Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by EStroh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 28 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Fireball (resized).JPG
Transformer-Wiring.pdf (PDF preview)
Score-Adjustment-Plugs.pdf (PDF preview)
Score-Motor-Cams.pdf (PDF preview)
Rules.pdf (PDF preview)
Right-Bottom-Relay-Bank.pdf (PDF preview)
Playfield-Stepper-Lube.pdf (PDF preview)
Playfield-Relay-Bank.pdf (PDF preview)
Patent-Notice.pdf (PDF preview)
Playfield-Care-Instructions.pdf (PDF preview)
Playfield-Fuse.pdf (PDF preview)
Game-Adjustment-Plugs.pdf (PDF preview)
Left-Bottom-Relay-Bank.pdf (PDF preview)
Inspection.pdf (PDF preview)
Fuses.pdf (PDF preview)
Fire-Gods-Target-Relay.pdf (PDF preview)

#1 16 days ago

Hello fellow pinsiders.

Problem one: When I start the game all the reels reset, everything lights up yet no ball, no flippers, still shows game over, total play counter added a game.
This is an intermittent problem, I can try it later and everything works fine.

Problem two: 10 point spots only on the playfield do not ring the bell (cushions, unlit bumpers, etc.), 100 and 1000 work fine.
I manually moved the 10 point relay on the back, it rings the bell as it should.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ron

IMG_6069 (resized).JPG
#2 16 days ago

Also sometimes gives you 10 points on drain.

#3 15 days ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

Also sometimes gives you 10 points on drain.

This is the first problem to address because if the 10 Point relay is constantly energized you'll burn out its coil.

#4 15 days ago

Reset your score reels zero them out!

#5 15 days ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

Problem one: When I start the game all the reels reset, everything lights up yet no ball, no flippers, still shows game over, total play counter added a game.
This is an intermittent problem, I can try it later and everything works fine.

Intermittent problems are always fun (NOT) to track down. Check out the start sequence in the manual: https://www.ipdb.org/files/852/Bally_1972_Fireball_Manual.pdf

Quoted from e3thomas:

10 point spots only on the playfield do not ring the bell

I don't see the 10 pt. going to a bell.

Capture (resized).PNG
#6 15 days ago

Yeah you have a stuck 10 point relay. Shouldn't be too hard to find just check behind all of the rubbers those are your 10 point switches.

You probably stuck one closed when you replaced the rubbers.

As others have said this is a "fix now" problem, or you run the risk of frying your 10 point relay and your 10 point score reel coil, and that will just be messy.

I have a friend who runs a bar and had an EM in his place with that problem. I told him to immediately unplug the game. He said "Nah, it just happens sometimes." I told him he was being a moron.

A week later he called me again, apparently the game had caught on fire. Burned so many wires to that score reel it still isn't working 2 years later.

#7 14 days ago

Problem two: progress here, the previous owner had installed a playfield protector skin, it had shifted to where it was hanging up the 10 point rollover buttons.
I adjusted it, now the 10 point spots trigger correctly and ring the bell.

Problem one still exists: I looked over the entire machine, saw nothing unusual .

My original comments.
When I start the game all the reels reset, everything lights up yet no ball, no flippers, still shows game over, total play counter added a game.
One thing I did not mention, the score motor does one revolution.

Help!

#8 14 days ago

For problem one, take a look at the reset relay switches with the red/black wire, white/brown wire and white/blue wire. Make sure these switches are clean and adjusted properly...

#9 13 days ago

The relay switches are not labeled anymore, not sure where the reset relay is, do you know?

After I find it, should these switches be open or closed?

IMG_6073 (resized).JPG
#10 13 days ago

I think the reset relay was on the upper right near the back of the main cabinet, but I'm not really sure... You can do some detective work and find the reset relay using its wire colors. The reset relay will include these wire color wires connected to the switch stack:

red/black wire
white/brown wire
white/blue wire
gray wire
green/black wire
orange/red wire
orange/red wire (to coil lug)

So, look for relay coils with a orange/red wire connected to it, and then see if there are any correct wire colors at the switch stack.

With the power off, you can manually push in the relay to see how the switches open and close and you'll see which switches should be open and closed when the relay coil is not energized. One of the switches that will be closed when the coil is not energized is the switch with the white/brown wire and red/black wire.

#11 13 days ago

Checked my Fireball: left to right: Coin, 2nd coin chute, 3rd coin chute, credit, lock, reset, outhole, ball index, tilt, 3rd ball, ball release, player reset, open flipper, exit alley, kicker

Karl

#12 13 days ago

Hi Fred, here's the relay I found, I cleaned it, turned on the machine, no change.

This coil DOES energize momentarily when I press the start button.

See pics

IMG_6077 (resized).JPGIMG_6078 (resized).JPGIMG_6079 (resized).JPG
#13 13 days ago

Do any of the following reset when you press the start/credit button on the coin door:

Coin unit
Ball count unit
Player up unit

Maybe drdre can confirm we're looking at the correct relay...

#14 13 days ago

It is set on free play, ball in play does not light up, player up shows player 1, see pic.

Help!

IMG_6069 (resized).JPG
#16 13 days ago

Go to the ball count unit and make sure it's on the ball 1 position. If not, manually reset the ball count unit by pushing in the ball count reset solenoid plunger, and confirm it's on the ball 1 position. Then try to start a game again...

#17 13 days ago

Good job Fred!
That's a start, I played a few more games, the stepper is not returning, I had to manually return it after each game.
The springs look original but I would think they just assist the linkage to return.
I think voltage is not going to the return coil as it should, I my thinking correct?
I have a schematic, it looks like a white/blue and a gray wires control it, would that be a problem in the reset relay switch?
As you can tell I'm just a beginner!

Ron

IMG_6078 (resized).JPG
#18 12 days ago

There should be a white/blue wire and black wire attached to the ball count reset solenoid. There is one switch that should close on the reset relay that will send power to the ball count reset solenoid. That switch has a white/blue wire and a white/brown wire. With power on and the machine in game over mode, you can manually push in the reset relay. See if this will send power to the ball count reset solenoid.

If the ball count unit is on the underside of the playfield or in the backbox, it could be a Jones plug issue where the Jones plug would need to be cleaned...

#19 12 days ago

Fred, before I read your latest post I went back and again cleaned and adjusted the switches in the reset relay, it appears that took care of the problem!

I later tried what you said, it did not trigger the solenoid.

Then I watched it when I hit the start button, it reset!

Thanks for your help, I will keep this open for a day or two in case the problem returns!

And thanks DrDre for the relay list!

Ron

#20 11 days ago

Ron,

If it helps, here are all the relay and cabinet labels. The original ones were just stapled in place, and usually disappear over time.

5-Ball-Price.pdfBackbox-Relay-Bank.pdfBackglass-Removal.pdfBell-Adjustment-Plugs.pdfFire-Gods-Target-Relay.pdfFuses.pdfGame-Adjustment-Plugs.pdfInspection.pdfLeft-Bottom-Relay-Bank.pdfPatent-Notice.pdfPlayfield-Care-Instructions.pdfPlayfield-Fuse.pdfPlayfield-Relay-Bank.pdfPlayfield-Stepper-Lube.pdfRight-Bottom-Relay-Bank.pdfRules.pdfScore-Adjustment-Plugs.pdfScore-Motor-Cams.pdfTransformer-Wiring.pdf
#21 11 days ago

Thanks Eric

Where did you find those, I may need some for my other machines!

Ron

Fireball (resized).JPG
#22 11 days ago
Quoted from e3thomas:

Thanks Eric
Where did you find those, I may need some for my other machines!
Ron[quoted image]

IPDB under "Fireball". I don't know how many others (if any) are available for other machines though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Mateo, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
$ 50.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 47.00
$ 269.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 157.00
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 150.00
Various Other Swag
Test item Out of stock
Pinside Shop
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 126.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside