Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg
IMG_1717.jpg
IMG_1716.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi all. This will be my first post at Pinside! Happy to have found this site.

As I mentioned in my "story" page, I inherited a Bally D&D machine from my wife's grandparents, and it has worked great. It is my only machine, and the first one I've ever worked on at all. It needed a few lights changed, and some other misc rejuvenating, like new rubber and balls. I also switched out the rechargeable battery that has been the downfall of many 6803 games for the AA package, and that has worked great. At one point, a few years ago, it had some trouble with the opto board that senses ball in the chute and acts as switches for the chute. I was able to find enough info online, as well as an updated replacement opto board, and made the change easily and it hasn't been a problem since.

The reason I need some help now is that the game powers up just fine, but refuses to start a game. Here's where I am at:

When powered up, the game comes to life, lights work perfectly, displays work perfectly. I'll try to attach some pictures. The start button is working, because when I press it, the display reads "1-4 can play credits yes". It resumes its idle behavior of cycling through the following messages "game over", "1-4 can play free play", and "00 00 00 00" afterwards. The lights are in the attract pattern with no problems. But the start button doesn't want to initiate gameplay. Is there a setting that I have wrong? I have the 6803 gamepad hooked up and working, and am reasonably adept at getting through the "Bally Testing is as Easy as ABC" menus. The only switches that are closed are the three outholes, because there are balls in the chute. When manually closed, other switches display as closed, so I am pretty confident that everything is right as rain there.

There is no sound/music. This has been sorta flaky the entire time I've owned the game, and it's something I've been meaning to get around to. It cut out a while ago. I think it's an unrelated problem, but I'm not positive. Would a sound problem disrupt the game from initiating? Don't know, but don't think so.

The flippers (and magic saves) don't activate when I press the buttons, even though the switches close. Not sure if they're supposed to activate when not in active game mode (standby/attract mode).

I hope that I have provided enough info to help someone help me. If any other information is needed, I'll be happy to do what I can. Sorry if there are mistakes with the lingo. I really appreciate places like Pinside. Sorry if this ends up being a double post.

IMG_1716.jpgIMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpgIMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpgIMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1719.jpgIMG_1719.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I've had a similiar problem before with my Special Force, which is also a 6803 game. Wont start a game, will not take credits and there is no sound etc....
You have to go into the 'Basic option values' section and adjust things like the credit limit, balls per game, match option, credit display, free play, sling shots, tilt warning.....things like that, before it will ever start a game. Also check some of the "Feature Options" as far as holding onto any locked balls at game over and also for setting the attract sound etc.
I would start there, especially with the "Basic option values" section and see what you find. Let me know what you figure out.
Good luck,

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#3 8 years ago

I had the issue of not being able to start a game when I switched to an NVRam chip to eliminate the batteries. I had to do as John said and reset some things. I was able to start games then.

This section on Pinrepair is very helpful about such caused by low or dead batteries.

http://www.pinrepair.com/6803/#deadbat

#4 8 years ago

You guys nailed it. The batteries needed replacing, and the credit limit was set to 00 (should be between 1 and 40). All is right with the machine now, except the sound. Someday I'll get around to that. Thanks so much guys for your help. This site rocks.

#5 8 years ago

Glad to help. Gotta love those 6803 games.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

1 week later
#6 8 years ago

I had an issue with the sound on my D&D, turned out to be a loose pin on the board where the plastic connector met, took about ten mins to pull it and resolder but it fixed that problem for good. Looking the boards over later I found quite a few cold solder connections.... Hope your fix is as simple as mine was

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-dungeons-dragons-game-not-starting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.