Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by revrock81
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider I_P_D_B.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I checked IPDB in an effort to answer my own question, and they erroneously state that "...after several hits on the mushroom bumpers with the second ball, the captured ball is released into play)."
The captured ball is not actually released into play, but returned to the shooter lane. From that point on, I guess it's optional for the player to shoot it into play, or to wait until the ball in play drains, then shoot the extra ball. I never did get mine working properly, so I don't know that if you choose the latter you can push a second ball up into the shooter lane.
Since the captured ball is not automatically put into play, I don't know if the game is a true multiball game. I would think that it is not.

It could be said that shooting a ball is part of playing a ball but I see your finer distinction of what "into play" means to you and I can update the Mad World text to reflect that the balls are released to the shooter lane (not back onto the playfield). Now, maybe some people believe that that is enough to call it multi-ball while others may believe that multi-ball can only be something that is fully automatic and not involving the player pulling the plunger. There are solid-state games that initiate multi-ball by delivering balls to the shooter lane then auto-plunging them onto the playfield so we know from this that the shooter lane itself should not be excluded from our thinking. Then for example there is Williams 1980 Black Knight's end-of-game Bonus Ball for "unlimited multi-ball" which delivers drained balls to the plunger repeatedly until the timer expires and the player has to shoot them into play to maintain multi-ball.

Our glossary definition of multi-ball is pretty loosey-goosey: "When several balls are in play at one time." In play, as in on the playfield? What did we mean?

Hmm... We may have kept it loose for a reason. Thinking more about this, for the multitude of EM games that came equipped with 5 steel balls resting in a trough under the playfield and visible through a window in the cardholder, how else are players supposed to describe the mode they create when they ball-lift more than one ball to the shooter lane and plunge them into simultaneous play?

I'll look for additional input here before I might re-write anything.

Thanks!

Jay

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure if the design intent was to have more than one ball in play at a time, or was it just a way to award an extra ball. I've never played a fully working "Mad World" machine, so I can't really give an answer based on experience.

Yeah, I see what you mean, too. I just read the Bally flyer and this trapped ball is a player-to-player and game-to-game carry-over feature. Maybe someone who owns the game can describe how this trapped ball, once delivered to the shooter lane (and left there by the player), affects the ball-count (during single-player operation) or player-up (during two-player operation) when the active ball drains to the outhole.

After typing that last sentence out, I can almost guess the operation, but I'll wait to see what a knowledgeable player of Mad World might tell us.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lewiston, NY
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 22.50
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider I_P_D_B.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-machines-with-multiball?tu=I_P_D_B and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.