(Topic ID: 280336)

Bally Embryon Won't Boot. Help needed

By pinlink

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FECE7C82-421A-4D1C-AE19-F180C098B941 (resized).jpeg
    D1183D5E-83F8-4E53-AC7C-99DD7DF0FFB0 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

With the original SDB installed, F3 on the rectifier board blows at power up. I have an Altek mpu board installed. First it would almost boot completely and give me all 7 flashes, but then the red "over voltage" light would come on and not boot.

Now it won't even get to that point, F3 on the rectifier board just blows immediately.

I don't believe the problem to be on the rectifier board because I put a known working one in the game and same thing, F3 blew immediately.

Edit: Installed a new Altek solenoid driver board and now nothing is happening, only the red light on the mpu comes on that says "over voltage".

Any advice is appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

That fuse is for the unregulated +5VDC. Most likely your problem is on the solenoid driver board, where the +5VDC circuit is created. Before ever hooking up any MPU, it's a good idea to check this voltage supply. You probably have a bad +5 VDC filter cap, maybe something else. There are also some mods to be done to the SDB board to improve its reliability. See section: 2c. Before Turning the Game On: Upgrading the Voltage Regulator/Solenoid Driver Board.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm#pd

#3 3 years ago

I just put a new solenoid driver board in and now the red light on the Altek mpu come on that says "over voltage". Nothing else happens. Doesn't boot, no flashes, fuse doesn't blow nothing.

#4 3 years ago

TP6 on this new solenoid driver is low. Should be 5V but measuring 1.6V

D1183D5E-83F8-4E53-AC7C-99DD7DF0FFB0 (resized).jpegD1183D5E-83F8-4E53-AC7C-99DD7DF0FFB0 (resized).jpegFECE7C82-421A-4D1C-AE19-F180C098B941 (resized).jpegFECE7C82-421A-4D1C-AE19-F180C098B941 (resized).jpeg
    #5 3 years ago

Rectifier board tests:
    TP1 7.5
    TP2 205
    TP3 15.88
    TP4 5.6 VAC
    TP5 43.6

#6 3 years ago

The original solenoid driver board installed the F3 fuse on the rectifier board blows immediately. With the new Altek solenoid driver, I just get the red light on the mpu, nothing happens.

#7 3 years ago

Reading a few other threads, it seems as though the "over voltage" light on the mpu can also mean under voltage which I assume is the problem here based on the TP on the Altek solenoid driver measuring low. 1.6v when it should be 5v

What should I look at?

#8 3 years ago

Also TP3 on the Altek SDB is low. Should be 3.3v but measuring 0.78v

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Rectifier board tests:

TP3 15.88

Seems like this might be a cable problem. Is this DC voltage making it to J3 pin 12 of the SDB? (note, this is according to the schematics for the stock game, just in case the Alltek is labeled differently)

#10 3 years ago

Just measured it and pin12 on J3 on the SDB is 16.46

#11 3 years ago

Pins 13-16 on J3 on SDB are all measuring around 1.5v

I think they should be 5v? Any idea why I'm not getting 5v there? Thanks!

#12 3 years ago

I'm not certain of the Alltek, and the differences between it and the standard SDB. I'd be looking at the SDB regulator and see what is at the inputs and outputs. I'm actually wondering if the overvoltage indicator came on because the SDB is unhappy with the 16VDC coming in...just not familiar with that particular product. Anyone else care to jump in here?

#13 3 years ago

Had a Bally Eight Ball with an Alltek mpu and sometimes the game would get all weird with crazy displays, sometimes it wouldn’t boot. Whenever it would malfunction the red lite on the mpu would lite up. Fixed it by recrimping a couple wires on one of the connectors, either the top left or bottom left of the mpu. I think it was a red wire on top left. Try wiggling those connectors with the game on, see what happens.

#14 3 years ago

Thanks, guys. I just made sure all the wires were plugged in well at the mpu as you suggested but no change. Wiggled them around while the game was on too but nothing. I did repin these connectors recently too.

Still wondering why I'm not getting 5V on the SDB. I also measured pin25 on J3 SDB and it also comes in around 1.5v. so I'm not getting 5V anywhere on the SDB. This SDB works great in my other game I pulled it from.

Doesn't the mpu get it's 5v from the SDB? Seems that I need to figure out why there is no 5v on SDB.

#15 3 years ago

If the SDB is working in another game, it seems something you are plugging into the SDB in the non working game is dragging down the 5 VDC, either the MPU, or a bad/miswired cable.

#16 3 years ago

I'm stumped. Just checked the schematic to make sure and everything is wired correctly and it is.

How can I check to see what may be dragging it down?

#17 3 years ago

Unplug the MPU and Lamp boards. Is the 5v still low on the SDB?

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Unplug the MPU and Lamp boards. Is the 5v still low on the SDB?

As I was going to test this, I noticed that J4 on the lamp driver was off by one pin . Can't belived I missed this, but after I fixed it, the game works!!!!!

Thank you all so very much!! Put the original SDB back in too and all is good!

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I noticed that J4 on the lamp driver was off by one pin

Is there not a plastic key in the connector keeping you from pluggjng it in one pin off?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Is there not a plastic key in the connector keeping you from pluggjng it in one pin off?

Probably so but nothing that kept him from sliding the wire in wrong position when he repined the game... just saying I nay have done that once or twice....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-embryon-won-t-boot-blowing-fuse-f3-on-power-up-help-needed?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.