You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3820 (resized).jpg
IMG_3819 (resized).jpg
IMG_3818 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I recently picked up a solid state E.K. and three of the four chimes seem weak. I put new foam strips underneath the chime plungers to give them an extra boost, but with no improvement. I was going to order a PBR chime rebuild kit even though everything looked clean and fine, and then I noticed that the three weaker chimes all had replacement coils, while the one strong chime had an original coil. The replacement coils have the right number, but I've got to believe they are somehow weaker or perhaps installed wrong. Anyone else experience this before. I seem to come across weak chimes in Bally games fairly often and almost never on Gottlieb's of the same era.

IMG_3818 (resized).jpgIMG_3818 (resized).jpgIMG_3819 (resized).jpgIMG_3819 (resized).jpgIMG_3820 (resized).jpgIMG_3820 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

What I have found over the years is that the white nylon end of the coil plunger is either missing or worn down.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

What I have found over the years is that the white nylon end of the coil plunger is either missing or worn down.

In this case, mine are perfect. And putting felt underneath to lift them an extra quarter inch didn't help. I ran a jumper from the weak coil to the strong coil and then activated the strong coil by hitting a target that would normally activate the weak coil and the strong coil activated fine, so it is not a weak impulse. It just seems to be weak coils even though they are supposedly the correct number.

#4 5 years ago

Measure the resistance on the replacements and compare to the original. Might be higher (weaker). You can unwind a coil some to make it stronger.

Also, if the 3 replacements are the 10's, 100's, and 1000's chimes - keep in mind that these are used far more than the 10k chime bar. The bar itself might have an indent in it you can flip the bar around to have it hit 'fresh' metal.

#5 5 years ago

Check the connector J2 at the solenoid driver board.
If these are making bad contact this is what happens.

5 years later
#6 84 days ago

Did you ever solve this problem? I'm having a similar issue. Repinned j2, didn't resolve it. Plastic plungers look good. Flipped all the steel pieces. Still no luck. Also, seeing good voltage a tp 2 on mpu. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Ryan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 179.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-evel-knievel-chime-coil-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.