is there a connector on the playfield with a pair of green wires on pins 6 and 9 (GRN, which doesn't seem to agree with their color legend on the same page) coming from the power supply?

I don't see a driver (or transistor), looks like the lamps are powered directly from the transformer.

Can you trace the wires back from the playfield lights?

#5 5 years ago

Rebuild your power supply board, and connectors from the transformer, or for $60 have Steve Kulpa do it; his email is ([email protected])

http://stevekulpa.net/pinrepair/pinrepair_ballyhome.htm

#6 5 years ago

GI burns up alot. I can show the repairs done the the one I have. My parents bought it NIB and it burned up the first time they turned it on. I have since added LEDs so this issue will not happen again. I was having sluggish pop bumper issues with standard bulbs. After putting in the LEDs the pops came back to life. I have series one so if ya need any reference photos just let me know.

#7 5 years ago

The lights are back on!! Turns out the connector (2 green wires) was still connected but lost contact. Pulled it apart and put in back and and the lights turned on! Simple when you know what to look for. Thanks everyone!!!!

Demented warlock - What LED bulbs (brand/bulb number) did you use and where did you get them?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Mcgettigan1:

Demented warlock - What LED bulbs (brand/bulb number) did you use and where did you get them?

Honestly I don't remember. I know they were all wedge sockets I believe, the pops have the bayonets. Color changers in the pops on some of the inserts and back glass. I think I did them with pinballife. It's really just a mix up lol. I have since changed to comet in other machines.

FB_IMG_1552233117279 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1552233117279 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

Looks like the G.I. has a 5 amp fuse inside the transformer box too.

For LED bulbs, my friends buy from pinballbulbs.com

#10 5 years ago

I heard someone was making a replacement cpu board for these. Just curious on status if its still happening?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I heard someone was making a replacement cpu board for these. Just curious on status if its still happening?

No new news for a few years about that.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Well, there was the "Pinball Mind" cpu by "Nightmare Tony" Gonzolez, but he unfortunately passed away from cancer a few years ago. He actually had unpopulated pc boards and was most of the way finished with programming. I understand his family turned over all his work to Marco Specialties for them to finish it and bring it to market. Someone should talk to Marco and see what the status is. I had been assisting Nightmare Tony with ideas for it as well as writing some of the manual for it. I have attached a picture of the board, a pdf of the board layout, and a pdf of the unfinished manual. This board was meant to plug into the original Bally home pinball cpu board. It plugged into the original boards cpu chip socket so even "dead" original cpu boards could be brought back to life. There was plans for an "expansion" module which would have plugged into the Pinball Mind board to add modern sounds/music, knocker support, shaker motor support, lighted start button support, LCD diagnostic display, test buttons, flipper relay, and coin door support.

I also understand Ni-Wumpf is developing their own version using ARM technology. Someone should inquire about progress on it.
Pinball Mind pcb layout.pdfPinball Mind pcb layout.pdfPinball_Mind_Manual.pdfPinball_Mind_Manual.pdfPinball_Mind_NP-CPU002_done1 (resized).jpgPinball_Mind_NP-CPU002_done1 (resized).jpg

#13 5 years ago

See image for the update from Marco in August 2018. Doesn’t sound good unless something changed recently.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#14 5 years ago

just gotta keep looking I found one that was garbage and took all the parts sold the playfield. They pop up from time to time. There was a gent on here that had tons of home models dont remember who he was. I am sure someone can find him.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fireball-home-edition-general-illumination-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.