Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7d9aea5d8d0e902142a838a2ea04f1bc5263245b.png
    20211014_091701 (resized).jpg
    20211014_091656 (resized).jpg
    160619-blue8 (resized).jpg
    20211013_104559 (resized).jpg
    20211013_104611 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 2 years ago

So the bends basically are just raising the 'up' position of the targets, right? The targets only have a small nub in the center that catches on those bent edges. If that's the case I can't figure out why this would have a noticeable effect on bricking(?)

Maybe the bend actually really is reducing how much of the target's nub is grabbed, because of the way the edge is bent.

#4 2 years ago

Like this... but it's a tiny bit exaggerated.

I really can't see the 'ramp' effect having an effect. The target's nub is flat on the bottom. When the target is hit it's still only going to travel horizontally along whatever edge it is resting on, bent or not.

I worked on some Stern and Bally drop units but never noticed this kind of bending so my guess is it is not factory.

160619-blue8 (resized).jpg160619-blue8 (resized).jpg
    #6 2 years ago

The 'bump' means the target latches a tiny bit higher too, so they should spring downward a tad faster too. And being a little higher it could be slightly changing the leverage point on the target when it is bent back by a hard hit, how it is hitting the rubbers behind it etc. Could be a combination of effects I guess.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember seeing pictures of someone here a few years ago who glued stiff steel wire in the back channel of his drop targets to minimise this issue of them flexing?

I tried that on one of my Lightning's center drop targets, couldn't really see any improvement. And other things like stronger springs. Never have been able to completely lick the problem.

1 year later
    #30 1 year ago

Even with Swinks targets, the center bank was still bricking on my 81 Lightning. That bank gets mercilessly hammered on this game, with the factory flippers needed to make the ramps. Not as much as the repro hooded targets, but still bricked sometimes. The above-mentioned trick I tried was on the metal drop target ledge - I sanded the top edge with very fine sandpaper to remove any possible roughness and polished the ledge shiny with buffer wheel and polish. Those ledges were simply punched out at the factory and not 'finished'.

I can tell the difference when pushing the targets with my finger, target moves smoothly before dropping. Before they felt hitchy/grabby as they moved off the ledge. In fact after the smoothing I found one of the Swinks target's ledge nibs had gotten so chewed up by the previously rough ledge, now it wouldn't even stay up on resets!! I attribute this to that particular spot on the ledge being extra rough + the somewhat stronger springs I had installed months ago. Other two targets were fine. Bricking seems to be much rarer now, not annoying me anymore. I figure the unfinished edge of the ledge was helping the targets get snagged as they bounced forward after a hard hit. Should also prevent excessive wear on the target nibs especially if you are using stronger springs. Not saying this is a total fix, but it helped.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frenchmarky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-drop-target-bricking-fix?tu=frenchmarky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.