6 days ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by TZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 days ago

Still working on my EBD that is progressing slowly. The game boots fine, has credits, sounds, test button works great (replaced), however I could not get a game to start. I noticed coin door coil was not engaging so I tested the transistor, double checked wiring and every thing checked out OK.

I decided to swap in a different driver board and voila, games now start! However the coindoor coil still will not engage. Any thoughts on what to check on the previous SDB as to why games wouldn't start? And any thoughts on why the coindoor coil will not engage with either driver board?

Thanks,
    Vince

#2 6 days ago

The coil on the coin door is a funny thing in pinball.

There was a time, when you would walk up to a pinball machine and put a dime in the coin slot, and if it didn't give you a game you would smack the pinball, beat it, lift up the front legs a foot and slam it to the ground, tip it over on it's side, kick the front door as hard as you can...

Over a dime.

And then you'd notice that the machine was unplugged or shut off.

So to avoid this, operators asked the manufacturer to place 'coin door lockout' coils on the front door. There would be a little 'finger' of metal or a wire, that when the game didn't have power, would direct the dime into the coin return. As soon as power was applied, the coil would engage, pulling the 'finger' or the wire out of the way, and allowing the dime to go to the cash pan and give you a game credit. But no power? Your coin would go to the coin return.

These coils were engaged every second power was applied, and would burn out. Plus, for home use (and a fair amount of commercial use), the possibility that these coils would fail and put a coin slot out of order wasn't worth having them connected.

So most of the games with coin door lockout coil or coils will have the little metal 'finger' or the wire bent so that coins will flow through the coin mechanism all the time, whether there is power or not. The coil will be disconnected, or if the the coil or coils have failed the front door coil would just be left inoperable.

A lot of the time a front door coils will be very buzzy/noisy. That alone would be a good reason to not have them operational.

I really don't know why your start button started working with a different solenoid driver board.

#3 6 days ago
    Quoted from TZ:

I decided to swap in a different driver board and voila, games now start! However the coindoor coil still will not engage. Any thoughts on what to check on the previous SDB as to why games wouldn't start? And any thoughts on why the coindoor coil will not engage with either driver board?
    Thanks,
    Vince

Have you repinned the connectors between the mpu and sdb and reflowed the solder on the mail pins on the boards these connectors attach to? If there are issues here it could cause intermittent problems.

#4 6 days ago

your coin lock out coil is Q9.

try briefly grounding the metal tab on the Q9 transistor and see/hear if the coin lockout coil energises.

for a game to start the coin lock out coil doesn't need to be connected.

check diode isn't open on coin lockout.

check for continuity across plug from door to cab loom.

#5 5 days ago

Since the coin lockout relay is continuously energized it's often found disconnected or dead. If the game has been used for home use they may have even stripped the drive transistor off the SD board to use elsewhere.
    I like to restore the coin handling on my keeper games converting them into giant piggybanks. Finding dead coils and transistors is commonplace. As noted above by Rikoshay , grounding the tab of the transistor should confirm if the coil is good. The +43v wires to the cathode, (banded diode side), of the coil. Shorting the Anode, (positive diode side), of the coil to ground should trigger the coil.

#6 5 days ago
    Quoted from bluespin:Have you repinned the connectors between the mpu and sdb and reflowed the solder on the mail pins on the boards these connectors attach to? If there are issues here it could cause intermittent problems.

So all of the boards have had the headers replaced and a number of plugs have been re-pinned, including the J2 and J3 on the MPU board.

However I have now discovered a number of switches aren't working, rollovers for A,B,C,D, start button. And a number of lights also don't work, balls 9-15, D,E,L,U of "deluxe". So it looks like I have multiple issues that I need to resolve. I thought re-pinning a number of plugs would help, but it literally made no difference.

Funny thing though is all switches work in test mode, including the start switch (however not all lights work though).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eightball-deluxe-won-t-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.