Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

reset links (resized).jpg
reset spacer (resized).jpg
IMG_7441 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Does anyone sell parts for the Bally drop target units ? My Captain Fantastic is fantastically worn out in this department. Lots of slop in the linkage. Targets randomly stay down. New targets, tightened springs, no change. Tons of slop in the pivot points from the coil on out. The outside reset arms are sloppy. There were over 150k pins made by Bally between 1975 and 1980, and most of them have drop targets. Really surprised there isn't a rebuild kit for this high wear item.

IMG_7441 (resized).jpgIMG_7441 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Here's a few things to look at in the order I'd try them, but depending on your budget you might buy the used unit early in the process.

1. Figure out exactly which metal pieces are worn
2. Call the usual suppliers and ask if the part(s) you need are available.
3. For parts that aren't available, decide if they can be repaired of fabricated.
4. Buy this used unit

ebay.com link: SS Bally NIGHT RIDER Pinball Machine 5 Bank DROP TARGET used pinball parts

2 weeks later
#3 5 years ago

Two of those target banks can be found on the 1976 Bally Night Rider (EM) that I am currently restoring. Half of the targets in a bank stayed down upon resetting due of all the slop in the mechanism. I got parts from Marco. Banks working flawless now.

Most of the slop was caused by the "reset spacer blocks", so replaced those with new ones:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/S-2162

Replaced the coil sleeves, cut to length (50.9mm):
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7068

Furthermore, I swapped the outside links with ones from inside the bank. These didn't have the worn center holes, which cause more slop. The links inside the bank (attached to the drop targets) were installed "upside down" so the worn edges are facing up and don't touch on anything anymore.

reset links (resized).jpgreset links (resized).jpgreset spacer (resized).jpgreset spacer (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlottesville, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-drop-target-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.