Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a Bally Eightball. If the game sits more than a week, when I turn it on it will not boot up, the LED stay solid green. If I turn on and off about 5-6 times it will boot up and work just fine. If I turn it on within the week it turns on fine. So by the time I start to test things, it will boot up after turning it on and off from testing stuff. Is there a capacitor somewhere that need replacing? I was thinking about a Alltek MPU for it, but I am not sure that will fix the problem.
I have had this game for 12 years now and once I fixed it all up, I have never had any other problems with.

#2 9 years ago

I would first carefully reseat the CPU, both PIAs and the RAM, J4 on MPU, the connectors on the right side of solenoid board and the connectors at the bottom of the rectifier board.

Then repeat test. If game passes, rebuild both sides of ALL connectors involved (this should be done anyway).

If game still acts wonky, you may need to replace the sockets for the above chips.

Let us know what you find out.

#3 9 years ago

I'm with cody reseating the socketed chips. My ID4 was randomly rebooting just sitting in attract mode. I chased the problem for what seemed like forever with no luck; until I reseated all the chips, problem went way. So it would appear in my case that maybe a leg on one of the chips was not making good continuous contact with it's socket; or maybe a bad solder joint where the chip socket mates to the board. Make sure you don't accidentally flip the chip around, they are intended to go one way in the sockets...keep the indents/divots whatever you call them matched up on the chip and socket.

#4 9 years ago

Ok, Thanks I will check all that.

#5 9 years ago

It's possible the power supply is not stabilizing in the time the reset circuit requires. This can be verified by shorting pins 39 and 40 on the CPU and seeing if the flashes start and game boots. Reseating chips and connectors will not make any difference in this case.

The reset circuit on the Alltek has a slightly longer stabilization period so if this is your problem an Alltek will probably fix it. If you can do board work, removing a few components in the reset section and installing a Dallas/Maxim reset chip is a much cheaper alternative.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 45.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eightball-not-booting-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.