You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SDB_LogicPower.jpg
IMG_8002 copy (resized).jpg
Captureee (resized).PNG
image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Not sure what to try next here. Fathom just stopped booting one day. I cannot get into test menu at all. I can test the sound from the sound board and it works fine.

I have an Altek MPU installed in the game. It was working fine.
Swapped in another working Altek MPU - no change
Swapped in working Solenoid Driver - no change
Swapped in working Lamp Driver board - no change

When attempting to boot, the LED on the MPU flickers once, then blinks an additional 6 times.

From Pinwiki:
image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

I am not getting the 7th Flash.

Again from Pinwiki:

"The last flash waits for an external input on U10 pin 18 from the zero crossing detector circuit, which occurs 120 times a second (as the AC waveform passes or "crosses" 0 volts). Diagnosis of issues with the 7th flash are similar to the 6th flash. You can measure the input to pin 18 to determine if the signal is present or not. A signal present, but no flash could mean a bad U10 PIA. A missing signal usually points to missing solenoid voltage. The source of the zero crossing signal is derived from the solenoid voltage delivered from the rectifier board. Equally, if a signal is present, there may be an issue with the zero crossing detection circuit itself."

Tested voltages at the Power Module rectifier board and here are my results

TP1 = +7.07
TP2 = +215
TP3 = +14.86
TP4 = 0.00
TP5 = 0.00

According to Pinwiki the readings should be:

Captureee (resized).PNGCaptureee (resized).PNG

I have also tested both bridge rectifiers on the rectifier board and they test good.
All fuses in the game test good as well.

What should I look at next?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Make sure all connectors are snug? Are you sure that the Altek is set up for Fathom?

I reseated the connectors on the rectifier board and everywhere else, but nothing changed.

Yes it's definitely set up for fathom. It was working one day and not the next.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

Lack of the 7th flash is usually indicative of a blown solenoid fuse on the rectifier board (in the lower cabinet). The lack of 43 volts that powers the solenoids will result in no 7th flash.

Right, I guess I'm wondering why there is no 43V. And also nothing at TP4.

All fuses test good with a DMM.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

F4 and all of the fuses test good. I tested both bridge rectifiers on the power rectifier board, and they both test good with my DMM.

Stumped.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

you have no 43v at the rectifier board.
can you check the ac volts at the fuse clip? Both ends of it?

Sure, I can do this when I get home this afternoon. Any idea what the ac volts should be? I assume I should check ac on all of the fuses on the rectifier board. Thanks.

#11 6 years ago

Also, not sure if this helps but this problem has come and gone once or twice before. The game will stop booting, but a few days later it will play perfectly. Then this problem will arise again. This time though, it has not been booting for several days and I just want to find and fix whatever the issue is.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

you have no 43v at the rectifier board.
can you check the ac volts at the fuse clip? Both ends of it?

OK I checked the ac volts on the fuses/fuse clips and here is what I get:

F1 8.3
F2 180
F3 13.6
F4 00.0 on both ends of the fuse and both ends of fuse clip
F5 5.8

I pulled the F4 fuse and triple checked it with my DMM set to continuity and it tests good. Does this mean that the fuse, although testing good, is bad? Thanks for the help!

Edit: I changed the fuse with a known working one from a different game and still the game will not boot.

#15 6 years ago

I found a known working rectifier board and swapped it in. Here is what I got with the new board:

TP1 = +6.4
TP2 = +211
TP3 = +14.00
TP4 = 0.00
TP5 = +42

Also with this board in, I got -45 ac volts on F4

The game would make it all the way to the 7th flash but no solenoids are working.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Check the fuse under the playfield. If the old board had a problem at 44vdc it may have blown.

Thanks. I just tested it and it's good. Weird that the game somewhere boots with this new rectifier board, but no solenoids are working. You turn the game on and you can hear the solenoid expander under the playfield going click click click click but the saucers don't eject and the drops don't pop up.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Check the solenoid expander for cracked solder joints.

Thanks, I will do that. But I just don't see how that could be the source of the issue of no 43 volts.

Like I mentioned, when I swapped in a known working rectifier board I got 43volts on TP5 but still nothing on TP4.

Someone must know the answer to this puzzle.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Check the solenoid expander for cracked solder joints.

I don't see any cracked solder joints.

Can someone explain why I am getting a 0.00 reading at TP4 with the good rectifier board, and why no solenoids are working?

I am so stumped....

#24 6 years ago

Yes the GI works.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Just to verify, you are testing TP-4 for VAC, not VDC, right?
Shawn

no I wasn't! Thanks for catching that, Shawn!

TP4 is 5.7 ac volts with the original board installed.

#27 6 years ago

Does this change anything?

