• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pro_sound50008.jpg
gntrain2 006.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I picked this machine up today and it has a Bally soundboard in it with what looks like factory wiring.Anyone else ever see this?I've been collecting since the mid 80's and have never encountered one like this.The board plays the same start up and game up tune as the machines with chimes coils.

gntrain2 006.jpggntrain2 006.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Haven't seen one like that before. Have seen aftermarket sound boards in place of chimes. Neat find. Is there a sticker on the sound board ROM?

#3 9 years ago

I think they did that at the end of the runs for a couple machines from the period as Bally made the transition to full electronic. I think there were some later Bobby Orr Powerplays and a few others that ended up like that too.

What's the serial number on the cabinet? Bally made like 20,000 of those Eight Balls.

#5 9 years ago

the serial number is eed12587 on both the top and lower cabinet.The panel on the inside where the chimes boxes are usually located look like there's never been anything mounted there and the wires are all covered with heat shrink tubing on the ends.I'm gonna take the mpu eproms out and check the programing to see if its any different.

#6 9 years ago

Bally issued a kit to convert any of the first 8 electronic mechanical chime games to electronic
sound chimes. It was kit K-525 that had a replacement back box cable, sound board, and all
mounting hardware. Bally F.O. 608 was the the procedure for installation of the kit for the conversion
to electronic chimes. The speaker placement on your game is where Bally specified it in the
instructions. I don't think many games were converted this way but it was an option for operators.

#7 9 years ago

Here it is.

AS-2888-2 soundboard designed as a replacment for chimes for the following pinballs: Black Jack, Eight Ball, Evel Knievel, Mata Hari, Power Play, Strikes & Spares.

It is the same as a AS-2518-50 board.
It uses a 725-22 eprom. The jumpers on this board:

a,d: always
b,c: never

pro_sound50008.jpgpro_sound50008.jpg

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/rep_soundold.html

#8 9 years ago

The board in his pic looks like a -32 and not a -50. Makes me wonder if it came that way from the factory, esp given the other comments.

viperrwk

#9 9 years ago

I've always *heard* about those sound board conversion kits but never actually seen one before in an early Bally machine. Thanks for posting the pictures. Be sure to submit them to IPDB too.

#10 9 years ago

Makes you wonder about adding sounds to those old pins instead of chimes.
Already been done?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Makes you wonder about adding sounds to those old pins instead of chimes.
Already been done?

And in some cases, people want to put chimes into games with primitive sound boards.

#12 9 years ago

I personally put in about 20-30 of these in games through out the Bay Area back in the day. I only remember converting Eight Ball and Mara Hari. We had a whole shelf with nothing but chime boxes after doing those conversions.

Took about 30 minutes to accomplish cleanly.

#13 9 years ago

My 8 ball must have been an early machine. The back glass stays in the door as the EM machines did and whole frame and glass is hinged on the left side to expose the electronic area of the back box. I have owned 3 of these games and this one is the only one I have owned that opened that way. I also have owned an Evel Kneivel that opened the same way. Just makes sense that they use up the old boxes as they made the transition.

1 month later
#14 9 years ago

Anyone have video of this game play of one of these conversions in action? Curious to hear/see what it sounds like.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

And in some cases, people want to put chimes into games with primitive sound boards.

I'm for that! I wish Paragon had multi-mode sound like Genie. I'd like the option to switch from the electronic sounds to real chimes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 99.00
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-wsound-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.