By jungle_lord

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally El Toro Schematic.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jungle_lord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello everyone.

When my El Toro resets, the startup sequence seems gets to the point of kicking the ball out and nothing happens. The scores all reset to zero, the ball count unit disc advances and ball "1" is lit, the score motor stops as it should, but the ball is not kicked out and I can't score anything manually. I can advance the ball count unit disc manually and it lights up 1 through five, but does not light up "game over." Then, if I press the start button it will go through the startup sequence again, and the same thing happens.

Any thoughts?

#3 4 years ago

Sorry, I don't. And can't seem to find one.

#5 4 years ago

The "play" and "scoring" circuits must be open and not closing for some reason. I'm thinking there might be an issue with the "game over" trip relay because when I manually walk it through all five balls the "match" and "game over" lights don't light. I'm at heading to work now, but will check that later.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks Mark. Yep, the outhole switch checks out good.

1 month later
#9 4 years ago

Thanks currieddog. I tried turning off the machine, putting the ball in the shooter lane and turning the machine back on. No changes. Everything seems to work as it should except the playfield switches are dead (general illumination is on). I can make the scoring work by manipulating the relays in the backbox. The coin door switches both work and add credits. The start button on the door works fine. The slam switch is adjusted correctly (normally closed) and works as it should. Again, is I manipulate the scoring and ball index through the backbox steppers, but when I go past ball 5 nothing happens - no "game over" lights, and I can't restart the game unless I drop a dime through the first coin slot.

This is really puzzling and I bet it's something very simple that I'm overlooking.

Brad

2 months later
#12 4 years ago

Hi all! I finally got a hold of a Bally El Toro schematic and had it scanned. Definitely would appreciate any help I can get on this issue.

During the startup sequence it gets as far as 3A. - "Ball on out hole switch will energize the out hole relay thru (normally closed) #1 score motor switch, and it will stay energized thru it's own hold-in switch and (normally closed) #8 score motor switch." However, the out hole relay does not energize.

If I manually move the out hole switch the 3B sequence will perform correctly - "Out hole relay will operate the score motor and then energize the out hole kicker solenoid thru (normally open) #7 score motor switch. All general illumination is working, but nothing scores, the bumpers and slingshots do not operate, and a ball on the out hole switch does nothing.

All coin chutes work correctly, as do all tilt and slam switches. I did notice that tilting causes the tilt relay to trip, but not the game over relay.

I'm hoping someone can help me through this one. Thanks!

Brad

Bally El Toro Schematic.pdfBally El Toro Schematic.pdf
#13 4 years ago

I should add that the flippers are not energized either.

#15 4 years ago

Thanks fredsmythson. I'll check these and post an update.

Brad

1 week later
#16 4 years ago

Well I finally got time to check out your suggestions, fredsmythson, and I found that the Game Over trip relay switch had an issue. The bottom slot in the plastic actuator had broken such that when it tripped, that bottom switch did not change state. I believe this caused the switch to overheat and the contacts would not make properly. When I made sure this bottom switch actually connected, everything worked fine. I have ordered a new 7-position actuator and hopefully this will fix the problem.

My only concern is that the old actuator looks like it might have become hot and possibly melted or weakened prior to breaking. If this is the case, there might be an underlying issue needing attention.

Thanks again. I'll post again on this issue if the new actuator does not solve the problem.

Brad

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 14.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jungle_lord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-el-toro-startup-issue?tu=jungle_lord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.