View topic image gallery

bridge_3 (resized).jpg
bridge_2 (resized).jpg
bridge_1 (resized).jpg
OC_Cap (resized).jpg
OC_Cap (resized).jpg
Rectifier voltages (resized).png
Bridge_OC (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skidave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 2 years ago

That capacitor is a snubber cap for RF spikes from coils. It is not smoothing the rectified waveform.

As mentioned earlier, you could have one leg of the bridge out. If you had an oscilloscope, you could look at the waveform and see what is going on.

Replace and report back. Also, double check the wiring to / from the bridge.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

That's interesting. Can you elaborate? I agree that the cap seems small to do much rectifying but your comment makes me wonder...
- Without much smoothing, the pop bumpers are essentially running on rectified AC and not DC. Is that right?
- How would one effectively measure rectified AC without an oscilloscope?
- How are the RF spikes generated since the solenoids have diodes to handle the voltage spike when the switch opens?
- What is the potential victim of an RF spike? The bridge rectifier? Or was it an FCC thing?

Great questions. I'll briefly elaborate and maybe others can chime in.
-Rectified AC has similar potential as regular AC with only positive waveform spikes. In theory, the positive peak potential is the same, but with less downtime between the waveform peaks. I'm not sure how this changes coil response. My guess, is it makes the coil respond faster.
-Without a scope, I would use the frequency counter on your digital VM to see what the waveform frequency is measuring. It should be double the line frequency (60HZ would be 120 and 50HZ would be 100).
-Switch gaps cause the RF spike. On SS games, it is not the low voltage switch contacts, but flipper switches and EOS switches. In EM games, all switches.
-RF Spikes cause noise in the power lines and without EMI filtering on the power line, it will radiate to other electronics. In SS games, it can also cause issues with low voltage electronics, microprocessor and so on. That is why there should be some RF filtering on MPU boards via LC and RC networks on the supply voltage lines.

Quoted from Dono:

Can I use any type of 1 uf cap? I see PBR carries 2 different 1uf cap, and mouser carries a bunch of 1uf caps... I assume I can use either polarized or non... true?

Just order what PBR or Marco has. I use Mouser all the time, but you will drive yourself nuts trying to pick out the best cap if you are not familiar. Also, this should NOT be a polarized cap.

#29 2 years ago

One more thing I thought of, most bridges have the sine wave symbol for the AC (input) and then the + / - for the rectified output. Do you have your wiring correct?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skidave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-bridge-rectifier-question-old-chicago-others?tu=Skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.