• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG952018102095120541760.jpg
Untitled (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

A few years back, I rebuilt a Bally Eight Ball for a friend, and it's been working perfectly.

...until he moved it to another building. Somewhere in the moving and the plugging and unplugging...

All the GI bulbs on the playfield are blown; putting a new bulb in gets a bright flash, and a blown bulb. All the GI in the backbox is fine.

The _reverse_ is true of the switched lights - everything works fine on the playfield, but all the backbox lights are blown, and the sockets deadly to new bulbs.

All the coils work fine, and the game starts and plays normally. I'd troubleshoot this myself, but the machine's 500 miles away; I had time only for a quick look while I was there, and nothing jumped out at me. My friend's not a complete novice, but can't figure it on his own. Anyone have an idea where to start? TIA!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

A few years back, I rebuilt a Bally Eight Ball for a friend, and it's been working perfectly.
...until he moved it to another building. Somewhere in the moving and the plugging and unplugging...
All the GI bulbs on the playfield are blown; putting a new bulb in gets a bright flash, and a blown bulb. All the GI in the backbox is fine.
The reverse_ is true of the switched lights - everything works fine on the playfield, but all the backbox lights are blown, and the sockets deadly to new bulbs.
All the coils work fine, and the game starts and plays normally. I'd troubleshoot this myself, but the machine's 500 miles away; I had time only for a quick look while I was there, and nothing jumped out at me. My friend's not a complete novice, but can't figure it on his own. Anyone have an idea where to start? TIA!

rectifier board j1 plugged in wrong sending 43v to the GI lamps on PF?

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#3 5 years ago

This is a classic example of putting a connector on wrong because the key is missing. I'm guessing the J! playfield connector on the rectifier board was not installed properly, or was replaced and miss wired, and you have 43v on the GI bus instead of 6.3. Stop and check that connector and if the key is missing replace it immediately to insure this does not happen again.

This may also be a good time to convert the GI lamps to LEDs.

#4 5 years ago

I've passed that J1 thought along.

We'd been thinking about going LED, but wanted to get this fixed first.

#5 5 years ago

I believe on some rectifier boards that connector has an extra pin. Not only could it be connected upside down, but could be off a pin side to side.

So yes, very important to have the key in place.

3 months later
#6 5 years ago

Just wanted to wrap this: I finally got to visit the machine (and my friend) in person, and the problem was J1, just as y'all surmised. The extra pin on the rectifier board has been removed.

__Much_ happier now:

https://images.pinside.com/6/55/6554d66bc582dce8ab03764d0c6ffa325cb5f69d/resized/large/6554d66bc582dce8ab03764d0c6ffa325cb5f69d.jpg

Thanks, everyone!

IMG952018102095120541760.jpgIMG952018102095120541760.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-needs-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.