Bon_Voyage_Schematic_startup_1.jpg
Bon_Voyage_Schematic_startup_2.jpg
Bon_Voyage_Schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
Bon_Voyage_Schematic_2.jpg
Bon_Voyage_Schematic_1.jpg
trip-bank-1-small.jpg
front-cabinet-mounting-board-1-small.jpg
schematic-coil-locations-game-over-small.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
maybe You have messed it up - BUT, maybe a broken-off wire has moved to the side as You have pulled a plug nearby. I once had a problem (driving me nuts): On one solder lug of the Extraball-Relay-Coil the wire has broken off - wires are stiff, the wire happened to stay in place (XB working) -> me nudging -> the broken-off wire moved a bit to the side (XB not working) -> me nudging -> it moved back (XB working) -> ->
So whenever You look at a coil or a switch: grab one wire after the other and pull a bit on the wire(s) ...

About Game-Relay (Latch and Trip) and Game-Over-Relay (only (?) Latch): You might have to present us a PDF of "part of schema". I was looking in ipdb and found (best): Bally-1972-Fore -> http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=917 -> schema -> the same situation as "Bon Voyage".

Please have a look at the places you have unplugged "Jones Plugs" -> is a "broken-off" wire nearby ? Have you plugged-in the males into the females "the correct way" ? Old plugs CAN be plugged in with a off-set -> males go in-between the females (what we do not want).

I would like You to follow the "Start-up Procedure": http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/343/Bally_1974_Bon_Voyage_Installation_and_General_Game_Operating_Instructions.pdf (starting on page-2).

Whenever you work on the pin: UNPLUG the Line-Cord, DANGER: 120 VAC (and 50 VAC and 6 VAC) around, You do not want to touch ...
Look for the Credit-Relay and the Coin-Relay and the Reset-Relay. Take a wooden stick (INSULATION) and try "push onto the anchor-plate of these relays" - simulating "the coil gets current and activates the relay (anchor plate) - practice this movement.

Plug-in the Line-Cord and turn-on the pin. I want to go through the manual -> 1D: Front Door Credit Button Switch will energize the Credit-Relay -> -> Coin-Relay.
You are now the "Credit-Buton-Switch" -> with the wooden stick push onto the anchor-plate of the Credit-Relay -> ? What happens ? Please report. Greetings Rolf

#9 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
great, you work on PDF to show. Here a lot of "good stuff" -> http://rwatts.cdyn.com/Machines/download_area.html -> down to the third link "Introduction to Bally Flipper Games": http://rwatts.cdyn.com/download/intro%20to%20bally%20flipper%20games.pdf (everything is good) -> page-19 and -20 (of 51) -> Motorized Trip Relay Bank. (I think: Yes (?)) Does your Bon Voyage has such a Motorized Trip Relay Bank ? I learned about +/- 2 weeks ago - I have never seen such a MOTORIZED Relay Bank ("Normal" Relay Banks: I Know).
I had an look in ipdb -> Bally-1972-Fore has such a Motorized Bank - it is a 1-Player game - it is from 1972 (close enough ?) AND IPDB SHOWS A SCHEMA -> Please look (ipdb-schema-"Fore") ->

F-7 (E-7) the Score-Motor and the wiring to switches 5000-Point-Relay / 500-Point-Relay / Special-Relay / Reset-Relay / COIN-RELAY. Some other relays also can start the Score-Motor / keep the Score-Motor running. "BALLY-Fore" would start and keep running its Score-Motor when the Switch on COIN-RELAY is closed - What does YOUR schema shows for "Score-Motor running" ?

On F-9 (E-9) You can see "RESET MOTOR" (I believe Motor for to reset the Trip-Relay-Bank), wiring and the switches Reset-Trip-Relay / COIN-RELAY / a Score-Motor-Switch (?). What does Your schema shows (switches for) "Reset-Motor running" ?

I think, You do not know about the "Lock-Relay" - also about the "Left Flipper Button".

In the evening the operator walked from pin to pin and switched-off the pin (switch underneath the cabinet) -> lights of the pin go off -> immediately afterwards he switched-on that switch (again) - NOT touching another thing -> pin is still turned-off -> the next morning the operator walked from pin to pin and just hit the Left-Flipper-Button -> the Lights go on and the pin is ready for customers to play ...

The Lock-Relay is active (keeps on pulling) from the moment "Lights go on" -> the -> whole -> day -> somebody turns-off the main switch (underneath the cabinet) in the evening. It is nice, Your Lock-Relay starts pulling and keep-on pulling.
WE MUST look for: Coin-Relay should pull, (Start-Relay should pull), Score-Motor should start, Reset-Motor should stop. And for these questions You should look-up in Your schema and/or show us the interesting parts of the schema. Greetings Rolf

#11 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
some more questions:

Do you have replays on the Replay-Counter ?

