(Topic ID: 287765)

Bally EM setting for free play?

By JeffThanksYou

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Is there a preferred method / process for setting up free play on mid 70"s Bally EM. For the longest time mine had had one of the wires disconnected from the credit wheel step unit - the decreasing coil mechanism - the credit wheel stays stationary obviously and the game starts with just the front door push button. If I connect the wire it adds credits when coins are added- and decreases as they are played and the credit wheel and game operate in what appears to be proper procedure as well. I suspect this is not the way others have made their games "free play" so was interested in feedback. Thanks

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from JeffThanksYou:

Is there a preferred method / process for setting up free play on mid 70"s Bally EM. For the longest time mine had had one of the wires disconnected from the credit wheel step unit - the decreasing coil mechanism - the credit wheel stays stationary obviously and the game starts with just the front door push button. If I connect the wire it adds credits when coins are added- and decreases as they are played and the credit wheel and game operate in what appears to be proper procedure as well. I suspect this is not the way others have made their games "free play" so was interested in feedback. Thanks

Just adjust the switch on the credit wheel so it is in the same position as if there is a credit on it even when it sits at 0.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Just adjust the switch on the credit wheel so it is in the same position as if there is a credit on it even when it sits at 0.

Thanks Tomass & currieddog. Very helpful info. Not sure why mine was done by removing the wire to the "step down" coil lead but I like the idea of all components (other than the adjusted switch) working properly on the machine- will make the correction

#5 3 years ago

Not sure why mine was done by removing the wire to the "step down" coil lead

Person likely didn't know another method. Bonus with doing it right: credit wheel will still go up and down, but it won't matter if it hits '0'.

#6 3 years ago

Thanks Tomass & currieddog. Very helpful info. Not sure why mine was done by removing the wire to the "step down" coil lead but I like the idea of all components (other than the adjusted switch) working properly on the machine- will make the correction

The problem with disabling the decrement coil is eventually you'll reach max credits then you can't win games.

The above advice is the proper way to do it. You see all sorts of crazy hacks for this.

The first game I ever owned had a jumper soldered on the zero position switch so even when it opened it was "closed." It worked fine so I never changed it. Still there 50 years later.

#7 3 years ago

I just put an alligator clip on the credit switch. Easy to take off to return to coin-op.

#8 3 years ago

A cotter pin wedged across the zero switch solder tabs does the trick and it will still add credits to the wheel when you match or get a replay score.

Worked great on my ‘76 Aladdin’s Castle

1 week later
    #9 3 years ago

So interesting development.... as the credit wheel hadn’t been being used it obviously was sluggish just when manually activating it- took to cleaning it - it did have some muck buildup but wasn’t awful- nonetheless cleaned up the cog wheel shaft et al - other than swinging the switch stack out the way so cog wheel could be removed/cleaned didn’t touch anything else - now no response at all when i hit the credit switch on the front door- this has worked flawlessly for many years - if i drop coins in the either chute credits get added - but no startup when I push switch - either with credit wheel at 0 or showing credits (and credit light on apron comes on)
    So I’m thinking some how I must have misaligned switches on the stack - there is a third switch between the credit switch and the credit limit switch (unlike the photo in the em repair link above) - but they appear ok

Any thoughts as doesn’t seem like it could suddenly be anything else?

#10 3 years ago

Turns out a wire came free .....on the zero credit switch there is a grey/yellow wire (93 on the schematic)- the other end is now free - i cant seem to follow/trace where this other end came off- based on proximity would appear to be one of the other switch lugs but having hard time figuring out where

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-setting-for-free-play?hl=tomass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.