You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

001.jpg
71Sw7Gu9jUL._SL1500_.jpg
sdfdsf.jpg
canvas.png
New-Rotary-Polishing-Kit-Set-Mini-Grinder-Tools-Drill-Dremel-Engraver_320x320.jpg
69451_zzz_500.jpg
408099a7-424b-467d-9bc6-088d4532b6b8_400.jpg
5093956-21.jpg
fgfdgd.jpg
hjkhkjk.jpg
gtblamp1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Not getting good contact on many lamp sockets. Some bulbs are dim some flicker some come on and off some don't work at all. Tried to clean . Any good tricks or tips? Or just buy 70 new sockets?

#2 9 years ago

I have a socket cleaner from pinball resource. Its a sand paper like stick with a rounded end. Works great.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Not getting good contact on many lamp sockets. Some bulbs are dim some flicker some come on and off some don't work at all. Tried to clean . Any good tricks or tips? Or just buy 70 new sockets?

Is it only the general illumination sockets or the switched lamps or both?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I have a socket cleaner from pinball resource. Its a sand paper like stick with a rounded end. Works great.

oh really eh! i tried to clean the inner nipple with sandpaper, a nail and a flat head screwdriver. didnt work on the 1st socket i tried so i gave up on that. i think ill order one

Quoted from KenLayton:

Is it only the general illumination sockets or the switched lamps or both?

it is both.

#5 9 years ago

so it it mainly the inside nipple that needs to be cleaned?

#6 9 years ago

just checked pbr and it says....

Light Socket Cleaning Stick
A tool for improving the light bulb connection with the socket. Cures some sockets not working and eliminates dull illuminating bulbs. (Not recommend for late 70-80's Bally games – due to cheap sockets being used).

what game did you use your stick on? my eight ball is 1977 bally. right in the not recommended zone

#7 9 years ago

also anyone know the part no. for these sockets? i don't see them in the manual.

#8 9 years ago

I replaced all of the lamp sockets on my old Xenon, the only way to avoid the hassle of constantly bending, tweaking and cleaning the crappy old sockets, it was a bit of work, but worth it IMO if you're going to hang on to the machine. It goes fast after you do a few, just make sure to detach them from the PF before de-soldering, it makes removal a lot easier. Good luck!

My order (for Xenon) was:
12) #A1363 staple lamp bracket 0.66
2) #A2913 laydown bracket 0.70
#A2915 3/4 playfield lamp bracket 0.70
40) #A2916 1 1/8 lamp Bracket 0.79

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from NunjoBiznezz:

I replaced all of the lamp sockets on my old Xenon, the only way to avoid the hassle of constantly bending, tweaking and cleaning the crappy old sockets, it was a bit of work, but worth it IMO if you're going to hang on to the machine. It goes fast after you do a few, just make sure to detach them from the PF before de-soldering, it makes removal a lot easier. Good luck!
My order (for Xenon) was:
12) #A1363 staple lamp bracket 0.66
2) #A2913 laydown bracket 0.70
#A2915 3/4 playfield lamp bracket 0.70
40) #A2916 1 1/8 lamp Bracket 0.79

yep just got an email back from pbr... "our lamp socket cleaning stick is useless on Bally Lamp Sockets because they were made with cheap metal."

so im thinking ill be ordering up some sockets. i can mainly stick to the playfield. most back box is ok. should not be to horrible

#10 9 years ago

To clean bulb sockets I take a green scrubbie (scotchbrite pad) and cut a strip off the end about 3/4"-1" wide. Roll it up like a doobie and tightly wrap electrical tape around it leaving the last half inch or so sticking out on each end.

alot of the time it's not the dirt, it's that the socket has a bad ground through the bracket to the ground wire on the back of the playfield.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#connect -Scroll down past the jones plugs section.

gtblamp1.jpggtblamp1.jpg

EDIT: Don and I must have posted at the same time. The picture above is exactly what he is describing. I wish there was a tool to just re-press the socket back onto the bracket, I think that would solve most of the issues with old sockets.

