Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7d9aea5d8d0e902142a838a2ea04f1bc5263245b.png
    20211014_091701 (resized).jpg
    20211014_091656 (resized).jpg
    160619-blue8 (resized).jpg
    20211013_104559 (resized).jpg
    20211013_104611 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigAl56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 2 years ago

I personally researched this when I was at Bally in the 70s. We invested in a Polaroid super-slow-mo instant 8mm camera projector, which was SOA at the time. This allowed Desi D' Percel and myself, actually Desi did the work and I watched, to examine the way targets reacted when hit by the ball and learn why they didn't always fall. When slowed down we learned that when a ball hits the target head on at fast speed the top of the target bends backward into the rubber behind it and bounces back forward before the spring can pull it down. There was no real fix for the problem without a redesign or finding an alternate material to make the targets out of. Any redesign could potentially infringe on Gottlieb's patents so the only fix implemented was adding a ledge to the top of the target.

Best fix I know to this date is to replace the targets and springs with new parts as the legacy parts are probably worn and dried out.

3 weeks later
    #19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Apex:

BigAl56 I want to say its awesome to hear from they guys who did the testing. Are there any other component tests or problems that you can remember or share?

Far too many to list here. As time goes by I chip in whenever someone revives a memory.

1 year later
    #24 1 year ago

Unfortunately there is no tried and proven fix for Bally DT bricking. If the targets and springs are new just enjoy the game as it is what it is. If anyone comes up with a documented fix for Bally target bricking please post it in a new thread.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Is that what ended up happening at Bally? Not being a smartass here but I can see mgmt saying it's good enough stop working it.

I myself will keep trying things.

Gottlieb owned the patents. Bally was limited in what could be done with their available tooling. It was decided the targets worked well enough as-is. If anyone would like to embark on an upgrade project I would start with Gottlieb and reverse engineer. Just don't infringe on any active patents that PBR controls.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigAl56.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-drop-target-bricking-fix?tu=BigAl56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.