• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

085_(resized).JPG
084_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Anyone ever tried to make a new credit button for an early Bally SS machine from plastic (e.g. a 3-D printed version)? I have an idea I want to try but I have no way to create the button itself.

-scott

#2 8 years ago

I can do an epoxy resin version which would be an exact copy in resin in any color you like. Would that work?

#3 8 years ago

I'd be interested in working on something like that. I have my CAD and my 3D printer ready to go. I also have some classic Ballys to test on. Let me know if you want me to help.

--Luke

#5 8 years ago

Thanks guys for the replies! Can the epoxy resin and/or the 3D printing be done in a way that will let light through?

I don't know that much about either process...

-scott

#6 8 years ago

How much light do you need to let through? You can get translucent filament, but I don't think it will print crystal clear or anything.

--Luke

#7 8 years ago

Epoxy resin I use is very translucent using the right colors and has the look and feel of ABS plastic. 3D printed parts will have very rough finishes and poor translucent properties. 3D printers are great for prototyping or for producing structural parts

Mike V

#8 8 years ago

Would not need to be crystal clear - just let light pass through (e.g. like an opaque PF insert).

End result would need to "feel" similar to the metal credit button but obviously be in the new material - not be rough to the touch but I imagine either could be sanded smoother.

What would you guys charge me to make a sample and ship to 29334?

-scott

#9 8 years ago

Pm sent

#10 8 years ago

Yeah, a 3D printed button may not have a perfectly smooth finish. I wouldn't charge you anything to make and send one to you with the caveat that my hobby time is a bit limited, so it might take me a while to get to it.

--Luke

#11 8 years ago

RacingPin, what material do you use for casting the resin? Is it silicone?

--Luke

#12 8 years ago

Luke

It is a platinum cure silicon.

Mike V

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from RacingPin:

Luke
It is a platinum cure silicon.
Mike V

Ah, ok...cool. I've always wanted to try that, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

--Luke

#14 8 years ago

OK...apparently I lied about it taking a while to get done. I sat down last night and drafted it up. Here's a first draft of what a 3D printed version might look like on my printer. It's blue because I don't have clear plastic yet (it's coming in the mail). You can see the texture of the top of the button. I may not be able to get it any smoother than that. A more expensive printer or a Commercial one (e.g. Shapeways) might be able to get it smoother.

I didn't take a picture, but it is a perfect fit in the coin door.

--Luke

084_(resized).JPG084_(resized).JPG
085_(resized).JPG085_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#15 8 years ago

Luke -

Thanks for making one! So, by the picture it almost looks like it is "ribbed" on the front? Am I reading your post and looking at it correctly?

-scott

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from drscottsmith:

Luke -
Thanks for making one! So, by the picture it almost looks like it is "ribbed" on the front? Am I reading your post and looking at it correctly?
-scott

Yup...you're seeing it right. I might be able to get it smoother, but for the most part that is how 3D printed stuff looks.

--Luke

#17 8 years ago

Ok....may have to try another method. I think it will be best to have the button face smooth like the metal one.

Thank you again for taking the time to draw it up and make it!!

#18 8 years ago

No problem. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

--Luke

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10.00
$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-early-ss-credit-button and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.