#11 9 years ago

This job can be a pain or a pretty easy job. The difference is all in the quality of the tools you use and your preparation. Done well, this modification does not look like a hack and works brilliantly.
Tool List: Safety glasses, lights, Dremel, wire wheel, paste flux, flux brush, wire cutters, soldering gun and one hand wire stripper.
Pull the playfield out and place on bench or rotisserie, or at least lean it back against the head. Set up some good bright lights.
You can do a handful of sockets all in the same area, to minimize picking up/ putting down the tools.
PUT ON SAFETY GLASSES!
Dremel w/ wire wheel: clean a spot low down on the barrel and the adjacent area on the bracket. Takes 5 seconds or less. You don't have to be too careful here.
Dremel w/ wire wheel to clean the 'tit' on the bottom of the barrel. About 2 seconds. Do both areas on about 5 sockets.
Put down the Dremel.
Brush a near invisible layer of paste flux on the cleaned spots on the barrels and bracket, and on the center connection 'tits'. Basically, get a fluxing brush loaded w/ flux (the brush will still look pretty much dry) and you only need to reload the flux brush every 10-20 sockets or so. A little excess flux is not an issue, just looks sloppy. Fluxing a socket barrel and tit takes 5 seconds a socket or less.
Snip off wires at lug on each socket, then strip the wires. This is the slowest part of the job. Get a good, one hand 'squeeze the handles type' stripper. You will never regret this, and never strip a wire any other way again. You will think you are a genius and you will annoy all your friends and family talking about your wire stripper. Maybe the best pinball tool ever. (Non-corrosive paste flux is a close second. Get it, use it, enjoy life without solder problems. Think you can't solder? You haven't used paste flux.) If the stripped wires are copper colored, not silver colored, then you must pre-tin the bare wire. Flux the stripped wire, heat it with gun and flow on a bit of solder.
Fire up your soldering gun. Not an iron like for board work, the big Weller gun. No gun? Stop, go to the store, purchase gun.
Grab the 60/40 rosin core 1/16" dia solder.
Pull trigger and wait to get tip hot on gun, then touch the gun tip to the bracket and barrel AT THE SAME TIME in the area you cleaned and fluxed. Allow them to get hot. Flux melts. Maybe 5 seconds, probably less.
Touch solder to barrel/bracket fluxed area, NOT the gun tip. Solder should melt instantly, if it does not, you are not heating the parts long enough. Bridge the barrel to the bracket with solder. The flux will do the work; when you do it right it's like the solder has a brain and knows where to go. Will look way better than the picture above. Do all the prepped sockets.
Melt some solder on the tip of the gun, put the solder down, grab a wire and 'tack solder' the wire to the tit. This move takes some practice. Do all the prepped sockets. When you get good, you can grab the wire with a couple of fingers and solder it without putting down the solder. Or put the roll of solder down with the end of the solder sticking up, so you can touch the gun tip to it.
THE TRICK: Do not release the trigger of the gun after you start- just move from socket to socket, bam, bam, bam. Once you get the rhythm, you will move like lightning. Remember to stand up and stretch your back once in a while.
Hate soldering? Freshly brushed metal, flux and the proper heat act together like a miracle. If you are having problems: more flux, more heat. You will figure it out. If you are not going to wire brush, flux and use a gun, DON'T EVEN START.
Cleaning the inside of the socket is your option. I do it with the Dremel, it's super fast with a tiny cup-shaped wire wheel.

Don C.

#12 9 years ago

ok that sounds daunting but i'm sure if i give it a try it wont be so bad. ill have to go buy some tools, give it a try and see how it goes. if i fail then i can buy some sockets.

#13 9 years ago

got a pic of the wire cutters?

#14 9 years ago

like these that have the spring back open....

hjkhkjk.jpghjkhkjk.jpg

#15 9 years ago

and these for strippers?

fgfdgd.jpgfgfdgd.jpg

#16 9 years ago

Kleins, on Amazon, $42. Expensive, but they are Kleins.

You won't be daunted, and you are going to need good tools.

Don C.5093956-21.jpg5093956-21.jpg5093956-21.jpg5093956-21.jpg

#17 9 years ago

ok cool thanks!

#18 9 years ago
#19 9 years ago

sweet! ill be buying. hunting for a used dremel ok kijiji. just missed a good one DOH!

#20 9 years ago

I had to replace a number of sockets on my Xenon, but I also had a lot of success with a tip I found on Pinside. Take a piece of braided wire and put it in a figure of eight around the socket and socket post. Twist the ends with pliers until the wire is tight around the post and socket. I've used this with a number of sockets I was having problems with and where it worked I haven't had a problem with that socket since. It might look a little untidy, but as a quick fix it often seems to work very well.

