(Topic ID: 286201)

Bally Eight Ball - one digit out on P2, displays swapped, on P2?

By pb456

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pb456
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I think it's something on the P2 display connector, but I can't be sure.

This game is about 300 miles away, and I repaired the game some time ago and replaced the dead displays and redid the display connectors (repinned/cleaned/scoured as appropriate).

Displays were replaced with refurbished 6 digit displays as it was a better solution cost and time-wise.

Displays swapped to P2 work for a week or more, then that same digit goes out (hundreds I believe).

P2 display swapped with counter display (ball count display), so that burned out digit didn't affect that output. Counter display swapped with P2.

A week or more later, now that 'new' P2 display also lost that hundreds digit - even though it was good at first.

Then swapping that now 'damaged' P2 display with P4 display, the 'damaged' display in P4 (was in P2) now displays well.

The P4 display now in P2 now shows the same bad digit.

Barring a connector failure, and knowing *ALL* connectors were repinned accurately in the backbox with new connections, new MPU, reworked and tested good SDB, reworked Rectifier board, and original light board (showed no faults when I had it)...

What would be the next point to check? I would hate to recommend all new displays if the same issue would crop back up.

#2 3 years ago

have you changed the HV 100K ohm 1/4W resistors with 1/2W ones?

#3 3 years ago

These displays probably came from me. I always replace the resistors during the refurb. Feel free to send it back if it is one of mine and I will test it and fix it.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballemporium:

These displays probably came from me. I always replace the resistors during the refurb. Feel free to send it back if it is one of mine and I will test it and fix it.

I'm not sure it's the displays, I'm wondering if it's the connectors or something board-level. Not sure where to aim my attention right now. He's a good distance away, hate to send off displays if it's not going to be a win.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 99.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 179.00
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-one-digit-out-on-p2-displays-swapped-on-p2?hl=pinballemporium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.