Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Jesterfunhouse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

Hello EM'ers! I have two Bally EM machines Fireball (1971) and Bon Voyage. Both of them have problems with the ball counter lights in the back box illuminating. PLEASE note this is not ball counter issue the game counts the balls fine. The ISSUE IS the lights do NOT come on consistently. I have tried changing and putting in new bulbs both 44, 47 and LED as well as old 47 bulbs that I know are working. For Fireball sometimes while you are playing the ball light will come on almost like you hit a certain switch and then it illuminates. Other times it never illuminates. Currently only ball "one" will light and this is after I replaced the new bulb with another working bulb from the backbox. I have the exact same issue with my Bon Voyage.

IS this a common problem and is there a common fix such as reflowing solder or using a certain kinda bulb etc?

#2 4 months ago

Are the Player Up lights not working either? These games put the Ball Count lights and Player Up lights through a Make/Break switch on the Game Over relay as shown in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-aladdins-castle-#post-4724638

Check the schematic (available on ipdb.org) for the wire colors in your games.

/Mark

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Are the Player Up lights not working either? These games put the Ball Count lights and Player Up lights through a Make/Break switch on the Game Over relay as shown in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-aladdins-castle-#post-4724638
Check the schematic (available on ipdb.org) for the wire colors in your games.
/Mark

Yes the player up light are all working. Let me check this specifically but if you have any other suggestions let me know.

#4 4 months ago

Check that the ball count disc is clean as is the wipers and tension on wiper fingers are adjusted correctly.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Check that the ball count disc is clean as is the wipers.

I will but as I said it counts the balls correctly each time no matter how many players it just won't light up and right now balls 2-5 all seem to be dead.

#6 4 months ago

Also on the socket I assume the bottom connection should be ground?

#7 4 months ago

I'd swap out the sockets. I had similar problems with my Gold Rush, and fresh sockets solved the problem.

#8 4 months ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Check that the ball count disc is clean as is the wipers.

Actually wow this did the trick! I cleaned all the bakelight contacts and wipers as well as the stepper switches really well with rubbing alcohol and BANG all lights now work!

Thanks everyone case closed!

#9 4 months ago

I overlooked the fact that the ball 1 light works. I agree with @cash_riprock and @drsfmd that it's more likely a problem with the wiper or the bulb sockets. Have you tried twisting the barrel of the bulb socket? Corrosion often gets between the socket barrel and the solder tab which breaks the connection between the two. If you twist the barrel the bulb might come on. That would prove that it's the socket and not the wiper that's causing the problem (for that bulb at least). If it is the socket you can try to solder the tab to the barrel if you don't want to replace sockets. That works sometimes.

#10 4 months ago

Bayonet sockets can be a pain in almost any era pin. Here's what I do with them if they are accessible before I replace them"

1. Clean inside with alcohol
2. Clean with dremel focusing on the inside near the lock channels and the cup on the end of the spring
3. Clean again with alcohol
4. Grab cup on end of spring with pliers or hemostat and pull toward end of socket. It won't move much
5. Use pliers to pinch in the free tabs on the lock channel a bit. Too much and the bulb wont go in.

This refurbs the socket. If it doesn't work after this there are a couple other tricks on pinwiki but it probably needs to be replaced

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Actually wow this did the trick! I cleaned all the bakelight contacts and wipers as well as the stepper switches really well with rubbing alcohol and BANG all lights now work!

Glad that worked for you. Enjoy the game.

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Was just coming in to say the same thing. I figured it had to be that because I had a similar issue with my Bon Voyage. But, it was with the match lights, not the ball in play lights. They would light, not light, switch around randomly, etc just like you saw. Just like all the ball in play lights go thru the ball count unit the match lights go thru the match unit, or the 00-90 unit as it’s called. I disassembled that and cleaned it up and same as you, problem solved!

I’ve been doing some work recently on the stepper units, deconstructing and rebuilding them, I’ve got lots of cool pics and videos, hope to get a post up soon with those goodies.

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Was just coming in to say the same thing. I figured it had to be that because I had a similar issue with my Bon Voyage. But, it was with the match lights, not the ball in play lights. They would light, not light, switch around randomly, etc just like you saw. Just like all the ball in play lights go thru the ball count unit the match lights go thru the match unit, or the 00-90 unit as it’s called. I disassembled that and cleaned it up and same as you, problem solved!
I’ve been doing some work recently on the stepper units, deconstructing and rebuilding them, I’ve got lots of cool pics and videos, hope to get a post up soon with those goodies.

Thanks! BTW your Bon Voyage documentation is absolutely phenomenal. As a lifetime Bon Voyage owner I so appreciate everything you have done to document it as well as its benefit to the EM world in general. Look forward to your posts on Stepper units!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Mateo, CA
2,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 34.99
Cleaner
Pinball Pro
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 295.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 89.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Bright
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside