Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0083 (resized).JPG
IMG_0084 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

We recently acquired a 1972 Bally El Toro machine that is in pretty good shape considering it's 45 years old. It's not a particularly challenging machine to play and the theme is not very exciting. My son and I have wanted to re-theme a machine for a long time, so this one seems like a perfect candidate for our first effort.

The most appealing feature of the machine is the wooden components are all in excellent condition. Wherever this machine has been, it was dry and the handlers never dropped it. The machine plays pretty good, although the previous owner replaced the flipper rubbers with regular rubbers (not sure why someone would do this?) and the flippers are a little weak. The playfield and plastics are in very nice shape also and will eventually go to someone who could use them.

So, the plan is to strip the machine, decide upon a re-theme, and start the rebuild. Sounds easy, but time will tell. Speaking of time, our goal is to follow this through, no matter how long it takes. We would like to have it completed by Labor Day, but this is competing with other projects and activities, so let's just say our goal is the end of the year......some year We will post any updates as we move along and appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Here's some pics of when the machine arrived a few days ago.

IMG_0084 (resized).JPGIMG_0084 (resized).JPG

IMG_0083 (resized).JPGIMG_0083 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Here is a thread that discusses themes, might be something to help get the creative juices flowing:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-had-to-come-up-with-a-pinball-theme-what-would-it-be

#3 7 years ago

Thanks! Lots of great ideas on there!

We have awhile before we lock in a theme, but we have a list underway;

1968 Detroit Tigers World Champs

1967 Camaro

The movie "Sandlot"

Jeeps

Silver Lake Sand Dunes

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

We recently acquired a 1972 Bally El Toro machine that is in pretty good shape considering it's 45 years old. It's not a particularly challenging machine to play and the theme is not very exciting. My son and I have wanted to re-theme a machine for a long time, so this one seems like a perfect candidate for our first effort.

" It's not a particularly challenging machine to play and the theme is not very exciting."

Why do this? When you are finished you will still have a pin that is ," not a particularly challenging machine to play."

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

" It's not a particularly challenging machine to play and the theme is not very exciting."
Why do this? When you are finished you will still have a pin that is ," not a particularly challenging machine to play."

Good point. The cabinet is extremely solid and the price was right. We want to try re-theming a machine and this should be a relatively easy project. Once it is completed, the new theme may make it more fun, but if not, other than time, we shouldn't have much invested in it.

#6 7 years ago

Good point. The cabinet is extremely solid and the price was right. We want to try re-theming a machine and this should be a relatively easy project. Once it is completed, the new theme may make it more fun, but if not, other than time, we shouldn't have much invested in it.

It won't. Usually I'll hold my tongue on this title but since you're about to put the time and work in: Around here we call this machine "El Boro". It's one of the very few black sheep of pinball to be completely honest, but at the same time, I'd hate to see any machine stripped in nice condition regardless of the title. I suggest just selling it and getting a machine you like more.

I don't think a new art package will improve this title much for you if you don't already like it.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

It won't. Usually I'll hold my tongue on this title but since you're about to put the time and work in: Around here we call this machine "El Boro". It's one of the very few black sheep of pinball to be completely honest, but at the same time, I'd hate to see any machine stripped in nice condition regardless of the title. I suggest just selling it and getting a machine you like more.
I don't think a new art package will improve this title much for you if you don't already like it.

Oh man, "El Boro"

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I almost made this mistake with my ash vs evil dead re-theme. I originally was going to use a lower end title so it would be cheap. Then I started think about all the time I'd be putting into this and decided I shouldnl;t skimp out on my donor game. I ended up going with a better game (i.e. better layout/rules) that cost a bit more but I know it will be more fun to play than the other "C" level titles I was originally considering.

#9 7 years ago

The playfield and plastics are in very nice shape also and will eventually go to someone who could use them.

If you're getting rid of the existing playfield and starting with a new layout, you'll have a much better playing game. If you intend to just sand and retheme the existing playfield, I'd suggest the same as the others - start with a game that's not a total stinker like this one.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys! Going to shop the shop the machine and play it while we decide our next move.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-el-toro-re-theme-to and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.