#29 6 years ago

Ok so with the good rectifier board in, I'm getting readings at all Test Points and fuses. The game boots and can go into test but still no solenoids will work.

The solenoids do have 43 volts though.

In solenoid test, nothing fires except when switches 14-19 are supposed to fire you can hear the solenoid expander going click click click. These are the solenoids that are supposed to fire when the game boots up (but instead I hear the solenoid expander). These solenoids control the drop targets which reset at boot up.

So the game is trying to fire solenoids 14-19 but instead the light and "clicking" noise are coming from the solenoid expander. No other solenoids work.

I also replaced the fuse holder under the playfield as recommended.

#30 6 years ago

Also, if you start a game, you can hit one switch then it ends your ball as if the ball just drained.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

In switch test mode, are any switches showing as closed (that shouldn't show closed)? Pull the balls out and make sure all the drop targets are up, or they will show up as closed.

Thanks. Just did this and no switches are closed in test. Just a flashing "0". The switches are registering correctly in the test as well.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Are all 3 balls in the trough on start up, and do you have a working 555 in the socket next to the expander board under the playfield?

Yes all 3 balls are installed, except when I did the solenoid test that mattmarr recommended. The light next to the expander is flashing, yes.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

OK. So get yourself a piece of wire maybe a foot long or so. Trim the cover off each end and wrap one end around the ground test point on the solenoid board. Start the machine up until you are in attract mode, then touch the other end to the top of the transistors' metal tab one at a time and see if they fire. This will help to narrow down where the problem lies. The arrow is pointing to the tab, just above it is the ground.
Shawn

Thanks for the suggestion.

While I haven't yet done this, I did put in a known working solenoid driver board this morning while the working rectifier board was in.

Same result. Maybe my solenoid expander is now the problem? That would seem strange because it was working fine before the issue with the rectifier board wouldn't allow the game to boot.

Would a bad solenoid expander cause no solenoids to fire? I wouldn't think so...?

#39 6 years ago

So, what would cause all solenoids to not work?

#41 6 years ago

I've done everything you suggested in post 28.

All coils have 43 volts.

I replaced the fuse holder and fuse(s). Nothing changed.

I haven't done the test suggested in post 36, but I did replace the entire board and nothing changed. So I don't think it is a board issue. I will run the test though if you feel it is still necessary and will help. Thanks! Also for the test suggested in post 36, will the gauge of wire matter for this?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Post 36 doesn't test the board. It tests the wiring to the coils and the connection to ground. It will also verify the power circuit can supply enough current to fire the solenoids. 16-18 gauge wire would be preferred.

Thanks, and I appreciate the explanation!

Ok I did the test. All of the transistors fire a solenoid when touched except for the 7th 17th and 18th counting from left to right (with the transistor that mk1mod marked being #1).

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

When you're in solenoid test mode, can you hear the flipper enable relay clicking on the Solenoid Driver Board (SDB) at test 21?
And presuming the coin lockout coil is still connected at the coin door, does it activate at solenoid test 20?
If the answer is yes to both of these, you might have a bad connection on the momentary Solenoid enable signal that goes from the MPU board connector J4 pin 10 (it's a Brown/Red wire) to the SDB on connector J4 pin 7.
As a quick test, try wiggling these two J4 connectors in solenoid test mode and see if any playfield solenoids activate.

No there is no sound at all during solenoid test mode other than 14-19 I can hear the solenoid expander board under the playfield clicking 7 times.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Do you have a logic probe?

No I don't...

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

At this point I would repin the two J4 connectors Quench mentioned above. Not much else it could be.

I'll check when I get home, but I am almost 100% positive that I have already done that. If not, I will repin them and report back.

Quoted from Quench:

Can you clarify if the flippers work when you start a game?

No the flippers do not work. No solenoid will work when starting a game. And when a switch is hit, the bonus counts down and the game acts as though the ball drained. When I start a game, instead of the drop targets resetting and the saucer kick outs firing, you can just hear the solenoid expander board click click clicking. Thanks again for the help so far!

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Do you suspect you repinned these connectors before the MPU board problem started or after it started?

It would have been before. I think that J4 on the MPU has been repinned, but J4 on the solenoid driver may not have been repinned yet. I will confirm once I get home and report back.

Quoted from Quench:

Let us know about the flippers.

No the flippers do not work. No solenoid will work when starting a game. And when a switch is hit, the bonus counts down and the game acts as though the ball drained. When I start a game, instead of the drop targets resetting and the saucer kick outs firing, you can just hear the solenoid expander board click click clicking. Thanks again for the help so far!