Does Your Score-Motor has a "Score-Motor Service-Jack". In the schema "Bally-Fore" I do not see one, in Wms Fan-Tas-Tic -> http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=820 -> schema -> D-5 (D-5) there is such a service jack - I see one Male (plug) and I see two female (sockets). Look in your pin -> One side of the Score-Motor -> a short wire ending in a male-plug. Is it plugged into ONE female (socket) or are there TWO female (sockets) and You have plugged in the male-plug into the female-socket AND on the solder-lug of this female-socket there is NO WIRE SOLDERED ON ? -> Pull and plug-in into the other female-socket.

Look in schema Bally-Fore -> F-2: A Normally-Closed-Switch on Delay-Relay. Follow the wire -> do You get to Score-Motor ? If that N.C.Switch on Delay-Relay is "faulty-open": The Score-Motor will not run ... Greetings Rolf

#15 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys +
my beloved Gottlieb Far Out also has a Score-Motor Service-Jack. I do not own a Bally. Bally pins are very similar to Williams pins - at least the "newer" ones (Score Motor / Player-Unit + Ball-Count-Unit, logic in circuitry ...).
I do not remember where I read this statement: "Carefully checked and counterchecked "switches drawn in the schema" <-> "switches in the pin (reality)". Well, 2 switches were only in the schema - 1 switch was only in the pin."

Maybe a bit confusing -for not to have a (narrow) very, very long drawing (schema): Bally schemas have a U-Turn on the "50 VAC" side of circuitry. At first glance we have the impression (Bottom <-> Top): there are 3 sections.

Again, Delay-Relay: Bally has constructed a funny way for to solve the problem "A relay must start pulling -> pulling for a while -> stop (quit) pulling". Gottlieb uses "Capacitor and Resistor", Williams uses "Capacitor and Resistor and Transistor".
xsvtoys, have You replaced the bulb on the Delay-Relais (455 - a flashing bulb) by a regular 47-bulb ? Is Your Delay-Relay "always pulling" ? (It should not). The Delay-Relay is for a HEAVY TILT (Score Motor not running but "Motor-for-bank-reset" might run).
I would like to test with "Jumper-Cables". You can do it on Your own - or You can show me parts of the schema and then I write about "What to jumper". To work witch Jumper-Wires: You (we) MUST have a schema - and KNOW what You (we) are doing.

Instead of writing it (here) again - Please have a look: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-space-time-extra-ball-functionality -> my post-15 -> print out the PDF -> look near the transformer -> ALWAYS USE POINT-99 !!! NEVER USE POINT-4 !!! (You want to have the fuse (maybe to blow) in Your circuitry.) Want to test Your Coin-Relay ? -> Test "Jumper-Cable-A". Then -B, then -C, then -D ? Greetings Rolf

#25 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys +
I use jumper-cables for the problem: XYZ-Relay should pull.
Another common problem is: ABC-Relay (Score-Motor / Motor of "Motorized-Relay-Bank" etc.) should NOT pull / run. Here I like to work with stripes of paper - I sneak-in a stripe of paper in-between the contacts of a switch -> "THIS ONE is securely open". I sneak-in between the "Contact-Points" (not just somewhere between the blades). I also have a look at the solder points of the blades. Has there a "piece of blank wire" fallen in-between ? Has some preowner have let fallen a screw-driver into the machine -> and the blades are bent and make "faulty-contact" ? Here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#fuses -> scroll down to the third picture: a bent blade making a short on a lamp-socket.
Is there a solder splash ? -> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#misc -> First picture ...

While waiting for the Jumper-Gator-Clips to come: Want to have a look at the problem "Motor of Reset-Bank keeps-on running" ? Your JPG-2: Transformer -> fuse -> Thick wire BLACK -> RESET-MOTOR -> Wire "G-B Green-Black (?)" -> Switch-on-Special-Relay and Switch on "B-E-Trip-Relay" OR Switch-on-Coin-Relay OR "Switch (on) Index Reset Motor". This switch is a "Self-Hold-Circuitry-Switch" (Once started -> the Motor shall complete a "Full-Turn" and at the end of its turn mechanically open that switch again).

At the time of "Start of a game": We do NOT need the Special-Relay -> lets eliminate the possible fault "Switch-on-Special-Relay--B-E-Trip-Relay is faulty-closed" -> sneak-in a stripe of paper in the "correct" switch on Special-Relay or (quick and dirty) sneak-in stripes of paper - into ALL switches on Special-Relay. Start a game -> Motor ?

