• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by xsvtoys
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 54 days ago

Hello everyone.

When my El Toro resets, the startup sequence seems gets to the point of kicking the ball out and nothing happens. The scores all reset to zero, the ball count unit disc advances and ball "1" is lit, the score motor stops as it should, but the ball is not kicked out and I can't score anything manually. I can advance the ball count unit disc manually and it lights up 1 through five, but does not light up "game over." Then, if I press the start button it will go through the startup sequence again, and the same thing happens.

Any thoughts?

#3 54 days ago

Sorry, I don't. And can't seem to find one.

#4 54 days ago
Quoted from jungle_lord:

When my El Toro resets, the startup sequence seems gets to the point of kicking the ball out and nothing happens

Have you checked the Outhole switch? If that's not closing properly it might explain why the game isn't detecting or kicking the ball.

/Mark

#5 54 days ago

The "play" and "scoring" circuits must be open and not closing for some reason. I'm thinking there might be an issue with the "game over" trip relay because when I manually walk it through all five balls the "match" and "game over" lights don't light. I'm at heading to work now, but will check that later.

#6 54 days ago

Thanks Mark. Yep, the outhole switch checks out good.

#7 54 days ago

A common problem on Ballys with the not kicking out the ball is a score motor switch, or two.

PBR for a schematic ...

2 weeks later
#8 35 days ago

Are you still working on this problem? Unfortunately there is no schematic at ipdb so it is best if you get one from PBR. If you can scan it this will really help. But I might be able to help using my similar vintage Bally as a reference.

The interesting part is how you can’t manually score anything after the startup is done. How about this: what if you turn off the machine, then take the ball from the outhole and place it in the shooter lane, then turn the machine on and start a game? This simulates the situation where the game has been shut off while in the middle of a game with the ball unlaunched. It should be able to start up and be live, that is, you should get scoring when you launch the ball (or manually).

1 week later
#9 23 days ago

Thanks currieddog. I tried turning off the machine, putting the ball in the shooter lane and turning the machine back on. No changes. Everything seems to work as it should except the playfield switches are dead (general illumination is on). I can make the scoring work by manipulating the relays in the backbox. The coin door switches both work and add credits. The start button on the door works fine. The slam switch is adjusted correctly (normally closed) and works as it should. Again, is I manipulate the scoring and ball index through the backbox steppers, but when I go past ball 5 nothing happens - no "game over" lights, and I can't restart the game unless I drop a dime through the first coin slot.

This is really puzzling and I bet it's something very simple that I'm overlooking.

Brad

#10 19 days ago

How far does it get in the Game Operation sequence?
https://www.ipdb.org/files/772/Bally_1972_El_Toro_Installation_and_General_Game_Operation_Instructions.pdf

For any more than that, I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6)

#11 16 days ago

It seems like it might have something to do with the game over relay setup. A schematic is still needed to check this out. I have 2 Ballys of similar vintage but the game over relay arrangement is totally different between the two.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Haus
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 89.99
$ 199.99
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 89.00
Boards
Pappy's Pinball Palace

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside