Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-305.jpg
ebayPayPalFeeCalc.jpg
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Hey guys, kinda new to this, but I have a below average condition Bally Fathom. It turns on and has the pieces but it's been just sitting in storage for a long time. We may be looking to move it soon. I'll post pictures tomorrow. In the Twin Cities, MN area. (Forest Lake to be exact, about 35-40 minutes north of Minneapolis/St Paul.)

EDIT: Picture, videos and guidelines available in posts below. It's goin to be a local pick up only deal.

SECOND EDIT: I've created an eBay auction for this machine. When I came into this, I didn't know exactly how rare these are and that selling it auction-style here on Pinside was frowned upon. I now know that so I took the hassle out of it and just created the auction.

ebay.com link: itm

#2 10 years ago

Can't wait. Fathom is suave !

#4 10 years ago

I really want a Fathom and will gladly get in the pm line.

#5 10 years ago

It seems as if a number of us have contacted you. Any idea on what price will be or who will get a chance at it?

#6 10 years ago

Damn hope you all pass... pm sent

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

It seems as if a number of us have contacted you. Any idea on what price will be or who will get a chance at it?

And I've PMd everyone back, including you. I am going to post some pictures today before I talk price. I don't want people blindly throwing prices out without having seen it and then for there to be some disappointment/resentment when the pictures are posted.

I will keep everyone updated, I just wanted to get some feelers out first on the interest level before it was the Easter Holiday. Thanks everyone for your interest so far and hope you all have a Happy Easter! I'll post the picture a bit later today after the Easter festivities.

#8 10 years ago

There was also this post earlier in the night. I wonder where we're already at with the bidding sight-unseen? Looking forward to seeing what this thing looks like!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fathom-available

#9 10 years ago

I had posted that in the wrong forum though, so that's why there is the double post. I haven't talked money with a single person yet and haven't even gotten an offer yet. I want people to see it before any sort of offer is discussed.

#10 10 years ago

Wow. I'm shocked that your haven't gotten an offer yet. People tend to start crawling over each other anytime something like this pops up on Piniside, CL, etc these days. Fathom is very sought after around here. Looking forward to seeing it.

#11 10 years ago

Alright guys, sorry I'm a little late with this, Easter took a lot of time and can't miss Game of Thrones! Here is a photobucket account with nearly 70 pictures of the Fathom. I also am including two YouTube links of videos that I created with this machine. It does work. The speaker works but doesn't make all the sounds and some lights are burnt out. The blue bumpers have the tops but original tops, but the tabs are broken off. Also, the key to open the back glass is broken off in the lock, but it is still easily accessible. Also, near the flippers on the backboard, the previous owner (and it had to be a long time ago, because my family has owned the machine for over 20 years) tried to use his own touch up paint on it. Close ups includes in the gallery. Any questions, feel free to ask!

http://s100.photobucket.com/user/jeffnorton829/library/

#12 10 years ago

Also, sorry for a few duplicate looking pictures. Just wanted to make sure everyone got a good look. The manual is included.

#13 10 years ago

Awesome. Thanks!

#14 10 years ago

Ok guys here's the deal. I want to do local pick up only, so if that's not something you can do, I'm sorry but it won't work. I'm selling this for my parents and they've indicated they do not want to deal with shipping an object of this size.

If you're still interested, I'm simply going to take bids through PM until 10 pm central Tuesday night. At that time, whoever has the highest bid will be awarded the machine. I will tell you if you are the highest bidder or not. If you aren't, you can choose to up your bid. And I do have a suitable offer already.

Thanks for the interest guys!!

#15 10 years ago

Fair enough!

#16 10 years ago

And I'm sorry if the way I'm doing it upsets anyone. I'm simply selling this for my parents and getting them the best deal possible. If you don't like the way I'm handling it, you do not have to offer. Thanks a good luck!

#17 10 years ago

Didn't know "auctions" were allowed here. This kind of selling rubs me the wrong way, but that's just my opinion of course. I'm out, even though I was the first to contact the seller. Not that this will upset others that want it of course!

#18 10 years ago

Yes, just put a price on it, we all know it will cost some $'s!

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnotrizzle:

Ok guys here's the deal. I want to do local pick up only

Location unknown...

