(Topic ID: 231305)

Bally EM Ball Counter LIGHT issues

By Jesterfunhouse

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jesterfunhouse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hello EM'ers! I have two Bally EM machines Fireball (1971) and Bon Voyage. Both of them have problems with the ball counter lights in the back box illuminating. PLEASE note this is not ball counter issue the game counts the balls fine. The ISSUE IS the lights do NOT come on consistently. I have tried changing and putting in new bulbs both 44, 47 and LED as well as old 47 bulbs that I know are working. For Fireball sometimes while you are playing the ball light will come on almost like you hit a certain switch and then it illuminates. Other times it never illuminates. Currently only ball "one" will light and this is after I replaced the new bulb with another working bulb from the backbox. I have the exact same issue with my Bon Voyage.

IS this a common problem and is there a common fix such as reflowing solder or using a certain kinda bulb etc?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Are the Player Up lights not working either? These games put the Ball Count lights and Player Up lights through a Make/Break switch on the Game Over relay as shown in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-aladdins-castle-#post-4724638
Check the schematic (available on ipdb.org) for the wire colors in your games.
/Mark

Yes the player up light are all working. Let me check this specifically but if you have any other suggestions let me know.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Check that the ball count disc is clean as is the wipers.

I will but as I said it counts the balls correctly each time no matter how many players it just won't light up and right now balls 2-5 all seem to be dead.

#6 5 years ago

Also on the socket I assume the bottom connection should be ground?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Check that the ball count disc is clean as is the wipers.

Actually wow this did the trick! I cleaned all the bakelight contacts and wipers as well as the stepper switches really well with rubbing alcohol and BANG all lights now work!

Thanks everyone case closed!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Was just coming in to say the same thing. I figured it had to be that because I had a similar issue with my Bon Voyage. But, it was with the match lights, not the ball in play lights. They would light, not light, switch around randomly, etc just like you saw. Just like all the ball in play lights go thru the ball count unit the match lights go thru the match unit, or the 00-90 unit as it’s called. I disassembled that and cleaned it up and same as you, problem solved!
I’ve been doing some work recently on the stepper units, deconstructing and rebuilding them, I’ve got lots of cool pics and videos, hope to get a post up soon with those goodies.

Thanks! BTW your Bon Voyage documentation is absolutely phenomenal. As a lifetime Bon Voyage owner I so appreciate everything you have done to document it as well as its benefit to the EM world in general. Look forward to your posts on Stepper units!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jesterfunhouse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-ball-counter-light-issues?tu=Jesterfunhouse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.