If the motor is (still) running: LET THESE STRIPES OF PAPER in the switch(es) - maybe there are TWO faults in the circuitry -> have a look at the Coin-Relay and the Switch-on-Coin-Relay -> sneak-in stripe(s) of paper -> Start a game -> Motor ?

At the very-last: Have a look at the "Index-Wheel of Reset-Motor" - I doubt, this switch is bent "Faulty-always-closed (why should it ?). Please report.

Great, You made these JPGs. Greeting Rolf

#28 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
we are / I am waiting to read more about your "Bon Voyage" (I like Spinning Targets / Messenger Balls / Kick-Out-Eject-Holes).

Please write a NEW TOPIC (and mark it as "solved"), title and text:
Bally 1974 Bon Voyage schema schematic
Hi there - I made a PDF of Bon Voyage schema / schematic. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-bon-voyage-wont-start (my post-27). Greetings, xsvtoys

When You write this new topic: When (in the future) some owner of "Bon Voyage" is looking for a schema (searching in pinside.com) - he will find the schema ...

Did You always "throw-in" Coins - or have You manually switched the "Second Coin Chute Switch" / "Third Coin Chute Switch" ? AND accidentally bent a switch ?
Look in the schema "Credit-Relay -> -> -> thick wire YELLOW (returning to the transformer). See the "Second Coin Chute Switch" / "Third Coin Chute Switch" ? If one or both is/are bent and "faulty-open" then there is no "closed circuitry" for the Credit-Relay-Coil.
I would be temptet to set a Jumper-Cable "Score-Motor-1F" <-> Transformer-LUG-YELLOW (to jumper these Coin-Chute-Switches).

To "clip-on" a Jumper-Cable: I unplug / pull-out the Line-Cord (120 VAC). I clip-on "where it is harder to get at" - here: Score-Motor-1F - carefully lead the Jumper-Cable into the open (the cable shall not hinder functionality of relays etc.). Then I plug-in the Line-Cord (120 VAC), turn on and start a game and then I tip the open end of the Jumper-Cable onto Transformer-LUG-YELLOW. Greetings Rolf

#31 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
I like: http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/emTips.html and http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/ -> EM Games: http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair
AND http://www.pinrepair.com/ -> 1930s to 1978 EM: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm (EVERYTHING).
Please read about "beeing romantic" here - (2c.): http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#coindoor -> after the third picture ...

How do You "Check Continuity" ? To get a secure (100%) correct result You MUST unsolder one side of "I want to test this wire / switch / connection" ! There are many wires in the pin - You might get a "faulty" result (there is connection) - but You actually have a"Connection around in the pin" giving You this faulty result.

Pull the Line-Cord (NO 110VAC available) ! Take out the 10-Ampere-Fuse (schema: D-2 / E-2), check for continuity in between the socket-holders (of the fuse) -> Your result ? Turn Your meter to "Check Resistance (Ohms)" and measure again (in between the sockets) -> Your result ?
Maybe your meter has a "marginal-value" built-in (some Ohms) - below that marginal-value the Continuity-Checker tells You: Continuity. And above that marginal-value it tells you: NO Continuity (?)

Look in your schema: Socket-of-10-Amp-Fuse -> wire -> through the Normally-Closed-Switch-on-Delay-Relay -> to and through the "Coin-Lockout-Coil" -> wire -> Closed-Switch-1C-on-Score-Motor -> thick wire YELLOW -> through the "windings of transformer" -> Socket-of-Fuse (the other socket). When measuring Ohms: You should get a result (maybe 50 Ohms / maybe 100 Ohms ?) You should not get the result 10000000000000 Ohms. So my question: Is the "marginal-value" in Your meter set for to check continuity in pinball-machines ?

nickrooster has written something very important: "Score-Motor Index-Runout-Switch". xsvtoys, in Your post-1 You wrote about "changing setting plugs" - I did my "thinking" assuming the Score-Motor is 100%-well-running - a pin with "Score-Motor NOT stopped in propper-position (at run-Out)" can cause all kind of "crazy behavior" ...

Of course I did not invent "Testing with Jumper-Cables" - I like that kind of testing. For to test with Jumper-Cables one NEEDS a schema - I very much like "having a schema" ... Greetings Rolf

#32 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/using-schematics-and-8-foot-jumper-wires in my post-10 I show a JPG. For to "Check continuity" I use my manipulated "Green Flashlight" - two wires coming out - if I touch the bare ends: The Flashlight lights up (it does not lights-up when doing the Test "Fuse-Holder-sockets" (to much resistance in the "connection all the way around" for the bulb to light-up)). Some times I am rude to a pin - see text "U", "V", "W", "X"" - on a place "hard to get at": Most of the work I can do with ONE hand. After I have tested / repaired the pin: I connect "Male" and "Female" of these "Automotive Departement Car-Electric plugs" and let them in the pin for future use. Greetings Rolf

#34 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
Your schema (post-27) -> page-4 -> A26 and B26: Wire-Color-Code 93-2 = Gray-Yellow. 57-8 = White-Orange. 27-2 = Blue-Orange. 85-5 = Black-White. Greetings Rolf

#38 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
remarks on "Reading schematics": Below the "Plug Reference Table" see the text "Wires enclosed in ... Number-16 gauge ..." ? Nice to know (No-16-gauge) ?

On the schema "Bon Voyage" I DID NOT FIND THIS (following) TEXT (on Wms / Gtb schema it is): "The schema is drawn after a game has started for Player-1, the reset (Score-Wheels etc.) is done, the first ball lays in the "Launching Lane (ready for entering the playfield)" AND THE LINE-CORD IS PULLED !
That means: The Relays in the Relay-Bank are reset. Interlock-Relays are in a stable state. "Relays with a Self-Hold-Switch-for-to-stay-pulled" loose current (Line-Cord pulled) and return to "beeing in state INACTIVE". I tell You no lie -> look schema-C10 -> the "Self-Hold-Switch on Lock-Relay" is drawn OPEN. (Also schema-A2: the switches on Lock-Relay). Also schema-A4: The Switch on the Game-Over-Relay is in the state: "Game-Over-Light is off".
Sometimes I do see a switch drawn in the schema and I am a bit confused: "Drawn open" - should it be closed ??? -> I look in the pin and push onto the anchor-plate of that relay and watch the switch: When the switch wants to open: Does it securely open ? And vice versa. INTERLOCK-Relays are hard to understand.

A schema is NOT an "exploded view" - it is abstract / idealized / does not show "reality in the pin". It shows "a connection is in-between HERE and THERE", but the way it is connected in the pin might be a bit different.
Example Transformer -> 10-amp-fuse -> through switch-on-delay-relay -> wire "Black-Red" and then a short "stub to Lug-on-coil-of-2-Coin-Unit-step-Up-Solenoid". The wire "Black-Red" goes further -> a short "stub to Lug-on-coil-of-Coin-Relay". The wire "Black-Red" goes further -> "...2nd-Coin-Chute-Relay" -> "...3rd-Coin-Chute-Relay" -> > ->

In reality (in the pin): On a given lug: TWO wires "Black-Red" are soldered-on ( one coming to the lug and the other one goes further to the next Coil-on-relay ...
In reality MAYBE 2nd-Coin-Chute-Relay and 3rd-Coin-Chute-Relay and 2-Coin-Unit are mounted close together and MAYBE there is a wire "Black-Red" from "Switch-on-Delay-Relay" to the 3rd-Coin-Chute-Relay and from that lug there is a BLANK wire to the lug-on-Coil-of-2nd-Coin-Chute-Relay and the BLANK wire runs to (and ends there) "Step-Up-Coil-on-2-Coin-Unit".

You must "think into the schema": "Where in the Logic of game-play is the pin right now" ? For example: The schema is drawn "Ball-1 is ready to be launched" - YOU are studying "Ball-2 is in play and the ball makes 500 points and therefore the Score-Motor is running and "Switch-XYZ-on-Score-Motor-3 must be (tempory) closed" ... Greetings Rolf

#41 8 years ago

Hi xsvtoys
a switch on a relay or on the Score-Motor I sometimes jumper using a Screw-Driver ( I hold the plastic handle).
The JPG in Your post-33 -> below the "Red 4" -> the Make-and-Break-Switch on the Score-Motor (drawn as a Brake-and-Make-Switch): Manually turn the Score-Motor into "Home-Position". Look at Your Pictures (post-39): Bottom -> Up, I see SCM-1A, SCM-1B, SCM-1C, SCM-1D, SCM-1E and on top SCM-1F. Carefully clean / inspect these 3 blades. In Home-Position it should be: Top-Blade is free (no contact) AND 2nd and 3rd (top -> down) blades should have contact. CAREFULLY hold the Screw-Driver onto that switch - so 2nd and 3rd blade are connected (NO OTHER CONNECTION). Push the Replay-Button -> does the Credit-Relay start pulling - does the Score-Motor start running ? Immediately take away the Screw-Driver. Greetings Rolf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-bon-voyage-wont-start?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.