Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Elektra (resized).png

#1 4 years ago

Hi,
My Bally Elektra lost the sound. The Squawk and Talk went from working to dead. When checking the voltages to the board I get zero volts at the -5V test point. There is -2,5ish on the connector at pin 7, and looking at the schematics the circuit has a "voltage doubler" so I'm guessing that the input value is correct.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Arch
Elektra (resized).pngElektra (resized).png

#2 4 years ago

The connector at pin7 should be from the GI bus, 6-8v AC. You might have been measuring dc voltage. How many flashes do you get on the led at startup? If you get 5, the board is booting and the -5v is present.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

The connector at pin7 should be from the GI bus, 6-8v AC. You might have been measuring dc voltage. How many flashes do you get on the led at startup? If you get 5, the board is booting and the -5v is present.

Yes, you are right, I measured DC so that might explain it.
I get four flashes on the led, and the -5VDC is not present at the test point.

#4 4 years ago

if you have the correct AC voltage at pin7, check the 2 330uf caps and and the two diodes. If they’re good, all that’s left is the 7905 regulator which I have seen fail on occasion.

#5 4 years ago

Thank you, sir. Will do.
When measuring the AC here there is no point in measuring to ground, is there? So it should be 6-8v AC between pin 7 and C37?

#6 4 years ago

Measure using the ground braid in the head.

#7 4 years ago

Solved! The S&T did indeed miss the GI voltage, and it turned out to be a bad connection at the molex coming from the light panel. I am yet again exposed to Elektra's radiation!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-elektra-no-squawk-nor-talk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.