Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I just purchased a Fathom with a CPR playfield in it that I'm really enjoying. I'd like some opinions on how to care for the game so it is enjoyable and holds up for the long term.

1. Rubber Rings - Right now the rings are traditional white rubber with yellow flipper rubber. All the rings show wear and light cracking so it's time for new ones. Should I just get a kit of white ring/red flipper from Marcos, Titan clear silicone rings with red or yellow rubber flipper rings, or something else.

2. What should I use to wax/polish and protect the playfield? Would it be a good idea/worthwhile to get a protector overlay from playfield-protectors.com ?

3. The game is fully populated with clear incandescent bulbs and looks great; however, I worry about the heat and electrical draw of all the traditional bulbs. I was pleased with swapping out all the GI in my Bride of Pinbot with Comet 2SMD frosted sunlight LEDs and would consider doing something similar here. Am I really getting measurable reduced wear and tear on the machine by doing an LED swap, or should I just enjoy the incandescent?

Thanks,
Jason

#2 3 years ago

Game came with new clear titan bands, no playfield protector (wax if you want) and I added some 2smd frosted sunlight w the alltek board.

The 555s had to be trimmed and the sockets had to be opened a but more with a Phillip's. I am considering getting some 1smd retros for the inserts as the game is very bright.

#3 3 years ago

Someone, somewhere along the line is going to tell you to use Novus to wax your playfield. DON'T. Novus is not a wax. If you're going to clean and wax your playfield, first vacuum off all loose dirt and detritus, then wipe down with naphtha or Novus 1. Then, if you have some crud sticking to the playfield, use Novus 2 to remove that. Some folks say to use a microfiber cloth, personally I've found that they leave fine scratches on glossy surfaces like plastics or a clearcoated playfield, so I always use a worn-out flannel shirt or cotton t-shirt. Once playfield is cleaned to your satisfaction, then wax it with a 100% carnauba paste wax. I use Meguiar's, some recommend Mother's, just as long as it's 100% carnauba paste wax.

Regarding protectors: I recently bought protectors for my Pinbot and Space Invaders, and both of them, instead of being perfectly flat, had a small, raised lip around the entire edge and every hole, both sides of the protector, apparently as a result of the laser-cutting. They were replaced but the replacements were the same. I'm concerned that, over time, the lip will wear a groove into my playfields. Others have bought protectors from the same company and reported no lip, just perfect flat protector, so no idea why I got four of them like this. Just an FYI.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

2. What should I use to wax/polish and protect the playfield?

https://www.pinballlife.com/blitz-carnauba-paste-wax-12-ounce-jar.html

Quoted from jjga:

Would it be a good idea/worthwhile to get a protector overlay from playfield-protectors.com ?

Total overkill if you’re giving it regular maintenance.

Quoted from jjga:

Am I really getting measurable reduced wear and tear on the machine by doing an LED swap

Yes.

#5 3 years ago

I'm not a fan of PF protectors; they effect the tracking of the ball and don't feel right to me. They also look stupid IMO.

Just my opinion.

Wax; regular maintenance and you'll be good to go.

Your clearcoat from CPR should hold up just fine.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

wax it with a 100% carnauba paste wax.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/page/2#post-2657083
Quoting vid1900 from the linked post:
“ Carnauba Wax in it's 100% state is harder than concrete.
There is no way you could spread it on a playfield. It would simply grind off all the paint; same as if you rubbed a brick all over it.
I called Meguiars, and they said that the highest percentage of Carnauba you could possibly make spreadable with some heat would be 50%, or at room temperature, 35%.
Anytime you see a wax make crazy statements like "100% Carnauba Wax", they are lying, or at best, being VERY deceptive.”

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Game came with new clear titan bands, no playfield protector (wax if you want) and I added some 2smd frosted sunlight w the alltek board.
The 555s had to be trimmed and the sockets had to be opened a but more with a Phillip's. I am considering getting some 1smd retros for the inserts as the game is very bright.

Where did you use the 2SMD frosted sunlights? Is an aftermarket alltek board required or just something you happened to swap in?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide/page/2#post-2657083
There is no way you could spread it on a playfield. It would simply grind off all the paint; same as if you rubbed a brick all over it.
I called Meguiars, and they said that the highest percentage of Carnauba you could possibly make spreadable with some heat would be 50%, or at room temperature, 35%.
Anytime you see a wax make crazy statements like "100% Carnauba Wax", they are lying, or at best, being VERY deceptive.”

Thanks, that thread was quite helpful.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Where did you use the 2SMD frosted sunlights? Is an aftermarket alltek board required or just something you happened to swap in?

I used them everywhere. Alltek board eliminates flicker on SS games.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yeah, I have absolutely no idea why I wrote it that way. What I meant was to use a PASTE wax versus a LIQUID wax.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fathom-rubber-playfield-care-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.