• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61f5364b98c0b0dd3b0e83a8820d21fab0fc7636 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThePinballCo-op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Too Long Didn't Read: Everything seems to work but nothing works as it should all together.

================================================================

Working on a Playboy. The game boots and goes into a terrible-looking attract mode where some lights flash and some do not. The order at which they flash do not appear to be the same every time. Players 1-3 sort of operate in attract mode. The game often reset every 10 seconds or so. If you managed to start a game the scoring would be wonky and the score displays wouldn't read right and it would sometimes appear as if it was in test more (all 1s, then all 4s or something 20 seconds later, etc).

Test mode would show most lights worked, all the solenoids worked, all switches worked, and P1-P3 scores worked.

The connectors on the rectifier board were 50% toasted. I assumed all the issues would be solved by replacing the connectors but after doing a bang-up job if I do say so myself, zero issues were resolved. The game still reset, the lights didn't flash properly, etc. The test points on the rectifier all test OK.

After reseating all the connectors the game stopped resetting. I let it sit there for 5 minutes and it didn't reset once. As soon as I put a ball in the trough the game reset. WHAT?

After playing around a bit, the left flipper died and all solenoids died. Only the right flipper worked. I had no idea what I did! After not doing a damn thing, the left flipper re-activated but all solenoids remained dead.

THEN THE SOUND DIED

Then, right in the middle of a game I managed to start, the sound mysteriously came back. What!?

All the switches have worked the entire time and remain the only reliable thing about the game. The lights, displays, and solenoids all seem to come and go.

Bad MPU?

That's my guess but I ran out of time and now I'm day-dreaming what the problem can possible be.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Pookiegus:

You can start here in the troubleshooting part of the manual on page 14. . .
https://www.ipdb.org/files/1823/Bally_1978_Playboy_Manual.pdf
For me, I'd start with the power supply and rectifier board. Make sure you're getting the correct voltages from all the test points on the board. Be careful when taking readings as there are lethal voltages on that board. . .

Fantastic reply and I appreciate it very much. You took the time to source videos and links and that's not lost on me. ty.

I didn't say so in the OP but I did indeed test the 5 test points on the rectifier board. All 5 tested out OK.

I also tested the fuses but I did not test the fuse holders or the bridge rectifiers. Thank you for the video.

Good to know about MPU. I have a spare MPU so maybe I can pop that in and see what happens. If it's bad, I'll do what you suggest in your write up and see if I can save some money. Plus it'll be a fun and neat little project.

I did test the AS-2518-22 test points minus TPs 2 and 4 which were under the shield. All test points were good. I've never replaced a capacitor before, thank you for the video.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 69.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThePinballCo-op.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-early-solid-state-power-issues-so-confusing?tu=ThePinballCo-op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.