• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BigAl56
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi all!

I'm having trouble with my Elektra's lower playfield.
The game works fine (except sound issues as well), but when you're about to play on the playfield under the glass, it doesn't function properly. You can see a video clip here:

I have resoldered the connectors on the solenoid board, used contact spray on molex-connectors and also changed the "Expander board" (I got one extra).
The light bulb that is associated with the Expander board is working as well.

I also need to mention that I have 2 new Alltek boards, MPU and Rectifier (power) board (the one located om the bottom of the cabinet).

I'm running out of ideas. ☹️

Hopefully someone had the same issues.

#2 3 years ago

It looks like your upper flippers are acting weird too. EOS might need some attention.

More info on the solenoid expander, which supplies +48VDC to the lower playfield flipper coils when in Elektra mode:

P1 switched lamp bus. Goes to anode of opto isolater triac driver MOC3011-U1
P2 Lamp SCR Connection. Goes to cathode of opto.
P3 GND

P9 +43v for relay and selected bank of solenoids
P4 Jumper brings +43v here when expander board used to do banks of solenoids. Probably NC on the harness.
P7 When relay on, this pin high impedance. When relay off, This pin is +43v (2nd bank of solenoid's hot side)
P5 When relay on, this pin goes to 43v. When relay off high impedance (1st bank of solenoid's hot side)

The relay is turned on when the lamp driver board's associated SCR turns on the expander board's lamp. When the lamp is on the opto isolated triac turns the relay on. The relay is toggling the banks of solenoids hot side while sharing a common solenoid driver transistor(which sinks low).

Can you hear the relay clicking? Can you check for the 43v? Bad opto isolated triac MOC3011? Jumper needs to be in too. It connects the 43v to the middle pin of the relay that switches to each bank side of solenoids.

#3 3 years ago

wayout440
Thanks for the explaination of the Expander board.
I will try to measure the volts tomorrow.

No, the relay doesn't click when you're supposed to play on the lower playfield. But it works when I use the red testbutton beside it.

Btw, the flippers are about to be rebuilt after I get the game working properly.

#4 3 years ago

OK, if the test button works the relay, but you don't hear the relay click in when in lamp test or gameplay, the signal for turning on the solenoid expander is coming from aux lamp driver board A9, connector J3 pin 7. First thing would be to check this wire pin and connector. The wire color is black - blue, so you might need to check continuity of that one from the aux lamp driver to the expander board. The signal is driven by Q20 transistor on the aux lamp driver board.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks!
I will look into it tomorrow.

#6 3 years ago

UPDATE UPDATE!!

I actually got it to work for a second while gently twisting and turning the contact on the Aux Lamp driver.
So tomorrow I will resolder the pins on the board and eventually make a new molex connector.

wayout440

I get 46V on P9. So that is correct. And as I said earlier, the relay works when testing it.

I have now measured continuity from the Expander board to the Aux Lamp Driver board. I have signal from my multimeter. BUT every cable on that contact (J3 on Aux lamp driver board) makes contact?! Is that really correct, or I'm I doing it wrong?

The Q20 om the Aux lamp driver doesn't seem to be a transistor, so I don't know how to measure it. But it doesn't look "fried" or bad in anyway.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

#7 3 years ago

just in relation to your flippers on the main and upper playfields, and i'm not familiar with Elektra, but i don't see any way the mpu knows when the ball is on the upper playfield to have them act independently from the lower ones.

anyway, on the lower set of flippers there should be 2 switches on each assembly, first is the EOS (end of stroke) normally closed and the second is the top flipper switch normally open.

when the flipper is energized the flipper crank must open the EOS about 3mm and close the second switch which energizes the top flippers, this second switch must make 'good' contact and the contacts themselves be in 'good' condition, not worn or pitted.
the top flippers will also have their own EOS switch, as will the lower flipper assemblies.

The EOS will break the flow of current through both windings bringing in the 'hold' winding. If this switch doesn't open correctly you will experience flipper bounce and the coil will heat up.

The erratic behaviour of the top left flipper seems to me to be a poor mating of contacts on the main lower left assembly.

#8 3 years ago

Elektra totally knows what playfield is active. It was the first three level playfield but the lower playfield has a captive ball (Haunted house was the first three playfield where the same ball traveled to all three)

At the end of a ball if you have enough Elektra units then the upper playfield is off and the lower is turned on.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Elektra totally knows what playfield is active. It was the first three level playfield but the lower playfield has a captive ball (Haunted house was the first three playfield where the same ball traveled to all three)
At the end of a ball if you have enough Elektra units then the upper playfield is off and the lower is turned on.

Maybe a misunderstanding? and sorry for going off topic.

I am referring to the upper playfield as exactly that, the top one where the ball is plunged to, then the main playfield then the lower one.
I see a wire form in the middle ramp but nothing on the other two, so how does it know the ball is on the uppermost playfield, as there is no need for it to as the flippers both work for the top and main, it's only when the ball drops the the lowest playfield the mpu knows.
Is this correct?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

Maybe a misunderstanding? and sorry for going off topic.
I am referring to the upper playfield as exactly that, the top one where the ball is plunged to, then the main playfield then the lower one.
I see a wire form in the middle ramp but nothing on the other two, so how does it know the ball is on the uppermost playfield, as there is no need for it to as the flippers both work for the top and main, it's only when the ball drops the the lowest playfield the mpu knows.
Is this correct?

I thought you were talking about the lowest playfield with Elektra.

#11 3 years ago

all good Robotworkshop

TerminatorNo1 is there any chance you can post a pic of the top and underside of your Auxiliary Lamp Driver board?

#12 3 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say that it's been a halt in working on this game. Hopefully I will continue within a couple of weeks.

But as I mentioned before, I think that the Aux Lamp Driver board is the problem here. Thinking about buying a new one. I found out that there is two models out there. One from Alltek and one from Pindoras Box. Do you think there are quality differences between them?
Alltek has been around and I guess is proven to have good quality?

Rikoshay
I will try to take pictures for you once I get the game up again.

#13 3 years ago

A flakey lamp driver board would affect the auxiliary driver boards. The lamp drivers are fairly simple in design. Before swapping out the whole board try resoldering the connector pins.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-elektra-issues-with-lower-playfield-?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.