Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tester_sch (resized).jpg
tester (resized).jpg
20221114_210719 (resized).jpg
20221114_210654 (resized).jpg
20221114_210707 (resized).jpg
20221114_210712 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

It's wax that's leaked out from the transformer running warm/hot.
Measure the output voltages to determine if it's still any good and in spec. Running LEDs instead of incandescents will reduce the strain on the transformer if you're concerned.

Agreed. All transformers can be tested. Identify the pinout of the lugs. Understand the common lugs (assuming its center tapped) and how to properly test and you can determine without question whether or not there is damage. VAC for testing inputs and outputs. OHMS for testing if anything is shorted before even powering up.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Many years ago, I made a simple transformer/coil tester to quickly check a coil. It is based on the coil (or transformer) inductance. If a coil has DC voltage across it, and thus current flowing, disconnecting voltage makes the coil try to keep current flowing and a reverse voltage appears across the coil.
This simple circuit shows the voltage across coil with a red LED lighting when the button is pressed. When the button is released, the red LED turns off, but there will be a short flash of green LED, as the coils stored magnetic field turns into reverse voltage, indicating the coil is OK.
This will not work with all possible coils, but for most pinball coils and transformers, it is OK.
[quoted image][quoted image]

So even though transformers are strictly A/C chopping up the D/C signal across the specific windings acts in the same way as a switch mode power supply (mosfet interrupting D/C current) vs. linear power supply ?

Obviously this is a much slower comparison but the reverse voltage effect is essentially proving the same. Surprised the green LED is able to pick up the change. Must be rather significant.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The human eye is quite good in picking up the short flashes of green led. Anyway the energy stored in a coil can be quite large, and give a longer flash.
The AC transformer works by magnetically (via the iron core) connecting primary and secondary windings. Voltage (or current) change in primary winding changes its magnetic field, which in turn generates voltage in the secondary winding. Of course, with AC power, the voltage changes continually at 50/60 cycles per second, making the secondary winding to follow it. This causes a voltage to appear across secondary winding, depending on the ratio of primary and secondary coils.
If the primary has 1000 turns, and secondary 100 turns, then the voltage across secondary winding is 1/10 of the primary. If the primary is connected to 115 volt AC, there will be 11.5 volts at the secondary.
However, in my tester, all coils, whether in transformer or pinball solenoid can be handled just as a single coil. Basically, draw current through a coil, then stop it and the coil shows reverse voltage.

I understand how transformers work and thats a good explanation. I was thinking you were somehow capable of getting an output on the secondary by chopping up the D/C current the same as a switch mode power supply but thats not the case. Your simply testing each winding individually for back voltage which makes more sense and could certainly be picked up by using the green LED. Where the Mosfet inside a SMPS is switching thousands of times/second. Thats where you were losing me.

Cool unit though and if it works/proves coils are good, even better! Thanks for sharing.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

This is just a simple go/no go tester.
For more accurate testing of transformers, a good way is (with an unconnected transformer) to feed AC voltage into one known good secondary and then check the voltages on all the other secondaries and primary winding.
Many pinball transformers have a 6.3V G.I. secondary. Connecting it to 6.3VAC source, you should be able to check all the other voltages, even the primaries.

I never considered putting a voltage source on the secondary to test the other outputs and primary. I just always powered up the primary with 110v and tested the outputs. And if I questioned anything before hand I ohmed out the lugs between each winding.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Goonie:

Good info. Much appreciated. I'll test this out when I get a moment and see where the readings come out. Running sketchy power supplies always gives me the creeps, so I would want to be fairly sure it's solid.

PBL came up on a Google search actually, for the following.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AS-2877-1
It has X's & O's on the compatibility list, but obviously the rectifier is different. Think this is on here because the transformer voltages can be lined up? I haven't asked them as yet.

In general the most reliable piece of hardware in any pinball/coin op machine is the transformer. They are true work horses that seemingly last forever in many instances. And the older units are usually much more robust and heavier duty then anything new you come across.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The transformer doesn't care which is its primary or secondary.

Thats right which is weird to think about but easy to understand when you do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Blake.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-e-122-142-transformer-melted?tu=Blake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.