Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by wayout440
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

Alright. So, I picked up a Bally Eight Ball a few weeks back. When I bought it, I was told the MPU was flaky (the board looks HIDEOUS) and that I had the option to buy the game with an Alltek. I declined to buy the Alltek. Three weeks later, game went crazy. Some light sockets refused to turn on, a little later, a chime coil stopped working. Did a power cycle - coils started locking on. Game stayed off, Alltek MPU ordered. Even if that's not the issue here - I should have an Ultimate MPU regardless.
Followed the install instructions exactly, checked for 5 on TP1, came in exactly at 5.25 - on the highest acceptable number, but in acceptable range.
Put in the Alltek, the game did indeed start up, but coils still acting odd, bulbs as well.
What's the next troubleshooting step here? Solenoid Driver? I really appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Eric

5.25, I assume volts DC? Measure the AC ripple there to check power supply caps. (This is not likely the cause of your problem, because usually a problem with the logic power will cause random or no boot up, and not cause the game to "go crazy")

Any signs of current or former corrosion around the battery area? This can spread like a disease when poor attempts have been made to clean.

Coils locking on random and other crazy usually points to logic problems, and if the boards have been worked on by someone inexperienced it would have to be gone through with a fine tooth comb. There could be wrong parts, solder shorts, trace damage - you name it. These games are also notorious for needing a LOT of repinning on the header pins and connectors. Go through the service docs for each board one at a time, performing any needed repairs and upgrades (there are a few for this series on each board), repin where necessary and then revisit the situation for advanced troubleshooting.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

#5 5 years ago

Really appreciate this info. Gonna check the AC (I should have to begin with, will do it tonight or tomorrow morning.) That very well could be my issue. There are times the game won’t start up.

If the power supply doesn't reveal a problem, pay close attention to the cables delivering logic power to the CPU. The connectors need a gas tight fit to deliver good current. Repinning the connects helps a lot. Http://www.pinrepir.com/connect/

#8 5 years ago

Okay guys, I measured the AC - it bounced around a lot and then settled at 10.5. It should be at 15, right?

Not sure what you are measuring. AC ripple on the +5VDC logic voltage should be in millivolts (mV) - well under a volt. When dealing with electronics you really need to specify the units of measure.

#10 5 years ago

No need to apologise. Measuring AC ripple is just a check for the quality of your DC power. When you post meaaurements without a unit of measure it makes it difficult for us to interpret what is going on and give correct advice.

#12 5 years ago

With my new meter I came in at:
5.26V DC
38mV AC

btw...The numbers are spot-on. You have a healthy power supply Glad you got it running!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Kalamazoo, MI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-eight-ball-acting-odd?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.