#54 6 years ago

Confirmed last night that J4 on the MPU has been re-pinned. J4 on the solenoid driver board has not been re-pinned. I will re-pin it this afternoon, but reseating that connection a dozen times and playing with the wires did not do anything.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Grab your multimeter and set it to DC voltage.
Put the game into solenoid test mode.
Connect the black meter lead to ground somewhere (the GND test point on the SDB will suffice).
For the duration of the solenoid tests hold the red meter lead on the following pins at the U2 chip on the SDB and indicate what you measure and notice happening:
Pin 19:
Pin 20:
Pin 21:
Pin 22:
Pin 23:

OK, I will do this and report back. Can you tell me what this will be testing for? I feel like the board is good, since I swapped in a known working one and had the same issues. Thanks!

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Grab your multimeter and set it to DC voltage.
Put the game into solenoid test mode.
Connect the black meter lead to ground somewhere (the GND test point on the SDB will suffice).
For the duration of the solenoid tests hold the red meter lead on each of the following pins at the U2 chip on the SDB (one pin at a time) and indicate what you measure and notice happening:
Pin 19:
Pin 20:
Pin 21:
Pin 22:
Pin 23:

I get a reading on pins 20-23 but nothing on pin 19.

#59 6 years ago

Just repinned J4 on the solenoid driver board. No change at all.

#60 6 years ago

I just started a game (still no solenoids work), this time I could hit switches and this wasn't happening:

Quoted from pinlink:

Also, if you start a game, you can hit one switch then it ends your ball as if the ball just drained.

#61 6 years ago

Well crap. I put the working rectifier board back in the other game, and now that game won't boot.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

I need more details. How much voltage did you measure on each pin? When the game was counting through the solenoids tests, did the voltages change?

Edit. See below

#64 6 years ago

Ok this time they all stayed around 4.9. At times dipping down quickly to around 2.5. but mostly staying at 4.9ish.

Except 19. There is nothing there.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

So when you say nothing on pin 19, do you mean 0 volts? Can you now go to sound test mode and measure pin 19 again? It should go to 5 volts from memory.
And all pins 20-23 sat mostly at 4.9 volts but they each quickly dipped to 2.5 volts at various stages of solenoid test?

Yes it is 0 volts on pin 19. You are right, when I am in sound test I do get 5 volts on 19. I tried it again during solenoid test and still nothing on 19 pin.

Yes they are mostly sitting around 5 volts it seems, and sometimes will drop down as low as 2.5ish at what appears to be random times during solenoid test.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

So this is telling us the SDB is receiving commands from the MPU board to activate solenoids.
In post #36 on page 1, mk1mod0 asked you to ground the metal tabs of the driver transistors on the SDB to see if solenoids activate.
Your reply on post #43 was that grounding most of those transistor metal tabs did indeed activate solenoids.
So all this points to a problem on your SDB that the commands received from the MPU board are not translated to activate the driver transistors on the board. I know you said you swapped the SDB, but was the replacement 100% known good?
Next test:
Go to solenoid test mode and measure the voltage on pin 13 of U2. This should normally sit somewhere around 4 volts, but at solenoid test 08 (right slingshot), the voltage should quickly dip towards 0 volts.
Is this what you are seeing?
There are more tests we need to do here but I've gotta go. We'll continue tomorrow.

Yes the SDB was 100% working, it came from a working game. This is the same game I pulled the working rectifier board from.

However:

Quoted from pinlink:

Well crap. I put the working rectifier board back in the other game, and now that game won't boot.

There is 0 volts on pin 13. In fact, the only pins that have any voltage whatsoever are pins 20-23. All other pins on U2 are 0 volts.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Good on you for taking the initiative and measuring all the pins on U2 because you've just found the problem. The logic side of the SDB has no 5V power. If you measure the voltage on TP3 of the SDB and it reads 0 volts that will confirm it.
Check the schematic below. The SDB generates 5V logic power for all the boards. On pin 13 of J3 the 5V power goes out and comes back in to the SDB on pin 25 of J3 (it's the dotted line circled in red) and this powers U2 and the pre-driver section of the solenoid driver transistors. So you have an open connection on pin 13 and/or pin 25 of J3.
Infact one of the recommended mod fixes for the SDB is to solder a wire on the back of the board between pin 13 and pin 25 of J3 header to bypass this weak link in the J3 connector.

Man, thank you SO much for all of your help with this problem!!

You were EXACTLY right. I looked at J3 closely this morning and tugged on pins 13 and 25. 25 came right out with a light tug. Re-pinned J3 and boom. Everything is working correctly now.

Seriously can't thank you and everyone that contributed to this thread enough. This is what makes pinside great.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go play some Fathom now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Green Lane, PA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fathom-not-booting?tu=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.