You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU_DSW_MaxCredits.jpg
MaximumCredits.png
IMG_2117 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

We have an arcade that we are converting from door entry to a card system. Our Bally Eight Ball machine is set to free play using the MPU-100 board. When start is hit it always stays at 1 credit.
I can't find any reference that the game should have the ability to have free play with the MPU-100 board and can't figure out how to disable it.

Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a picture of the board if that helps.

thanks!

IMG_2117 (resized).jpgIMG_2117 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

See if they wired the start button to somehow indicate a quarter a game drop.

#3 1 year ago

Early Stern games don't have a free play option.

Either something was added/modified on the coin door, or modified free play code was burned on to the Eproms.

If you looked at the coin door and aren't sure, take a few photos and add them to the thread here.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from StudyHall:

When start is hit it always stays at 1 credit.

Sounds like your MPU board has freeplay ROMs installed.

Most freeplay modified ROMs for this era enable freeplay by configuring the "Max Credits" DIP switch options to the maximum setting.
It looks like yours is set to maximum settings of 40 credits. Try changing them to a lower setting and see if it disables freeplay.

MaximumCredits.pngMaximumCredits.png
MPU_DSW_MaxCredits.jpgMPU_DSW_MaxCredits.jpg

#5 1 year ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try tomorrow when I get to work and post pictures if it doesn’t work. I also get a different sound when I trigger the coin vs hitting start, everything appears wired correctly, but I’ll snap some pictures and post tomorrow.

Thanks!

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

Sounds like your MPU board has freeplay ROMs installed.
Most freeplay modified ROMs for this era enable freeplay by configuring the "Max Credits" DIP switch options to the maximum setting.
It looks like yours is set to maximum settings of 40 credits. Try changing them to a lower setting and see if it disables freeplay.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thank you so much for this. That was the issue and now I can scan the card and get a credit by setting to maximum 5 credits.

I appreciate everyone’s help. I clearly need as much as I can get.

#7 1 year ago

Stern board in a Bally game. Sacrilege!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 99.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-is-set-to-free-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.