#20 10 years ago

Looks in decent physical shape from the video.
I am sure you will get a ton of email if you are pricing right.

GLWS.

#21 10 years ago

Would be VERY helpful if we all knew what city/state the machine is located in.

#22 10 years ago

first post says says " In the Twin Cities, MN area." ... does that help?

#23 10 years ago

Sorry guys, I could've specified. It's in the Forest Lake, Minnesota area. It's about 40 minutes north of Minneapolis/St Paul

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnotrizzle:

Sorry guys, I could've specified. It's in the Forest Lake, Minnesota area. It's about 40 minutes north of Minneapolis/St Paul

And a very very very long way from Australia

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4life:

Didn't know "auctions" were allowed here. This kind of selling rubs me the wrong way, but that's just my opinion of course. I'm out, even though I was the first to contact the seller. Not that this will upset others that want it of course!

I'm sorry. To me, its just the best way to get the best possible deal for the sale. I'm not well versed in the pinball community, so it's tough for me to set a price even with the research I've done. It might be laugh-in-my-face preposterous or such a good deal it's snatched up before I can finish my sentence. Either way, to me, it essentially comes down to it being worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Thanks for the interest and I'm sorry it didn't work out. Cheers and good luck to you in your search!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball4life:

Auctions are not allowed, but it's an unofficial policy.
Best to just avoid these - no matter how bad you want the title.

Seller - I sympathize, but you belong on E-Bay/not Pinside - PERIOD!---and if anybody buys this and it turns out to be a lemon+7 - do not say you weren't warned.

#27 10 years ago

Hey guys, per Pinside's preference, I think I'm going to move the auction to eBay. I don't want people to think Im some sort of shady guy or trying to screw people into higher prices. My parents simply decided to get rid of an old pinball machine and tasked me with selling it. This way, everyone will know the high bids and it will be clear, crisp and easier for everyone. Local pick up will still apply.

I will post the ebay link shortly, as I'm driving to work right now, I'm going to start the bidding on the auction at $1,000, since that seemed to be the starting point here..

Thanks for your time guys and sorry to anyone who offended by the way I was handling this.

#28 10 years ago

Jeez, guys, that's some Pinside hospitality. Whatever happened to GLWTS?

#29 10 years ago

I don't have a dog in this hunt: I'm nowhere near MN, and not THAT interested in a Fathom, but what's wrong with asking people to contact you privately (PM, email, or otherwise) to make a bid on a machine? The blind auction isn't being held on Pinside, only its existence is being announced --- to a group of people that contains many who will be / are interested in making a bid on such a pin. I don't see the issue.

Further, I'd rather a pinsider get the pin in lieu of anyone that is on eBay.

Is announcing an auction that will take place outside of a Pinside thread not allowed?

#30 10 years ago

Or, he could have posted a fair price and likely gotten it, avoiding the need for Paypal and Ebay fees.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Or, he could have posted a fair price and likely gotten it, avoiding the need for Paypal and Ebay fees.

Except he stated that doesn't know what a fair price is. So what is a fair price for a project Fathom? I can't even tell you what a fair price is for this title in this condition is. I can tell you that I offered $1000 and that somebody offered more. A friend of mine referred to Fathom as Mermaideval Madness and she couldn't have hit the nail more on the head.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

The problem is knowing what a "fair" price is on a Fathom in this condition, especially if you're not familiar with this hobby and trying to sell it for a family member. I've been in the hobby close to a decade and have a couple of early SS Bally games and I'm still not even sure what a "fair" price would be on a Fathom because they don't seem to come up for sale very often. I suppose the best way to do it would be for the OP to do a price check thread with pictures and info on the game and gather info and then post a for sale thread after receiving feedback from the community. GLWS! Fathom is one of the best game's from its era. If repro playfields were more readily available/affordable I would be interested in buying it as the Twin Cities isn't too far from me.

#33 10 years ago

That last two I saw "restored" sold for like $5000, so if the seller went off that and said "FS in MPLS: Fathom $3000 obo", the price police would've had his head! Question is, not knowing the hobby or the value of his game, would he have been out of line with that assumption?

#34 10 years ago

Hey guys, I appreciate the support some are offering, and I understand other's concerns with the auction-type sale here in a forum. It just wasn't something I could find a ton of info on, therefore I was hesitant to put my own price on it.