#21 9 years ago

This bit in the Dremel kit works wonders on corroded sockets:

408099a7-424b-467d-9bc6-088d4532b6b8_400.jpg408099a7-424b-467d-9bc6-088d4532b6b8_400.jpg

A cheap Chinese "dremel" kit is $9.99 in the USA (maybe Canadian Tire?):

69451_zzz_500.jpg69451_zzz_500.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/rotary-tool-kit-80-pc-69451.html

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This bit in the Dremel kit works wonders on corroded sockets

Is this one of the sandpaper drum bits, or something else?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from RoyF:

Is this one of the sandpaper drum bits, or something else?

No, it's like a bunch of sand glued together in a cylinder.

That way the face edge cleans the spring (unlike a sanding drum that has a screw on the face).

#24 9 years ago

better pic

New-Rotary-Polishing-Kit-Set-Mini-Grinder-Tools-Drill-Dremel-Engraver_320x320.jpgNew-Rotary-Polishing-Kit-Set-Mini-Grinder-Tools-Drill-Dremel-Engraver_320x320.jpg
#25 9 years ago

ok sweet! all good tips. ill check Canadian tire. ok this one is $40. not too bad.

canvas.pngcanvas.png

and this one is $30 on amazon.ca with free shipping.

sdfdsf.jpgsdfdsf.jpg

so im guessing the amazon one should do the trick. will the bits included do the trick you think or do i need to order any other bits? vid1900 do you have a link for that bit you posted?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

vid1900 do you have a link for that bit you posted?

This kit goes on sale for $13 all the time......

http://www.harborfreight.com/276-Pc-Rotary-Tool-Accessory-Set-62440.html

#27 9 years ago

Don't wanna interrupt the shopping spree here, but I had the same issue with my Paragon which was stored in a barn for a number of years. the sockets were crap to begin with. It's so much quicker and easier to just replace all non working sockets and keep a few spares on hand for others. It's way easier to replace a socket then to hack it. If it was a few sockets, fine whatever, but when a majority aren't working right, just go ahead and replace em. Get em from one of the websites that has bulk discounts.

Also a good pair of wire strippers makes the job easier, but you don't need the fancy ones posted above, I use a klein version of these, but I'm a Journeyman Electrician, if you just need em for pinball I can guarantee these will work perfectly for you. also you'll notice there are some built in screw cutters that come in really handy
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-7-in-Wire-Stripper-and-Cutter-06010/202039360

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from FParker185:

Don't wanna interrupt the shopping spree here, but I had the same issue with my Paragon which was stored in a barn for a number of years. the sockets were crap to begin with. It's so much quicker and easier to just replace all non working sockets and keep a few spares on hand for others. It's way easier to replace a socket then to hack it. If it was a few sockets, fine whatever, but when a majority aren't working right, just go ahead and replace em. Get em from one of the websites that has bulk discounts.
Also a good pair of wire strippers makes the job easier, but you don't need the fancy ones posted above, I use a klein version of these, but I'm a Journeyman Electrician, if you just need em for pinball I can guarantee these will work perfectly for you. also you'll notice there are some built in screw cutters that come in really handy
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-7-in-Wire-Stripper-and-Cutter-06010/202039360

ok thanks for the tips! i cheaped out and just bought a pair of these. 2 of my pin repair friends use similar (maybe the same) type so for $5 ill gamble where did you get your sockets from?

71Sw7Gu9jUL._SL1500_.jpg71Sw7Gu9jUL._SL1500_.jpg

#29 9 years ago

my dremel and this cutter came today by the way so list complete (except i need a better iron) im going to try a socket or 2 and see what happens!

#31 9 years ago

If you are going to be replacing a bunch of sockets I'd recommend getting the Hakko FR300 desoldering kit. It's a little expensive but it works great and it's so fun you'll be looking for things to desolder. the proper tools make any job easier and more professional looking.

#32 9 years ago

ok so last night i tried the socket mod suggested above. for the finicky bulbs the fix worked great. they are on solid now. but the bulbs that were plain out it didnt work so im certain it is the transistors or src's on those ones. so my friend is coming monday and will hopefully peg down and replace all the bad src's

i do see why you recommend the klein strippers now. the ones i bought are a bit of a pain but they work. i don't have to do that many sockets afterall so ill live.

so how do you deal with these flat sockets?

001.jpg001.jpg

#33 9 years ago

I try to repair them when I can, usually rust is my determining factor as to whether or not I repair or replace. You can clean that flux up with a q-tip and some naptha.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 99.00
Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-corroded-lamp-sockets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.