(Topic ID: 205377)

Bally Elektra gives free credits. SOLVED

By waffen_spain

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi there!

I had my Elektra finally done, played some games but on the last one the pin wont restart at the last ball.

Turned off and on and no displays so I went to the fuses and found F4 was gone.

Every time I start the pin the F4 blows immediately.

Searching for the problem I've burnt 4 fuses, and the last time I've tried to start the pin I've seen a flash on the boards and a little smoke :/

One 8A fuse went into my fast 5A fuse box, and I just put into the F4 without verifying it

>> Replaced the lamp driver board (I think the flash came from this board) and game boots without blowing F4, BUT:
    >>
    . The sound is weird now, when you hit any switch you always get the same phrase instead of a sound effect, during selftest I cant get any sound, but if I press the soundboard test button It plays all the words correctly.

>> Replaced the Logic Board, sound problems FIXED, game plays nice, BUT:
    >>
    . From time to time, when I turn on the pin I find 10 credits even I had 0 before turning it off.

I know its too much information, and now too many questions

Were should I look to find why the game is adding credits when I start the game?

Were should I look to find why the damaged CPU is having problems with the sound?

Was the lamp driver board blowing the F4 fuse????? as far as I know, the F4 is used by the solenoids....

Thanks!

#elektra

#2 6 years ago

F4 is for the 43v solenoid bus. If that fuse is blowing you could have a shorted bridge on the power supply or a bad coil.
    Are you still running with an 8amp instead of a 4amp fuse? That could be a problem as you have a shorted bridge that wont blow the fuse but is dropping down the other system voltages.

You want to get the game to boot without F4 blowing at the proper amperage. A good way is to look for a bad burned up coil then disconnect the playfield and/or cabinet to see if the fuse blows with nothing connected to the 43v. If it does, replace the bridge.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

F4 is for the 43v solenoid bus. If that fuse is blowing you could have a shorted bridge on the power supply or a bad coil.
    Are you still running with an 8amp instead of a 4amp fuse? That could be a problem as you have a shorted bridge that wont blow the fuse but is dropping down the other system voltages.
    You want to get the game to boot without F4 blowing at the proper amperage. A good way is to look for a bad burned up coil then disconnect the playfield and/or cabinet to see if the fuse blows with nothing connected to the 43v. If it does, replace the bridge.

Hi Bigal,

Since Im not good enough in english to describe things in a short way I will try my best with a resume

1. After the last ball the game wont reset, so I turned it off and on.
    2. Pin wont start correctly, no display, so I've checked the fuses and found F4 was blown.
    3. Installed a new 5A fuse at F4, but when you turn the game on it blows instantly.
    4. Verified no burnt/locked coils and reseated all the conectors, but F4 keeps blowing
    5. During one of the test I put a wrong fuse, a larger 8A one, and when Ive turned the game on I saw a flash coming from the backbox boards.
    6. Discovered the wrong fuse, and replaced it with a 5A, also replaced the lamp driver board since I was almost sure the flash came from that board.
    7. Game boots correctly with the 5A fuse, I can play a complete game, but the sound is wrong, all switches plays voices instead of sounds.
    8. Using the selftest I've tried to check the sound board, but it doesnt work, but when I push the test button at the sound board, it plays all the voices.
    9. Since the soundboard looks to be OK, I've replaced the Logic board, and now game works perfect, finished 20 games without a single problem.
    10. Turned on the game for more testing and found 10 credits, played all the 10 credits and turned off the game with 0 credits on the display.
    11. 2 or 3 hours later I put the game to work again and found another 10 credits :/
    12. If I left the pin off for about 5 minutes and then turn it on, it doesnt give the 10 credits, but if I left it off longer it will do it.

So now I have to solve 2 problems, why in the hell the lamp board was blown by a bigger F4 fuse, and why the pin gives me 10 credits :/

#4 6 years ago

Have you checked the battery? You could be losing power to the Ram causing the stored numbers like credits to scramble.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from BigAl56:

Have you checked the battery? You could be losing power to the Ram causing the stored numbers like credits to scramble.

I think it could be the problem, highscores are also corrupted 4.444.444, and the 10 credits are only 10 cos dipswitches are set to maximun credits "10".

Previous owner replaced the battery with a condenser, my multimeter is doing funny things, so I will buy a new one tomorrow and check the voltage at TP5.

Thanks

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from waffen_spain:

I think it could be the problem, highscores are also corrupted 4.444.444, and the 10 credits are only 10 cos dipswitches are set to maximun credits "10".
    Previous owner replaced the battery with a condenser, my multimeter is doing funny things, so I will buy a new one tomorrow and check the voltage at TP5.
    Thanks

SOLVED!

Many thanks! The old condensator used to replace the battery was not able to give more thanks 1V, so RAM contents are corrupted.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-elektra-gives-free-credits-and-almost-died?hl=waffen_spain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.