My parents don't mind paying the PayPal and eBay fees, as it was just collecting dust in their basement for the last 15 years, and they were a week away from throwing it out at the local clean up days until I told them I'd check on it.

With all of that said, I created an eBay auction that anyone is free to bid on. I also added the back of the backglass picture that some had requested on here. It is in very good shape with just two very small paint cracks near the bottom of it. I sincerely hope someone who really wants this gets this, and cheers if it's one of you guys!

Thanks for the help and advice some have offered, it's been much appreciated from someone who self-admittedly knows nothing about pinball machines. I never knew the pinball community was this big and passionate! Good luck to everyone and take care! Maybe I'll be meeting one of you in the future for pick up!

Jeff

#35 10 years ago

Ebay link doesn't work

#36 10 years ago

Sorry about that, does this one work?

#37 10 years ago

There's no telling where the market is on this game right now.

http://www.bostonpinball.biz/eBay112013.htm

The Boston Pinball page is a good resource, but there's no way to tell what condition those games were in.

At 3,500 units, I would hardly call it rare, yet they don't seem to change hands often.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

That last two I saw "restored" sold for like $5000, so if the seller went off that and said "FS in MPLS: Fathom $3000 obo", the price police would've had his head! Question is, not knowing the hobby or the value of his game, would he have been out of line with that assumption?

If he would have posted a price of $3000 on it, it would have sold immediately probably. Not kidding. There isn't much of a gap between the restored and project Fathoms. On ebay I would guess that it will for sure bring $2500.

#39 10 years ago

And when someone here has to pay $500+ more than they would have if it would have went as the OP originally suggested, we have the Pinside police above to thank for it. I didn't see anything wrong with what he was doing.

#40 10 years ago

Well then I gave one away for $1900 then a month ago on here. Guess that's why the guy didn't mind paying shipping

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Well then I gave one away for $1900 then a month ago on here. Guess that's why the guy didn't mind paying shipping

Mermaideval Madness

#42 10 years ago

I'm two weeks away from getting my fathom with a CPR play field installed. Yippe

#43 10 years ago

There's a growing list of harder to find titles where the prices have been going up, sometimes way up, regardless of what long term collectors and pinheads think.

It's good and bad. Good for selling, bad for buying. We might think we know what's 'fair', but then there is the open market.

#44 10 years ago

Can't imagine anyone buying that game as a "player". Hope buyer is looking close at that playfield.... or has a CPR for it.

#45 10 years ago

I believe that's the idea here.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Jnotrizzle:

My parents don't mind paying the PayPal and eBay fees,

13% + ???

List the game for $1000, sells for $2000, you will owe eBay $200 in fees, and PayPal another $60 and that's plain vanilla auction. Add pics, special stuff and it will be higher. Just be aware of this.

ebayPayPalFeeCalc.jpgebayPayPalFeeCalc.jpg

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Can't imagine anyone buying that game as a "player". Hope buyer is looking close at that playfield.... or has a CPR for it.

I think the current high bid could possibly be someone messing with the seller because they didn't like the way things went down. I wanted this but have turned down two at better prices so I can't compete. I have a pretty open mind but I can't fathom 2K for this game.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

13% + ???
List the game for $1000, sells for $2000, you will owe eBay $200 in fees, and PayPal another $60 and that's plain vanilla auction. Add pics, special stuff and it will be higher. Just be aware of this.

ebayPayPalFeeCalc.jpg 75 KB

Yeah but with a machine like this, there really is no clear baseline of what the range is for a sale. Even with the fees, you aren't leaving money on the table, as it really is a pretty unique item with a huge range of perceived value.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I have a pretty open mind but I can't fathom 2K for this game

I see what you did there.... well played. I was originally thinking around 2k as it sat, should be interesting to see. the fact that a repro playfield exists for this is what is going to drive it up.

#50 10 years ago

Also by accepting PayPal but only accepting local pickups, you run a HUGE risk of someone paying you, picking it up, then lying and getting their money back and keeping the game. PayPal is very risky for local pickups.

PS: I have no interest in the game myself. Already have a Bally and enjoy my Williams a lot more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fathom-available-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.