You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-933.jpg
image-779.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I am having some difficulty sorting out a lighting issue with a Bally Eight Ball. All of the playfield GI lights work 100%. The billiard balls, special playfield scoring lights and player 1, 2 etc. do not light up. Everything scores correctly. Could this be a fuse?

I am somewhat new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

Likely not a fuse. My first course of action would be to assess the connectors in the back box. With the game on and the back box door open, gently torque the various connectors on the MPU and the Solenoid driver board. If this causes changes, indicates the board connections are corroded and likely in need of rebuild.

#3 9 years ago

Verify the lamps are OK.
Player 1 ....... should have 5v on J2-16 from Q5a ( When selected)
Player2.......... " " ' J2-20 " Q18a "
Special( outlane special ?) " J3-23 " Q37a
*** see lamp driver schematic
John

#4 9 years ago

Check the connectors on the lamp driver board, bottom left board.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I torqued the connectors on the lamp driver board as well as removed and replaced them with no success. I will check the schematic and verify the voltages over the few days hopefully.

#6 9 years ago

You probably have numerous transistors out on your lamp driver board.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from budfrog80:

All of the playfield GI lights work 100%. The billiard balls, special playfield scoring lights and player 1, 2 etc. do not light up. Everything scores correctly. Could this be a fuse?

Check fuse F1 on the little board above the transformer.

Your #1 rectifier may be out too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2#post-2113931

1 month later
#8 9 years ago

Ok, I have had a little more time to investigate this. Thanks for all the help so far. I switched out the lamp driver board with an Alltek from another machine just to see and the issue did not change. I replaced the F1 fuse as suggested with no improvement. I am unsure how to check the resistor at this point. Can someone direct me a little bit?

#9 9 years ago

Do I understand correctly that playfield insert lights are out? Billard balls, for example.
If so, check BR1 on the power supply/rectifier board. Black lead on grounding wire, red lead on TP1 test point. Should be around 6.5VDC. If you don't have voltage there check F1. If that F1 fuse is okay, replace BR1.

If voltage on TP1 is good then start looking at connector J1 pins and connections.
J1-1 - white wire - 1st playfield GI return bus
J1-2 - green wire - 2nd playfield GI return bus
J1-5 - orange wire - 1st playfield GI bus
J1-6 - brown wire - playfield solenoid bus
J1-7 - blue wire - playfield switched lamp bus
J1-8 - red wire - 2nd playfield GI bus

I had similar issues lately where billiard ball lights were intermittent. Ended up being a cold solder on BR1.
Good luck!

3 weeks later
#10 9 years ago

Ok. Got to my parents house and looked a little closer at the power supply board. Pretty hacked up. There are three wires soldered directly to the board from the Playfield. Midway they also have small metal connectors. Also, I noticed that BR1 gets very hot after the machine has only been on for a couple minutes. I have replaced the F1 fuse. I get no voltage reading when I test TP1. Is this normal? I would like to just send out the entire transformer and power supply to have a new board installed. How is this possible with the wires soldered to the board? New connectors? Anyone in NE Ohio do this? I am open to any suggestions.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-779.jpgimage-779.jpg image-933.jpgimage-933.jpg
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from budfrog80:

I get no voltage reading when I test TP1. Is this normal?

Nope, if the fuse is good, the rectifier is probably bad. Common problem.

You might just rebuild the whole board and put new HD rectifiers on top.

You also should rebuild all the female connectors.

Looks like some of your male pins have been replaced, but hard to see in the pics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/2#post-2113931

#12 9 years ago

I'm having similar issues with the #2 ,5 6 and 8 ball lights on my playfeild.. I thought they were bad sockets and now im not so sure???

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

I'm having similar issues with the #2 ,5 6 and 8 ball lights on my playfeild.. I thought they were bad sockets and now im not so sure???

Get your meter out and see if the socket has power.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Get your meter out and see if the socket has power.

They were all fine except for 2 ball the other day ... That one had low voltage.
I will check them all again later.

#15 9 years ago

Not trying to hijack this thread ... My lit bulbs are 5 volts and non lit are 1 volt

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

Not trying to hijack this thread ... My lit bulbs are 5 volts and non lit are 1 volt

***** Start a new thread ******

1 week later
#17 9 years ago

Problem resolved. There was a cracked trace on the power supply board. I had the board repaired by a local pinball retail shop for a very reasonable fee. Thanks for helping me localize the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 22.50
$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-light-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.