(Topic ID: 233812)

Bally Eight Ball Champ stand-up target help ...

By gweempose

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1262587508.png
Capacitor #2 (resized).jpg
Capacitor #1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I just picked up an Eight Ball Champ. It is my first 6803 game, so I am not super familiar with the hardware. I noticed that some of my stand-up targets were not registering fast hits. When I lifted the playfield to investigate, I discovered that the target switches had little capacitors connected to them, but it looks like one leg was purposely cut (see photos). I'm guessing the capacitors went bad at some point, so someone cut the leg to make the targets work again. I have a few questions ...

1 - Did these capacitors come installed on the game from the factory, or were they added later?
2 - Would replacing these capacitors with new ones fix my problem?
3 - I need to place an order from Marco. Does anyone have a link to the correct capacitor on their site?

Thanks!

Capacitor #1 (resized).jpgCapacitor #1 (resized).jpgCapacitor #2 (resized).jpgCapacitor #2 (resized).jpg
#4 5 years ago

Thanks! I'll grab a bunch of those capacitors from GPE. Based on that diagram, it appears that there are also supposed to be capacitors on the rollover switches. On my game, only one of the three has a capacitor, and like the other switches, one of the legs is cut. I'll replace them all.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Replacement caps would be 0.047 uf. I didn't see them at Marco though, here's a link for them at Great Plains Electronics: https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CCD-0.047uF-100V

A couple quick questions. The capacitors that are currently in my game are Y5P's, and the ones you linked to are Y5V's. What is the difference? Also, the ones in my game say "12V", but the ones at GPE are 100V. Does this matter?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The digits refer to the operating temperature range of the capacitor and how much its capacitance can vary in that temperature range.
See "Table 1. Types of Ceramic Capacitors" here:
https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/5527
This is a low spec circuit, don't get too caught up in this particular characteristic in this application. The Great Plains capacitors frunch linked will work fine.

Thanks! I just ordered them.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from newbieinKC:

My EBC has caps on all of the rollovers and on the targets behind the drops. All of mine are intact except for the one I cut from my right rollover when it was repeatedly scoring ghost hits after the machine "warmed up". My rollover seems to work fine without it.

My right rollover works fine with a slow moving ball, but it often doesn't register a fast moving ball. I'm hoping adding the capacitor will fix this. The order from GPE should be here is a day or two.

1 week later
#11 5 years ago

It took nearly two weeks, but the capacitors finally arrived today. I put one on every rollover and standup switch, and the game is now working perfectly. Thanks again to everyone for their help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gweempose.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-champ-stand-up-target-help-?tu=gweempose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.