10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Retropin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I've heard a lot of hate for Bally EM games in general. People calling them cheaply made, boring, ugly, etc. Is there truth to these claims? I personally think that a lot of them look great with their "pointy people" art. Plus a good number of them had multi-ball and quite deep rules (as far as EMs go) so I don't quite get why people might consider them boring. The cheapness I can't comment on because sadly I've only ever seen these games on youtube and IPDB. Are these negative claims about EM Bally games true? How do they compare with Gottlieb and Williams around the sixties and seventies?

And as a side note, which zipper flipper era game do you think is best?

#2 10 years ago

Zipper Flipper pinball preference. In order of preference.

1.) 1972 Bally Fireball
    2.) 1972 Bally Fireball
    3.) 1972 Bally Fireball
    4.) 1972 Bally Fireball
    5.) 1972 Bally Fireball

Honorable Mention...."Nip It"

Just so you know Gottlieb was king of EMs from 1947's Humpty Dumpty to 1977. There were a handful of good EMs made by Bally and very few made by Williams. The only Williams 70's EM that I would even consider owning is 1976 Space Mission / Space Odyssey. The pointy people pins of the early 70's were mass produced and dumped on the market. Just look at CL saturated with early 70's Williams pinballs at 200 or 300 dollars a piece even in working condition.

#3 10 years ago

The mechanical assemblies of Bally EM are not built as robust as Gottlieb components in my opinion. That is not to say that they break all the time. Bally machines work just fine or they wouldn't still be around today. The Zipper Flippers are cool, but not my cup of tea.

I've played a few Williams games as well. I really liked Aztec.

In the end, what games do you like? Play the games you find enjoyment from regardless of what other people may say.

#4 10 years ago

Gottlieb does stand on top as far as quality is concerned and has many more collectible EMs than the rest put together, but a Fireball in good condition is a real treasure. It is just way too fun. I recently played a Fireball classic with regular flippers, and it's just not the same as the zipper flippers, that add to the challenge and the basic mechanical flow of the game. Last night we played every pin here, and I think the most fun we had was on Fireball. When you can actually have all three balls in play for an extended period of time, it is most rewarding.

#5 10 years ago

Gottlieb Wedgeheads are the absolute best and certain titles are very fun and highly collectible ... that is what I have and collect ... but I will admit I have 1 Bally pinball, and that is the Fireball. It is a awesome game!

#6 10 years ago

For zipper flipper games, my vote goes to 4 Million BC - it's a blast. Of course I'm a bit biased as I happen to own it. Fireball is awesome too!

I also have to agree with others on the Gottlieb wedgeheads. They really are a standout in terms of overall quality and artwork.

#7 10 years ago

Not an EM but Medusa has zipper flippers that are cool. Makes the playfield almost seem multi-layer.

#8 10 years ago

BALLY EM's.... the silent treasure! Zipper Flippers are a very cool feature and BALLY em's are real sleepers and a lot of fun to play. I collect all 3 of the major manufacturers.. each have their own feel to them,
    GOTTLIEB - far more collectable but GTB70's games can be slow.. floaty balls.. drop targets that dont reset unless you deliberately lose the ball ( High Hand???).. they are not without fault.
    WILLIAMS - faster tables, not much in the way of gameplay for the majority but for pure keep the ball alive as best you can.. Williams are the way to go.
    BALLY - really sit in the middle of the two... fly through a Bally spinner and listen to the relays keeping up.. they have a great feel to them and BALLY have made some exceptional games.
    Ignore this manufacturer and it is your own loss..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-games-zipper-flipper-era and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.