• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zaza
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flippers-elektra (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

So I have a 'right flippers' problem on my Bally Elektra.
The 2 (upper and main) right flippers stopped working during play.
I opened the playfield and a wire from the lower level playfield was loose from the right coil.
I soldered it back (correctly) with the game shut down but no change.
Also when the game enters the lower elektra playfield after ball bonus, also only the left flipper works there.
I measured voltage on the coils and have 43V DC on the outer lugs of all right flipper coils. (not on the center lug).
If I read the schematics correct, there is no transistor that drives these flippers? Only the 'flipper enable' relay? And the one that switches power from upper playfields to lower playfield.
What could be wrong here?
ps: right flipper button has wires still hooked up and is making good contact (visually) haven't tested further on the switch

Just food for thought.... You might want to check your right cabinet flipper switch too!! I would be suspect to it if it wasn't just the main level and upper level flippers only, but if the bonus flipper is non responsive, as well.... Sounds funky. Good luck.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

So I investigated the problem a little further this evening. Keep in mind that one wire had fallen off the lower playfield right flipper coil, so I expected a short that had damaged something.
1) Remeasured voltage on my upper 2 playfield right flipper coils: All lugs had 43V DC on both flippers.
2) Took out the solenoid driver board as I expected a blown trace or bad relay (the relay has 2 contacts, one for the left flippers, one for the right). No blown traces, good continuity between the J1 and J2 pins (flipper switch returns and voltage to flippers) and from the relay
3) Took af the relay cap and simulated the on off positions of the coil --> good continuity
4) Started to investigate the flipper button cabinet switch --> switch works as intended
5) Measured continuity from the flipper buttons switch to the connector for the solenoid driver board
Well I had no continuity! I compared to the left button switch and there it was as expected.
Plugged the game back in, wiggled the connector/wires for the cabinet flipperbutton switch return and bingo.. a little spark in the connector and the right flippers worked again.
So repinned the connector and I have working flippers again (All 3 right flippers now work ok).
So funny how a wire that had fallen off the coil confused me to think in the last possible reason that the problem would be in the flipper button return switch.
But fixed and now I know how the flipper circuit works on the older ballys
Big thank you to zaza and metalkatt for the schematics and thinking along with me

Good deal!! Although it really could've added extra challenge having only left flippers going! Ha! Glad to hear you got it going again. Time for a beer!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metalkatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-elektra-right-flippers-stopped-working?tu=metalkatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.